The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 7.0

Screw dreger and all the idiots in the Toronto media. After Gillis' final offer, the laffs made it clear that they wanted Luongo for nothing.

Also, it was wishful thinking on anyone's part if they thought Luongo was moving at the deadline. To all the naysayers, I'm willing to bet we will get better offers in the summer when more teams will have things sorted out going into next season.

The Leafs were ok with theyre own goaltending... but were willing to take on Lui for nothing, if the Canucks were that desperate to move him...

Reports that the Canucks last asking price was Scrivens and two 2nd round picks.... unless Luongo gets to come in and steals the show come playoff time... Im talking conn smythe performance... we're gonna get raped in any Lu deal come the offseason.

Gillis is pooched. I've been saying to trade Cory since last trade deadline. People said we'd move

one then... Then draft...then this deadline. If leafs wouldn't take that we're Scrooged. Let Cory go. Lu is a good goalie. Our playoff failures aren't on him. Schneider is just not much younger and could demand a big long term contract to resign.

Gillis is pooched. I've been saying to trade Cory since last trade deadline. People said we'd move

one then... Then draft...then this deadline. If leafs wouldn't take that we're Scrooged. Let Cory go. Lu is a good goalie. Our playoff failures aren't on him. Schneider is just not much younger and could demand a big long term contract to resign.

You know it. To me, I did not see a sad Luongo because he didn't get traded. I saw a heart broken Luongo who realized that the possibility of actually being traded was right around the corner. His guts turned yesterday afternoon...

I think what we have in Vancouver is a real gent of a man with a sensible, sensitive, passionate personality that is sometimes taken right out of context. He was drilled hard by the media today and stood high in the face of adversity like never before, fielding all questions in a professional and honest manner.

Yes, his contract sucks. He and everyone involved knows. Gillis also mentioned it in his presser, that Luongo's contract made sense at the time of the signing but that this game is lucid in its inner workings.

No knock on Cory Schneider, who is an excellent goaltender, but he is of no match to Luongo if Luongo gets his head in it. As per TSN's panel today, Luongo's contract is so immovable now and perhaps even in the summer due to a reduction in salary cap, that it is starting to make sense and cents to look at moving Schneider instead. This trade deadline, the returns of a Schneider trade could have put this team in better shape for a Cup for these upcoming playoffs but the returns from a Schneider trade this summer could put this team over the top and put it back as favorites for a few years yet.

And the Canucks would still have Luongo in net, which is not a bad thing at all.

Theoretically, Schneider could be worth the 1st overall or at least of the 1-5 top picks and the Canucks could then proceed in selecting a future T1D which they never had in the history of the franchise.

Wow can this season get any crazier?

In the present the team is better having Luongo and Roy vs Scrivens and a couple picks.

On a personel level this season has been a disaster of epic proportions. Raymond contract clawback, Malhotra forced retirement, the botched Volpatti waiver, Ballards bizarre treatment, Kesler and Booth injuries, Kassian, Edler and of course the Luongo situation.

The fact that this team is doing as good in the standings as they are is also unbelievable. Can we honestly say aside from Raymond, Higgins, Hansen and Tanev that anyone is meeting or exceeding expectations???

This next 4 months will be a survival mission for management and coaching.

I feel sorry for Roberto the way he has been treated by fans and management as he seems like a good person. Should have played game 5 against the Kings.

Is it possible that we eat a portion of the contract reduce it to 25 million to increase possible partners and then get fair value for said player.

Sorry, read half way down in tsn article. Gillis said Lu nixed trades.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419791

'Gillis said getting the right compensation in return has been the biggest stumbling block in dealing the 34-year-old netminder. He also said that there have been deals on the table that Luongo turned down, since he has a no-movement clause in his contract.,

We will get a better return in the summer. This is just like last year with the Nash trade. Yeah, he may have a shorter term, but his cap hit is ridiculously high. Columbus tried to offload him at last year's trade deadline, and I think the Rangers were even rumoured to be one of the teams inquiring about him during then. Of course, the Rangers did end up getting him in the summer.

As I said, I do not deny Schneider's talent in the least. But when Lou's on his game, it's incredible. The argument still stands. They're both super goaltenders and the Canucks are reminiscent of a rich man who has it all but cannot get out of depression to save his life; an abundance of riches.

Moving Schneider might be the only way to solve this problem. He will have two years left at $4.000 MIL while Luongo is on a lifetime contract.

As I said, I do not deny Schneider's talent in the least. But when Lou's on his game, it's incredible. The argument still stands. They're both super goaltenders and the Canucks are reminiscent of a rich man who has it all but cannot get out of depression to save his life; an abundance of riches.

Moving Schneider might be the only way to solve this problem. He will have two years left at $4.000 MIL while Luongo is on a lifetime contract.

I somewhat agree.

I think Luongo when on his game was the best goalie in the league, in 2011. I haven't seen enough of him at this peak to say that with complete confidence anymore, although I am sure at his best he is still right up there.

Cory at his best is there too now, I agree with what oldnews said earlier that trading Luongo for nothing wouldn't be a loss this franchise. Theres the asset in moving the deal and mending things with Roberto. Who the fan base very much still loves despite accepting Cory as the guy.

I'm hopeful though that we can probably get a prospect or a 2nd or 3rd or something at the draft. Not a complete loss. And even if it isn't that. Someone will take him he's that good and there are ways around the long terms affects of the contract. I don't really see it as bad as some do. And I am sure at the measley price of a mid prospect or a 2nd or 3rd someone would stomach it no problem knowing what they are getting in Roberto Luongo.

I hope it doesn't got a second past the draft though, I am getting tired of talking about it now and if it goes past that I can't imagine how much more we will get sick of it.

I personally don't believe that really happened actually. Just Dregger pulling stuff to make MG look desperate to get rid of him. But at the same time, he makes Nonis look stupid for rejecting that offer too. Goes both ways.

I personally don't believe that really happened actually. Just Dregger pulling stuff to make MG look desperate to get rid of him. But at the same time, he makes Nonis look stupid for rejecting that offer too. Goes both ways.

Archived