The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Armchair experts: Why can't the Canucks score?

murray hall

As we saw in the latter half of last season, the whole culture of the game has shifted away from the high skill that the game changed to at the end of the last lock out back to a bit more clutch and grab style, which helps the defenders more against the style the twins play since they can just push them over, paired with the twins just getting older and losing some of there shiftiness which made them elite offensive threats.

Paired with Keslers string of injuries caused by his kamikaze style in the cup run two years ago and the lack of prospects due to the inevitable high draft picks this team has gotten over the past few years have lefts us barren of young offensive prospects to fill these voids.

Essentially, the window for this team to win has closed as I just dont see any of the offensive flashes that would suggest this team can turn on the scoring, and our lineup is a bit to small to handle the a physical grindy game through 4 rounds of the playoffs

Lol at the idea that kassian booth and ballard being injured is a key reason.. Because these players have provided so much offense while playing this year right?

Lol this forum is too funny.

Im not convinced that even Kes coming back right now would make much of a difference.. is he gonna score three goals a game on a night like tonight?

Why cant some of you just deal with the fact that this team is playing lazy uninspired hockey? Why not call it as it is instead of dreaming up excuses? The pp is in a coma, the defence has been brutal all season and the canucks cant seem to play a full game start to finish.. what does that have to do with kesler or any other player being injured? Do these excuses allow a pass to all the other players on the ice or to av? Come ON

Many people thought we would do just fine without Ehrhoff, Salo, and Samuellson. And for a short time, we did, but it is obviously not lasting. We've basically replaced them with Tanev, Garrison, Booth, and Kassian.

Ehrhoff was the driver of the offense in his 2 years here. He made everyone on the team better. He played 25 mins a game when we had all those injuries. I assure you that Kesler would not have gotten 40 goals and neither Sedin brother would have won the Art Ross without Ehrhoff.

When Ehrhoff left, we still had Salo, who also made everyone on the team better. I consider his hard shot a bonus. His real assets are his smarts and puck movement. Garrison is too one-dimensional. Edler is now by himself no longer being paired with a partner that makes him better.

Samuellson, while he did shoot the puck a lot, he was great at protecting the puck. His passing ability is also severely underrated. He's a very smart hockey player.

Basically I believe our ability to pass and move the puck has severely diminished with losing players like these and replacing them with raw strength and speed.

Many people thought we would do just fine without Ehrhoff, Salo, and Samuellson. And for a short time, we did, but it is obviously not lasting. We've basically replaced them with Tanev, Garrison, Booth, and Kassian.

Ehrhoff was the driver of the offense in his 2 years here. He made everyone on the team better. He played 25 mins a game when we had all those injuries. I assure you that Kesler would not have gotten 40 goals and neither Sedin brother would have won the Art Ross without Ehrhoff.

When Ehrhoff left, we still had Salo, who also made everyone on the team better. I consider his hard shot a bonus. His real assets are his smarts and puck movement. Garrison is too one-dimensional. Edler is now by himself no longer being paired with a partner that makes him better.

Samuellson, while he did shoot the puck a lot, he was great at protecting the puck. His passing ability is also severely underrated. He's a very smart hockey player.

Basically I believe our ability to pass and move the puck has severely diminished with losing players like these and replacing them with raw strength and speed.

I would put kassian back onto the first line, kassian seemed to bring energy and make the sedins work harder as well as having the physical presence.

After that is done you need to get some form of a second line established in an attempt to get some chemistry and scoring opportunities going, kesler leaves a huge dint in the second line: burrows - lapierre - higgins

Leave the third line as it was: raymond - schroeder - hansen , they seemed to have great chemistry when on song.

Archived