The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Armchair experts: Why can't the Canucks score?

murray hall

I love all the claims that they "lack heart". Someone with a level head reads that as "we have no idea what's wrong so we lump together positional issues, turnovers, loss of puck battles, lukewarm faceoff %, confused PP, and an inability to generate quality chances and get to rebounds". Take that Disney "heart" crap and stuff it. This isn't the Mighty Ducks. There are numerous breakdowns defensively and offensively, some are related, some aren't. Only the simplest of minds prefer a one-answer solution to multiple team-wide problems.

5 on 5 this team doesn't stack up against the others.

As for the power play there is simply no excuse for how dreadful it's been. When you can put out a combo of

Henrik (former scoring champ, MVP)

Daniel (former scoring champ)

Burrows

Raymond

Edler

Garrison

Bieksa

Hamhuis

There is no reason to be clicking along at 5%. Especially when it's was the league's best a short time ago. Sure losing Ehrhoff was tough but he didn't make a 5% PP operate as the league's best. This group and the coaching staff are to blame for the dud PP.

Aside from the obvious offensive challenge, what I really find tiresome is that when asked about the problem the players talk a good game, but they don't walk the talk. So if you don't want to believe they are idiots, then the answer must be a lack of heart.

After the Boston series management tried to change our teams formula from 'skilled' to 'tough' and it hasn't worked. Lack of scoring from losing and trading skilled goal scorers whome I will leave unnamed. I think it's pretty obvious if you have been paying attention.

The media is all over it: powerplay is pretty much ineffective... the Canucks have barely won a number of recent games by narrow margins in low-scoring games but no one can really put their finger on what the problem is. Is it just that Kesler is out, and so if other teams contain the Sedins, they can pretty much shut down the Canuck attack?

What do the Canucks need to do? Has the team reached its peak, having become a step or two slower than everyone else, all of a sudden? Seriously, this lack of scoring is so unlike the Canucks we've become used to over the past decade. Everyone's worried somewhat. :sadno:

CDC is crawling with 'experts' that seem to have answers for everything. What's wrong with our scoring and how do the Canucks get it back on track? :excl:

David Booth.. We needed a 2nd line winger and we got David booth.

He's a good player but the wrong guy for kesler. Being hurt all the time doesn't really help either. Had we gotten somebody else that had better chemistry with kesler, maybe our fortunes would be different.

The media is all over it: powerplay is pretty much ineffective... the Canucks have barely won a number of recent games by narrow margins in low-scoring games but no one can really put their finger on what the problem is. Is it just that Kesler is out, and so if other teams contain the Sedins, they can pretty much shut down the Canuck attack?

What do the Canucks need to do? Has the team reached its peak, having become a step or two slower than everyone else, all of a sudden? Seriously, this lack of scoring is so unlike the Canucks we've become used to over the past decade. Everyone's worried somewhat. :sadno:

CDC is crawling with 'experts' that seem to have answers for everything. What's wrong with our scoring and how do the Canucks get it back on track? :excl:

We have to many hot/cold players. Higgins,Hansen,Raymond are all hot/ cold players. When tere hot we am score when there cold we can't.

In our cup year we had more consistency and Torres was really our only hot/cold player.

I think it's good to have players like that, but not when there all on your top 6

Wait ....

In our Cup run,Torres was our only hot/cold player? That means that Higgins, Hansen, and Raymond would NOT have been streaky then. Kinda defeats your argument.

On our 5 on 5 play, the answer is obvious. We have players centring three lines that don't scare anyone.

As for our PP, the Sedins are overpassing. Our confidence is shot since we can't even set up many times. We miss Kesler and Salo. I'm hoping Garrison improves things with more time on it, but who knows.

I could be being pessimistic but I think the Canucks rely too much on the opposition players not hitting the corners of the net. That game was a good example that occasionally, if you give up point blank chances, the opposition is going to pick the corners very effectively and blow you out.

This is the main reason why the Canucks get blown out occasionally and why Luongo gets a bad rap despite being a very good goalie.

That happened in games 3/4 against Boston and the whole Stanley Cup run would have never existed if Patrick Sharp hadn't shot a potential series winner into Luongo's chest in game 7 overtime.

The only question is whether other top teams would fare any better given the same circumstances as last night. By that I mean 3 perfect shots to start the game.

That's pretty questionable. The Sedins numbers this season 5 on 5 have been more or less the same as their numbers in the much praised 2010/2011 season. Their compelte lack of powerplay scoring almost completely accounts for the difference in total numbers. The most plausible explanation therefore is that there's nothing wrong with the Sedins. It's the powerplay. Get it going and they'll return to form.

Booth has actually put up slightly better numbers than Sammy since the trade. Both guys have been crippled by injuries this season but when healthy, there's really no basis to say Booth is any worse of a player.

A more apt comparison would probably be...

Salo vs Garrison...a matchup Garrison wins hands down. He's tougher, more durable, and better defensively. He actually puts his shot on net too.

Torres vs Kassian...again, clearly an improvement. He's more skilled and has superior physical tools. Both are streaky scorers but I'd still take Kassian.

Hodgson vs...nobody. We can debate the merit of trading Hodgson and whether we'd be better if we'd kept him, but don't forget: He was never really a key part of the team for long and never at the same time as Erhoff, or durring our big 2011 run. We were pretty darn successful in 2011 without Hodgson. Hence, his absence should hardly mean, by itself, that we can't be effective now. If you're looking at it specifically as a "then vs now" comparison, Hodgson doesn't factor in.

Erhoff vs Tanev...admittedly, we haven't truly replaced Erhoff with Tanev since they're completely opposite players and Tanev was with the team in 2011. Still, Tanev is much, much better now. He was a great depth option in 2011 but now he's rounded into a real top 4 D man that can play big minutes against even top competiton. Again, Tanev and Erhoff bring completely opposite skill sets but still, I don't think you can say one is "worse" than the other.

There are other areas where this team has improved as well. Hanses has also developed a lot. He's much more of a real scoring threat than he was in 2011. We've got a better 4th line now as well. So no, you're wrong. The Canucks aren't really any worse in terms of tallent, at least when healthy.

Our 2nd line being out of action has forced our 3rd line to be our 2nd and our 4th to be our 3rd, don't know how you expect much scoring with that?? Also though MG should have taken care of this by trading one of our goalies or Booth or Ballard to get an upgrade at forward.. Hopefully by the deadline, our team still needs to get used of Garrison but that's not the main problem. He's played good so far in my eyes, let's just hope Kes comes back playing the way he is supposed to and that MG makes a good trade.

Archived