64 replies to this topic

#1 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

It's clear that Schneider is the future of the team; he's younger. However, he lacks experience, and he simply does not know how to handle situations like this. He's a young goalie without that many games under his belt. This team needs a veteran like Luongo to keep thing under control.

Just look at tonight. Say what you want about Luongo not having any pressure any more, but if you're going to compare Luongo and Schneider as a starter, tonight's meltdown has redefined the term.

If this team is to succeed in the post-season, they HAVE to keep them both. Cap doesn't really factor into this anymore, as there isn't anything to spend money on anyway. Gillis showed he doesn't intend to make any moves when he pretty much let Iginla go without so much as a raised finger.

Luongo is still going to be at this level for the next 2-3 years. That's our window in terms of goaltending. Let Lu play 25-30 games and relieve Schneider during his weak games. Luongo can be our failsafe, and I'm sure he won't complain since he knows he is aging, and the team is still a contender.

I know it sounds weird to say we should keep both goalies, as Schneider has an amazing 0.00 sv% tonight, and Luongo was likewise terrible at first. But tonight doesn't define the 2 goalies' skills. All this game did was prove to us that Schneider is clearly not ready yet, though he almost is. Keep Luongo around, please. Put in some random backup and tonight's game is suddenly 7-0.

LoB

Edit: Let me make it more clear: Schneider does not know how to deal with meltdowns. His FIRST start of the season? 5 goals on a whopping 9 shots. You have games where you allow maybe 4-5 goals on 20 shots over 2 periods, but it's a whole different story when you let in more goals than you face shots. I'm not saying Schneider is weak-willed. But this is something you learn by playing more. Since our goal is to win the cup and not to simply compete, that kind of process must be bypassed, and Luongo provides that bypass. Why don't you all move past the team Schneider/team Luongo crap and think about this for a second?

Edited by LordofBrussels, 30 March 2013 - 10:29 PM.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

POPULAR

I wouldn't exactly say he doesn't know how to handle situations like this.

We didn't give him a chance.

He didn't have a chance on either shot and AV had a quick trigger finger. Cory will be just fine.

zackass.png

#3 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

Forget trading the goaltenders, lets trade Gillis for Shero.

All his talk about not afraid to make the tough decisions and bold changes are BS.

The Pens were already cup favourites before the Morrow and Iginla trades but he still felt the need to improve their team.

If that was Gillis he would have stopped after acquiring Murray...

#4 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

Please stop regurgitating threads.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#5 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

POPULAR

It's clear that Schneider is the future of the team; he's younger. However, he lacks experience, and he simply does not know how to handle situations like this. He's a young goalie without that many games under his belt. This team needs a veteran like Luongo to keep thing under control.

Just look at tonight. Say what you want about Luongo not having any pressure any more, but if you're going to compare Luongo and Schneider as a starter, tonight's meltdown has redefined the term.

If this team is to succeed in the post-season, they HAVE to keep them both. Cap doesn't really factor into this anymore, as there isn't anything to spend money on anyway. Gillis showed he doesn't intend to make any moves when he pretty much let Iginla go without so much as a raised finger.

Luongo is still going to be at this level for the next 2-3 years. That's our window in terms of goaltending. Let Lu play 25-30 games and relieve Schneider during his weak games. Luongo can be our failsafe, and I'm sure he won't complain since he knows he is aging, and the team is still a contender.

I know it sounds weird to say we should keep both goalies, as Schneider has an amazing 0.00 sv% tonight, and Luongo was likewise terrible at first. But tonight doesn't define the 2 goalies' skills. All this game did was prove to us that Schneider is clearly not ready yet, though he almost is. Keep Luongo around, please. Put in some random backup and tonight's game is suddenly 7-0.

LoB

Schneider lets in two goals that weren't his fault early in the game directly after he posts a .99 GAA and a .964 SV in the past six games and all of a sudden he is "not ready"??? Are you kidding???

Relax everyone it was one terrible 5 minute defensive strech. The Canucks (and Schneider) will bounce back like they always do.
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#6 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

I have always been a supporter on keeping Luongo.
Always been and will be a classy guy.
He deserves to be on this team, as he approaches his retirement in the near future.
Even though he let in 2 bad goals this evening, I feel he still got the determination in him. :)

Edited by lappy40, 30 March 2013 - 10:25 PM.

o5udj8.jpg

medium.jpg CDCFL medium.jpg CDCEHL medium.jpg CDCSTHS

*Commissioner of CDCYHL*

#7 xereau

xereau

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

Let's ship off the coaching staff first.

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man:
brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the

timid join him; for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."

Mark Twain

#8 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,094 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

It won't matter if the 18 skaters keep playing such a brand of hockey(past 15 months). I'd say trade'em both, turn over 50-70% of the team, next yr or two, if they don't wake up.

Long as you acquire youth, size & skill- fans can have some hope.

#9 Gman

Gman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

Cap drops 6 mill next year...can't afford to keep em both. Of course other teams know this too which is why no trade has happened yet.
Posted Image

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." - H.L. Mencken

"When you understand why you don't believe in other people's gods, you will understand why I don't believe in yours."- Albert Einstein

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs." - Unknown

"Atheism is a non-prophet organization" - Unknown

#10 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

I don't think we "have to", but I feel if we don't get a decent return at the deadline, that option is completely acceptable.
We will have a much better chance at gaining more assets in the offseason if the deadline doesn't work out.
Posted Image

#11 ghjffbali

ghjffbali

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

LoB

Schneider is NOT a young goalie. He is 27, an age that you associate with a veteran player. Schneider has payed his dues in the AHL for three years while winning the equivalent of a Vezina and leading his team to the Calder cup finals. He is a goalie that will continue to be labeled as "inexperienced" by people like you who refuse to stop coddling him and letting him start full-time. Until he starts, he will continue to remain inexperienced. Even though Luongo and Schneider have good relations, BOTH want to start. Also, the Canucks can't afford to keep both due to cap reasons unless they dump key players just to keep them together. Don't say cap is irrelevant when you damn well know IT IS.

This was a team meltdown. Schneider let in 2 goals in his first 2 shots because there is a breakaway 12 seconds into the period followed by the great Andrew Ebbet screening him. AV didn't need to pull him but he ended up doing so anyways. Luongo let in 2 goals in his first 3 shots. Wasn't impressive either. We stuck with Luongo anyways because Schneider just got pulled and because the team in front was flopping so it wouldn't have even mattered who was in net to begin with. I don't blame Luongo for the goals either. Poor guy hasn't played in two weeks and gets called in cold 2 minutes into the period. Didn't expect him to play well but he got better as the game progressed and as the Canucks tightened up significantly. Tonight was hardly a goalie meltdown.

You do realize Iginla has an NTC and probably didn't want to go to Vancouver. Also, the price for Iginla was a 1st, top prospect, and a secondary prospect. Our farm is thin anyways and Jensen and a 1st is a high price for someone who could very well walk when his contract expired. Blaming MG for not getting Iginla is BS and you should know better.

In all honestly Luongo has 5ish years left in him as a starter and like I said earlier, he does NOT want to be a BACKUP. If Schneider is the starter, the Canucks ought to trade him (especially for cap reasons). Luongo should not rot as Schneider's backup when there are others who can accomplish this (and are cheaper) and we should trade him for assets.

#12 CrazyAL

CrazyAL

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

I think it's nuts to keep both goalies, 9 million dollars! i get it as a fan who cares but if I'm a owner I question that. If they bounce in the first round here, I can't see how MG doesn't feel the heat from above.

#13 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,215 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

I think it's nuts to keep both goalies, 9 million dollars! i get it as a fan who cares but if I'm a owner I question that. If they bounce in the first round here, I can't see how MG doesn't feel the heat from above.

Agreed.

This team cannot keep both goalies. Absolutely not. 4.5 million dollars or more is tied up on the bench not doing anything every game. Then we have Ballard - not even playing close to his paycheque. Or Booth, even though he's on the IR, but he's been a disappointment ever since we got him. So that's nearly 16 million dollars tied up in players not doing ANYTHING helpful.

There are so many things wrong with this team I could write an f'ing 10 page report on it.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant, 30 March 2013 - 10:45 PM.

Posted Image

#14 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

LoB

Edit: Let me make it more clear: Schneider does not know how to deal with meltdowns. His FIRST start of the season? 5 goals on a whopping 9 shots. You have games where you allow maybe 4-5 goals on 20 shots over 2 periods, but it's a whole different story when you let in more goals than you face shots. I'm not saying Schneider is weak-willed. But this is something you learn by playing more. Since our goal is to win the cup and not to simply compete, that kind of process must be bypassed, and Luongo provides that bypass. Why don't you all move past the team Schneider/team Luongo crap and think about this for a second?

That opinion sir is pathetic .

#15 CrazyAL

CrazyAL

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

Agreed.

This team cannot keep both goalies. Absolutely not. 4.5 million dollars or more is tied up on the bench not doing anything every game. Then we have Ballard - not even playing close to his paycheque. Or Booth, even though he's on the IR, but he's been a disappointment ever since we got him. So that's nearly 16 million dollars tied up in players not doing ANYTHING helpful.

There are so many things wrong with this team I could write an f'ing 10 page report on it.

Yep goalies is just one of the issues, the amount of money thrown around on bad contracts is nuts.

#16 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

Yeah, I don't see goaltending as our main issue right now. I'd rather have the extra money to sign a star player from one of the teams out of playoff contention at this point. Whether or not that trade is out there is apparently another story..

#17 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

All his talk about not afraid to make the tough decisions and bold changes are BS.

The Pens were already cup favourites before the Morrow and Iginla trades but he still felt the need to improve their team.

Bang on.

#18 winter

winter

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

dumb thread
how do you think goalies get experience? by having the confidence of the team, being the no 1 starting goalie and not battleing for ice time

Edited by winter, 30 March 2013 - 11:13 PM.

#19 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

I disagree that it was simply Gillis being 'out GM'd'. Morrow and Iginla picked Pittsburgh for good reason: they were in a different conference (so their GMs would feel fine about trading vs. say to a rival), and they were favourites to win the cup. Vancouver has had a mixed bag of a season, and you can't blame Iginla and Morrow for choosing what team they thought gave them the best chance at a cup before retirement.

There was no way they were coming here.

#20 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,752 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

No - they have to keep both for the simple reason that NOBODY else wants them.

NOBODY else wants them.

If they did - one would have been gone by now.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#21 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

That opinion sir is pathetic .

why, cause he isn't praising Schneider?

you show your Schneider bias in everything you post, stop talking until you can be objective.

#22 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

Maybe im just a conspiracist...

But its like they are trying to save Schneiders stats.. If that was Lu.. GUARANTEED he plays the whole game.

I dont think AV has ever pulled a goalie so fast in his whole career.

You got to admit, Lu has handled this very well and at one point he was the captain of this team. He probably really loves this team. For all we know Lu is going along with this Schneider is the starter, goaltending fiasco to build up Cory's worth and downplay his own.

Example. Lets say Gillis goes to a team and says i want (top tier player) for Lu... They laugh in his face and say, throw in schneider instead and then we can start negotiating.. Bla bla.

Is this whole Lu trade, goalie controversy just a big decoy for Gillis' main plan??

Wont know until either the trade deadline or the draft/off season...

#23 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

I keep beating the drum with this. Both goalies are great goalies and BOTH should be on the market. Until then we keep them and once a favourable offer comes in then you pull the trigger. It really is in our best interest to move one of the goalies since we do need help up front. But ONLY if the move benefits out team in the future. Would love to see a 1st rounder added this year and lower tier centre. Need to start stocking up on young guns again to compete with Edmonton.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#24 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

It's ridiculous this played out so long and it makes gillis look foolish ... What we could of git for luongo is now what could of been ....

Edited by Lui's Knob, 30 March 2013 - 11:31 PM.

#25 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

you show your Schneider bias in everything you post, stop talking until you can be objective.

kiss it rookie.

#26 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

It's ridiculous this played out so long and it makes gillis look foolish ... What we could of git for luongo is now what could of been ....

What could we of got for Luongo? Please add your source also or are you basing that off rumours?

Stop making things up.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

#27 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:35 PM

Smurf47 is just doing his normal ridiculous things.

Move along.

#28 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:35 PM

No - they have to keep both for the simple reason that NOBODY else wants them.

NOBODY else wants them.

If they did - one would have been gone by now.

Schneider would be gone in a millisecond. if....Gillis was actively shopping him......

#29 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

Can't blame Schneider on those, the Oilers came out firing. Luongo gave up 2 shortly after coming in too. The team was not ready at all.

Luongo needs to be moved and it should have happened before the season.

#30 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

Can't blame Schneider on those, the Oilers came out firing. Luongo gave up 2 shortly after coming in too. The team was not ready at all.

Luongo needs to be moved and it should have happened before the season.

Schneider wasn't ready. Luongo got thrown out there unexpectedly. Both goalies should be on the trading block.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.