The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks to trade for Raffi Torres

This report is inaccurate and they will not trade for Raffi. Normally, I wouldnt post tweets however if it quashes inaccurate info then I think its worth it.

I tweeted Jason Botchford of The Province a couple of days ago about the Pheonix fire sale. My Q/response is in the following. The torres part was in middle of convo so thats why the transition is awkward.

Nice. Wouldnt mind Torres either. Ideal guy to have for playoffs.

This report is inaccurate and they will not trade for Raffi. Normally, I wouldnt post tweets however if it quashes inaccurate info then I think its worth it.

I tweeted Jason Botchford of The Province a couple of days ago about the Pheonix fire sale. My Q/response is in the following. The torres part was in middle of convo so thats why the transition is awkward.

His response...

Asked him a question today.

His response

My tweet back.

His response back

I would trust Botch over Friedman because Botchford has to deal with the Canucks on an every day basis and knows the Canucks better than Elliot.

This is not to say Elliot doesnt have any credibility I think he is an awesome nhl insider and great at what he does (among my top 3 favorites) however this is one of those situations where he simply got the story wrong.

His response...

His response

My tweet back.

His response back

I would trust Botch over Friedman because Botchford has to deal with the Canucks on an every day basis and knows the Canucks better than Elliot.

This is not to say Elliot doesnt have any credibility I think he is an awesome nhl insider and great at what he does (among my top 3 favorites) however this is one of those situations where he simply got the story wrong.

His response...

His response

My tweet back.

His response back

another grinder is going to help get rid of all our offensive issues....2nd or 3rd line center should be a must not a grinder.with or without torres this team is bound to be out 1ST ROUND if we don't get help in the middle.

So when negotiations fell through with the Canucks and he signed a 2-year deal worth $1.75 million per season with the Coyotes I wondered: why the hell didn't Mike Gillis sign him to that kind of deal. Well, Raffi spoke to the Province on Saturday and let the cat out of the bag.

"I've loved watching Shane Doan play and there's some good young talent there," Torres said. "And I'll have a chance to have a bigger role there than I had in Vancouver. But most of all, I get a little security. I needed to have that security because I was making a decision for three, and not one. I had to think about my family."

"The Canucks wanted me back but for a year and at the same money. I didn't want to be in a position where I was on a tryout contract again. I have to move beyond that."

Ok, note that last sentence. The same money? Torres made $1 million with the Canucks. Did he deserve to be on a tryout contract again? Hell no. Not after the season/playoffs that he had. So Gillis signs a health risk in Marco Sturm instead. Gillis feels that Sturm is more versatile in that he can use him in the top or bottom 6, which is true. And Torres couldn't bring that? Did he even get a fair shake to prove himself in the top 6? Hey, I'm not the coach/GM so I'm just venting here. Sure, we KNOW that Sturm can play anywhere on the roster. But Gillis signed him to a $2.25 million deal! Torres may have settled for $1.5, and I still think he could have brought more to the table if given a chance.

Can't believe people don't want Raffi back.

You want more energy and hard hitting in this team, but you don't want the players that are willing to do it?

You want Gillis to be a better GM, but you're calling him an idiot for being willing to admit and fix a mistake he made?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. You people just want to complain.

Archived