Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ugli Fruit

Canucks have to keep both goalies

65 posts in this topic

It's clear that Schneider is the future of the team; he's younger. However, he lacks experience, and he simply does not know how to handle situations like this. He's a young goalie without that many games under his belt. This team needs a veteran like Luongo to keep thing under control.

Just look at tonight. Say what you want about Luongo not having any pressure any more, but if you're going to compare Luongo and Schneider as a starter, tonight's meltdown has redefined the term.

If this team is to succeed in the post-season, they HAVE to keep them both. Cap doesn't really factor into this anymore, as there isn't anything to spend money on anyway. Gillis showed he doesn't intend to make any moves when he pretty much let Iginla go without so much as a raised finger.

Luongo is still going to be at this level for the next 2-3 years. That's our window in terms of goaltending. Let Lu play 25-30 games and relieve Schneider during his weak games. Luongo can be our failsafe, and I'm sure he won't complain since he knows he is aging, and the team is still a contender.

I know it sounds weird to say we should keep both goalies, as Schneider has an amazing 0.00 sv% tonight, and Luongo was likewise terrible at first. But tonight doesn't define the 2 goalies' skills. All this game did was prove to us that Schneider is clearly not ready yet, though he almost is. Keep Luongo around, please. Put in some random backup and tonight's game is suddenly 7-0.

LoB

Edit: Let me make it more clear: Schneider does not know how to deal with meltdowns. His FIRST start of the season? 5 goals on a whopping 9 shots. You have games where you allow maybe 4-5 goals on 20 shots over 2 periods, but it's a whole different story when you let in more goals than you face shots. I'm not saying Schneider is weak-willed. But this is something you learn by playing more. Since our goal is to win the cup and not to simply compete, that kind of process must be bypassed, and Luongo provides that bypass. Why don't you all move past the team Schneider/team Luongo crap and think about this for a second?

Forget trading the goaltenders, lets trade Gillis for Shero.

All his talk about not afraid to make the tough decisions and bold changes are BS.

The Pens were already cup favourites before the Morrow and Iginla trades but he still felt the need to improve their team.

If that was Gillis he would have stopped after acquiring Murray...

I have always been a supporter on keeping Luongo.

Always been and will be a classy guy.

He deserves to be on this team, as he approaches his retirement in the near future.

Even though he let in 2 bad goals this evening, I feel he still got the determination in him. :)

It won't matter if the 18 skaters keep playing such a brand of hockey(past 15 months). I'd say trade'em both, turn over 50-70% of the team, next yr or two, if they don't wake up.

Long as you acquire youth, size & skill- fans can have some hope.

Cap drops 6 mill next year...can't afford to keep em both. Of course other teams know this too which is why no trade has happened yet.

I don't think we "have to", but I feel if we don't get a decent return at the deadline, that option is completely acceptable.

We will have a much better chance at gaining more assets in the offseason if the deadline doesn't work out.

It's clear that Schneider is the future of the team; he's younger. However, he lacks experience, and he simply does not know how to handle situations like this. He's a young goalie without that many games under his belt. This team needs a veteran like Luongo to keep thing under control.

Just look at tonight. Say what you want about Luongo not having any pressure any more, but if you're going to compare Luongo and Schneider as a starter, tonight's meltdown has redefined the term.

If this team is to succeed in the post-season, they HAVE to keep them both. Cap doesn't really factor into this anymore, as there isn't anything to spend money on anyway. Gillis showed he doesn't intend to make any moves when he pretty much let Iginla go without so much as a raised finger.

Luongo is still going to be at this level for the next 2-3 years. That's our window in terms of goaltending. Let Lu play 25-30 games and relieve Schneider during his weak games. Luongo can be our failsafe, and I'm sure he won't complain since he knows he is aging, and the team is still a contender.

I know it sounds weird to say we should keep both goalies, as Schneider has an amazing 0.00 sv% tonight, and Luongo was likewise terrible at first. But tonight doesn't define the 2 goalies' skills. All this game did was prove to us that Schneider is clearly not ready yet, though he almost is. Keep Luongo around, please. Put in some random backup and tonight's game is suddenly 7-0.

LoB

I think it's nuts to keep both goalies, 9 million dollars! i get it as a fan who cares but if I'm a owner I question that. If they bounce in the first round here, I can't see how MG doesn't feel the heat from above.

I think it's nuts to keep both goalies, 9 million dollars! i get it as a fan who cares but if I'm a owner I question that. If they bounce in the first round here, I can't see how MG doesn't feel the heat from above.

LoB

Edit: Let me make it more clear: Schneider does not know how to deal with meltdowns. His FIRST start of the season? 5 goals on a whopping 9 shots. You have games where you allow maybe 4-5 goals on 20 shots over 2 periods, but it's a whole different story when you let in more goals than you face shots. I'm not saying Schneider is weak-willed. But this is something you learn by playing more. Since our goal is to win the cup and not to simply compete, that kind of process must be bypassed, and Luongo provides that bypass. Why don't you all move past the team Schneider/team Luongo crap and think about this for a second?

Agreed.

This team cannot keep both goalies. Absolutely not. 4.5 million dollars or more is tied up on the bench not doing anything every game. Then we have Ballard - not even playing close to his paycheque. Or Booth, even though he's on the IR, but he's been a disappointment ever since we got him. So that's nearly 16 million dollars tied up in players not doing ANYTHING helpful.

There are so many things wrong with this team I could write an f'ing 10 page report on it.

Yeah, I don't see goaltending as our main issue right now. I'd rather have the extra money to sign a star player from one of the teams out of playoff contention at this point. Whether or not that trade is out there is apparently another story..

All his talk about not afraid to make the tough decisions and bold changes are BS.

The Pens were already cup favourites before the Morrow and Iginla trades but he still felt the need to improve their team.

dumb thread

how do you think goalies get experience? by having the confidence of the team, being the no 1 starting goalie and not battleing for ice time

No - they have to keep both for the simple reason that NOBODY else wants them.

NOBODY else wants them.

If they did - one would have been gone by now.