212 replies to this topic

#91 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,571 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

Why did we give him up the first time???

Also means ott is not coming to van

I don't think it was the money I think it was the length of the contract that saw the two sides part ways.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#92 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,420 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

yeah hes going to solve the powerplay and our defence... and our scoring woes...

better yet, maybe he can run somebody in game 1 to fire up the other team!

No but at least he hits and plays with an edge. You know, actually looks like he gives a crap?

This team is playing like a bunch of pansies right now. Time to get some fire back.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#93 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

What a joke.

That's just bad management if that's the case.

Giving up assets for someone you originally had in the first place.
Posted Image

#94 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

What a joke.

That's just bad management if that's the case.

Giving up assets for someone you originally had in the first place.

What would you rather have? A GM who loses out in negotiations and then decides he hates the player and crosses him off as a possibility?

Sometimes things don't run perfectly and if GMMG decides to trade a 4th for Torres, I'm glad he's wise enough to not be too stubborn to fix mistakes.

#95 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,420 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

What would you rather have? A GM who loses out in negotiations and then decides he hates the player and crosses him off as a possibility?

Sometimes things don't run perfectly and if GMMG decides to trade a 4th for Torres, I'm glad he's wise enough to not be too stubborn to fix mistakes.

Exactly. If he's willing to correct mistakes that's a good thing.

Torres for a 4th or 5th rounder? That's an easy trade. Those picks can be re-acquired.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#96 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

I would love to have him back.

Posted Image

#97 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

Gillis is a dumb fack who should've signed him in the first place and given Torres what he wanted - 1+ year.

#98 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

Well, if you couldn't agree on terms in the first place you're only admitting now that you made a mistake, you are accepting those terms and giving up assets in the process.

A double whammy. It just looks bad.
Posted Image

#99 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

Well, if you couldn't agree on terms in the first place you're only admitting now that you made a mistake, you are accepting those terms and giving up assets in the process.

You have no idea how negotiations work - it's not some model or like EA Sports NHL 2007.

The fact is it might look bad to a rainy day fan, but I'd rather have a GM who is willing to put aside his ego to win.

#100 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

I'd admit to a mistake and acquire an asset for cheap. I'd like to have Torres back mainly because he plays on the edge and adds good bottom six depth.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#101 FinishEveryCheck

FinishEveryCheck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Clowe Kesler Burrows
Raymond Bozak Hansen
Torres Lapierre Higgins

A few simple trades that would only likely cost us Luongo, a 2nd, a prospect, and a 4th or 5th round pick.

Significantly upgrades our roster.

I agree deniro.
Lets see what happens tho , maybe Gillman an gillis have a blockbuster up there sleeve.
Gragnani 2.0 won't cut it

#102 Beluga Whale

Beluga Whale

Trust me I'm a whale

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

I don't think it was the money I think it was the length of the contract that saw the two sides part ways.

Yeah, I remember Gillis only wanted to give him one year, while Raffi wanted two.

bluuuuga.png

#103 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

MG screwed up the teams dynamics and chemistry when his ego wouldnt give Torres and Ehrhoff the raise that they earned.

All the 2011 team needed was an upgrade on Sammuelsson and we were set for another run.

#104 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

This report is inaccurate and they will not trade for Raffi. Normally, I wouldnt post tweets however if it quashes inaccurate info then I think its worth it.

I tweeted Jason Botchford of The Province a couple of days ago about the Pheonix fire sale. My Q/response is in the following. The torres part was in middle of convo so thats why the transition is awkward.

Nice. Wouldnt mind Torres either. Ideal guy to have for playoffs.

His response...

@rum0r1 not much chance of that. They're not fans at Rogers aren

Asked him a question today.

@botchford Is there any link between Gillis watching Phx SJ game and reports out of bay area that Clowe could be dealt as earll as today

His response

@rum0r1 that's a better guess than raffi Torres

My tweet back.

@botchford In my defense others are linking Canucks and Torres. IE Elliot Freidman stated on the HNIC Hotstove Nucks may take Torres back

His response back

@rum0r1 that's what I was referencing

I would trust Botch over Friedman because Botchford has to deal with the Canucks on an every day basis and knows the Canucks better than Elliot.

This is not to say Elliot doesnt have any credibility I think he is an awesome nhl insider and great at what he does (among my top 3 favorites) however this is one of those situations where he simply got the story wrong.

Edited by canuckbeliever, 31 March 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#105 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

MG screwed up the teams dynamics and chemistry when his ego wouldnt give Torres and Ehrhoff the raise that they earned.

All the 2011 team needed was an upgrade on Sammuelsson and we were set for another run.

Erhoff is replaceable.....his contract is not worth it and Torres don't know why not two years

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#106 BertuzziJr 2.0

BertuzziJr 2.0

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

This report is inaccurate and they will not trade for Raffi. Normally, I wouldnt post tweets however if it quashes inaccurate info then I think its worth it.

I tweeted Jason Botchford of The Province a couple of days ago about the Pheonix fire sale. My Q/response is in the following. The torres part was in middle of convo so thats why the transition is awkward.

His response...

His response

My tweet back.

His response back

I would trust Botch over Friedman because Botchford has to deal with the Canucks on an every day basis and knows the Canucks better than Elliot.

This is not to say Elliot doesnt have any credibility I think he is an awesome nhl insider and great at what he does (among my top 3 favorites) however this is one of those situations where he simply got the story wrong.

Botchford has zero inside info trust me on this. He is not thought of highly inside Rogers Arena, Elliot is

Edited by BertuzziJr 2.0, 31 March 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#107 El_Capitan

El_Capitan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

His response...

His response

My tweet back.

His response back
[size=4]

Botchford is a dolt.

Tabloid journalism at its best.

Posted Image

#108 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,651 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

Botchford has zero inside info trust me on this. He is not thought of highly inside Rogers Arena, Elliot is

This.

IMO there is a decent chance we obtain Raffi.

The fans love him and it would probably only cost a 3rd/4th rounder.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#109 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

Erhoff is replaceable.....his contract is not worth it and Torres don't know why not two years

Tell that to the 30th rank powerplay.
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#110 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

I sure hope not as he is to old and to reckless in his play for todays game.We would be on the PK tp much and he has lost a step in his game. :picard:
Posted Image

#111 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

I sure hope not as he is to old and to reckless in his play for todays game.We would be on the PK tp much and he has lost a step in his game. :picard:

He is 31.. He has 13 PIMs this year (Henrik has 20 and Burrows has 38) I haven't watched him play much this year to dispute if he has lost a step but his age and his penalties he takes is not a problem.

#112 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

I can't for the life of me recall what happned to his face there.

Me either but I'm going to blame the Bruins and have all my bases covered.

#113 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

Tell that to the 30th rank powerplay.

I suppose this is where someone has to chime in with a comment like, "Yes, because Ehrhoff is making such a great difference on the 29th ranked powerplay..."

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#114 cool story bro

cool story bro

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:33 AM

His response...

His response

My tweet back.

His response back
[size=4]

Botchford blows chunks

I'd trust Big Ry the Twitter Guy or even Eklund over Botchford. Or even HockeyInsiderr.
Posted Image

#115 Mclean1

Mclean1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:07 AM

another grinder is going to help get rid of all our offensive issues....2nd or 3rd line center should be a must not a grinder.with or without torres this team is bound to be out 1ST ROUND if we don't get help in the middle.

Edited by Mclean1, 01 April 2013 - 01:08 AM.

#116 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:12 AM

So when negotiations fell through with the Canucks and he signed a 2-year deal worth $1.75 million per season with the Coyotes I wondered: why the hell didn't Mike Gillis sign him to that kind of deal. Well, Raffi spoke to the Province on Saturday and let the cat out of the bag.
"I've loved watching Shane Doan play and there's some good young talent there," Torres said. "And I'll have a chance to have a bigger role there than I had in Vancouver. But most of all, I get a little security. I needed to have that security because I was making a decision for three, and not one. I had to think about my family."

"The Canucks wanted me back but for a year and at the same money. I didn't want to be in a position where I was on a tryout contract again. I have to move beyond that."

Ok, note that last sentence. The same money? Torres made $1 million with the Canucks. Did he deserve to be on a tryout contract again? Hell no. Not after the season/playoffs that he had. So Gillis signs a health risk in Marco Sturm instead. Gillis feels that Sturm is more versatile in that he can use him in the top or bottom 6, which is true. And Torres couldn't bring that? Did he even get a fair shake to prove himself in the top 6? Hey, I'm not the coach/GM so I'm just venting here. Sure, we KNOW that Sturm can play anywhere on the roster. But Gillis signed him to a $2.25 million deal! Torres may have settled for $1.5, and I still think he could have brought more to the table if given a chance.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup, 01 April 2013 - 01:13 AM.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#117 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:04 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#118 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,633 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:23 AM

The Nuck will get penalties whether Torres is on the team or not. Might as well get something out of being penalized (a big hit)

I like those penalties better than the lazy hooking and holding ones we seem to get a lot of.

#119 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:01 AM

I think Gillis can think about 3 things at once..

Upgrading the 4th line is better than not upgrading the 4th line.

He has trouble thinking about one thing at once.

If he traded for Torres now it would be like him turning to Manny and saying get dressed. Torres isn't out of this team because of a few thousand dollars it is because MG considered him as not fitting his "good human being" profile. In other words Torres was seen imo as a character liability.

CDC are as bad as MG. Loss of focus at the drop of a hat. We need a first and a second line forward and a big "ball breaking" D. The rest is just gravy.
Kevin.jpg

#120 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:36 AM

Can't believe people don't want Raffi back.

You want more energy and hard hitting in this team, but you don't want the players that are willing to do it?

You want Gillis to be a better GM, but you're calling him an idiot for being willing to admit and fix a mistake he made?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. You people just want to complain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.