Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Mike Gillis attended Sharks-Coyotes game

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
147 replies to this topic

#31 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

Couture for Raymond Mallet and a 3rd-4th if Raymond resigns

steal

More likely they want a 1st or second and maybe Kconn with Raymond

Edited by Derp..., 30 March 2013 - 11:33 PM.

Cassels

#32 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

I'm sure there's lots of good players that could be had for mid round picks. Just gotta be creative and go for the players that are undervalued.

Like Higgins and Lapierre.

For sure, and I am hoping that happens.

Although knowing CDC people will probably criticize MG for getting a player like that rather than a big name.

zackass.png

#33 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

I'd like any of Clowe, Vermette, Boedker, Doan, Torres

#34 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

He's worth more to Phoenix. Still, by the season if over. Vrbata would still not understand the Canucks system. He won't know what he's doing. You'll be lucky if Vrbata even plays 20 games this season if he is acquired.

Doesn't help this team. Much better offering more for Jagr/Clowe.

You could say that about alot of players.

And considering Clowe is a rental that hasn't been good at all this year, I would rather pay more of Vrbata who has a great contract for next year rather than overpay for Clowe.

Even Jagr. I would rather pay less and get Vrbata. Although if we can get Jagr at a reasonable price I would love to do that. Although I doubt he is available at a reasonable price.

zackass.png

#35 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,745 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

You could say that about alot of players.

And considering Clowe is a rental that hasn't been good at all this year, I would rather pay more of Vrbata who has a great contract for next year rather than overpay for Clowe.

Even Jagr. I would rather pay less and get Vrbata. Although if we can get Jagr at a reasonable price I would love to do that. Although I doubt he is available at a reasonable price.

Clowes back to his self now, hes been playing injured but he's healthy again. Past few games he's been very noticeable. Even if he isn't scoring, he's being physical.

Jagr makes everyone better. Maybe he'll get Kesler passing again.

Vrbata is a potential skater that doesn't know what to do. That's what I'm saying. I rather overpay for something, rather than pay for nothing. You are overrating Vrbata. Adding Vrbata does nothing. You can disagree all you want, I'm pretty sure he won't be a Canuck any time soon.

Edited by Rey, 30 March 2013 - 11:36 PM.

#36 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

I'd like any of Clowe, Vermette, Boedker, Doan, Torres

I wish we could get Vermette, although Phoenix has as much center depth as we do so I don't see them moving him unless a center is coming back.

Boedker would be great although is he available? He is still a really young player, that would come at a price, and I don't really have interest in the others personally. Doan's contract is too much for us, Clowe will come at a price that won't be worth what he brings to the table IMO and Torres wouldn't be bad for a cheap price but apparently there were issues with him in the past here and I wouldn't pay more than a 4th for him myself.

zackass.png

#37 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

Interesting.

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#38 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

Oh the wild trade speculation.

The Canucks play the Sharks on Monday. Makes sense Gillis is there. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#39 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,203 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

Clowe's had a shoulder injury - has been producing nothing despite playing in a quality top 6 - I wouldn't take a risk on him - something seems wrong with the guy. Let the Bs overpay for him. Not much of interest on SJ aside from their 2 and 3 Cs, that also happen to be their best assets moving forward imo...

Might be a good time to trade Ballard, when the prices are insane - if that pylon Murray went for a pair of 2nds, Keith has to be worth considerably more than that - and he's been scratched recently. I don't see Alberts being a better option than Ballard, so I have to wonder if he's not being shopped.

Phoenix wish list - Gordon. Perhaps Vermette if the price is right.

#40 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,648 posts

Clowes back to his self now, hes been playing injured but he's healthy again. Past few games he's been very noticeable. Even if he isn't scoring, he's being physical.

Jagr makes everyone better. Maybe he'll get Kesler passing again.

Vrbata is a potential skater that doesn't know what to do. That's what I'm saying. I rather overpay for something, rather than pay for nothing. You are overrating Vrbata. Adding Vrbata does nothing. You can disagree all you want, I'm pretty sure he won't be a Canuck any time soon.

I will take Vrbata 10/10 over Clowe.

The guy I am apparently overrating scored 35 goals last year and had 62 points, this year he has 18 points in 21 games.

I don't think he will be coming to the Canucks either, (then again neither do I think Clowe or Jagr will be) but if he is available I would far rather jump at him than overpay for a rental. Jagr I would be fine with at the right price. But not Clowe. Atleast Vrbata has shown he can score and provide offense which is what this move is supposed to acomplish.

I'm not sure how adding a struggling player in Clowe (offense wise) is supposed to acomplish that, I dont think there is any evidence to support the theory he will just jump out of this major slump and start scoring and add that offense especially on a team already going through that. Right now it seems like Clowe would just add to the problem, Vrbata has atleast shown this year he can come in and help the situation.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 30 March 2013 - 11:41 PM.

zackass.png

#41 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,939 posts

Boyd Gordon is NOT a playoff performer.
Posted Image

#42 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,745 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

I will take Vrbata 10/10 over Clowe.

The guy I am apparently overrating scored 35 goals last year and had 62 points, this year he has 18 points in 21 games.

I don't think he will be coming to the Canucks either, (then again neither do I think Clowe or Jagr will be) but if he is available I would far rather jump at him than overpay for a rental. Jagr I would be fine with at the right price. But not Clowe. Atleast Vrbata has shown he can score and provide offense which is what this move is supposed to acomplish.

I'm not sure how adding a struggling player in Clowe (offense wise) is supposed to acomplish that, I dont think there is any evidence to support the theory he will just jump out of this major slump and start scoring and add that offense especially on a team already going through that. Right now it seems like Clowe would just add to the problem, Vrbata has atleast shown this year he can come in and help the situation.

Clowe had been injured throughout the season. He's been playing back to his self for the last couple games. It's not hard to see this, if you actually watch games. He was a Ben Eager clone, but he's significant better as of now.

Edited by Rey, 30 March 2013 - 11:43 PM.

#43 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 26,052 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

Ballard, Sauve, and a 2nd

For

Torres, Gordon, and Morris

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#44 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

Clowe had been injured throughout the season. He's been playing back to his self for the last couple games. It's not hard to see this, if you actually watch games. He was a Ben Eager clone, but he's significant better as of now.

We will see, although we want offense, not physicality. I would like to see him put one in the back of the net first before we think about overpaying for him like we will have to if we want him.

zackass.png

#45 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,745 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:49 PM

Boyd Gordon is NOT a playoff performer.

None of the players who are potentially being looked at are "playoff performers".

#46 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,276 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

Couture for Raymond Mallet and a 3rd-4th if Raymond resigns

steal

More likely they want a 1st or second and maybe Kconn with Raymond

Lol

#47 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,745 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:51 PM

We will see, although we want offense, not physicality. I would like to see him put one in the back of the net first before we think about overpaying for him like we will have to if we want him.

If he's playing like himself, there's no way any team except maybe the Bruins that would "overpay". Clowe's value is low right, it's a perfect buy low for any team. If he was playing the way he usually does, then we'd be "overpaying" him.

#48 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,811 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

None of the players who are potentially being looked at are "playoff performers".

Clowe
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#49 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

I wish we could get Vermette, although Phoenix has as much center depth as we do so I don't see them moving him unless a center is coming back.

Boedker would be great although is he available? He is still a really young player, that would come at a price, and I don't really have interest in the others personally. Doan's contract is too much for us, Clowe will come at a price that won't be worth what he brings to the table IMO and Torres wouldn't be bad for a cheap price but apparently there were issues with him in the past here and I wouldn't pay more than a 4th for him myself.

Highly, highly doubt we get Boedker. He is producing and young, probably not moveable in the eyes of Phoenix.

Vermette would be nice. 30 years old, produces, and a centre. Would be a sick third line centre, for sure. He also has a cap hit of 3.75, which isn't that much for a good centre that produces, imo.

Edited by Hyzer, 30 March 2013 - 11:59 PM.

#50 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

Actually, there are a whole lot of players in this league who have a personality. Even more importantly, there are players and coaches who actually give a crap enough about losing to say so......not on the Canucks though.

We have been winning a lot the past few years. Grown men don't need to bitch and moan to the media. It's called keeping it the room and dealing with it.

Do you want a coach like Torterella who talks crap about his team after every loss? It sure looks like it set a fire under his teams ass LOOOOL!

#51 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

MG probably only went to the game just to make people think he's scouting for possible trades, since it's not like he'll be making any.

Wants to show he made an effort. ;)

Edited by BUREV, 31 March 2013 - 12:08 AM.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

small.png CDC Puck - New York Rangers

#52 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

Highly, highly doubt we get Boedker. He is producing and young, probably not moveable in the eyes of Phoenix.

Vermette would be nice. 30 years old, produces, and a centre. Would be a sick third line centre, for sure. He also has a cap hit of 3.75, which isn't that much for a good centre that produces, imo.

Yeah I can't see Boedker as a possibility either.

And unless Phoenix becomes sellers I don't see how Vermette would be available either myself. Though I do agree he would be a perfect fit here.

zackass.png

#53 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • 25,065 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:27 AM

Imagine if we landed both clowe and Torres. Major improvements to 2nd and 3rd lines

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#54 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

We have been winning a lot the past few years. Grown men don't need to bitch and moan to the media. It's called keeping it the room and dealing with it.

Do you want a coach like Torterella who talks crap about his team after every loss? It sure looks like it set a fire under his teams ass LOOOOL!

Winning.....despite playing poorly way more often than they should you mean

Grown men should be able to use losing this ugly as motivation. I have not seen the post game interviews with AV and the players. Let me guess.....

1. "We obviously did not get off the the start we wanted but I thought we played real well after the first 10 minutes."
2. "We just have to play our game."
3. "If we play the way we can we have a good chance of winning."
4. "You have to give the other team credit, they played real well and their goalie played real well. If we play real well, we could maybe play real well enough to play real well."

Blah, blah, blah......same old denial I am sure.

No, I want guys who actually care enough about losing that they don't pretend like things are fine like they are lobotomized AV robots or something. Passion is an important element that this team lacks from the coach all the way down. And the teams they lose to in the playoffs every year win cups not only because they get lots of PP's. They win because they play with passion and HATE losing.

This team could use a coach who can shake the apathy and complacency for sure.

In terms of who Gillis is or is not scouting, hopefully it is someone significant.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 31 March 2013 - 12:37 AM.

#55 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

If he's playing like himself, there's no way any team except maybe the Bruins that would "overpay". Clowe's value is low right, it's a perfect buy low for any team. If he was playing the way he usually does, then we'd be "overpaying" him.

Well thats the thing, I agree. If he has a low price tag than why not.

But with the shortage of sellers there will be alot of interest in Clowe probably. Since there aren't alot of guys out there, and seeing what B.Morrow just brought in, the Sharks will set there price pretty high, so I don't think that something we should match, if it is a scenerio when he comes cheap, then by all means do it. But judging by the market place I don't see that as the reality.

zackass.png

#56 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:48 AM

Imagine if we landed both clowe and Torres. Major improvements to 2nd and 3rd lines

I don't see Clowe as an improvement on anyone in our top 6 at this point. Or our healthy top 9 for that matter.

Same goes for Torres. He would be a 4th liner here when healthy.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 31 March 2013 - 12:48 AM.

zackass.png

#57 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:48 AM

Grown men should be able to use losing this ugly as motivation. I have not seen the post game interviews with AV and the players. Let me guess.....

1. "We obviously did not get off the the start we wanted but I thought we played real well after the first 10 minutes."
4. "You have to give the other team credit, they played real well and their goalie played real well. If we play real well, we could maybe play real well enough to play real well."

No, I want guys who actually care enough about losing that they don't pretend like things are fine like they are lobotomized AV robots or something. Passion is an important element that this team lacks from the coach all the way down. And the teams they lose to in the playoffs every year win cups not only because they get lots of PP's. They win because they play with passion and HATE losing.

In terms of who Gillis is or is not scouting, hopefully it is someone significant.

The thing that you're not understanding is that they DO CARE, but they keep it behind closed doors.

They talk like "Robots" to the media not because of AV, but because of the MEDIA.

Vancouver media twist anything they can get into a huge dramatic blowup.

That's why you hear about the team having player only meetings or team meetings.

I honestly don't know how much clearer I can make it. Some people just see what they want to see.

#58 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

Yeah I can't see Boedker as a possibility either.

And unless Phoenix becomes sellers I don't see how Vermette would be available either myself. Though I do agree he would be a perfect fit here.

Phx might not be seller but they have money trouble and not exactly a rich team............got to dump some contract

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#59 Mrock-763

Mrock-763

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:50 AM

Gordon, Torres, Morris, Clowe, Chipcura all come to mind.

GET THEM ALL!!!

Edited by Mrock-763, 31 March 2013 - 02:14 AM.

Posted Image
Props to Olias for providing me with this sick sig!

#60 OurTimeToShine

OurTimeToShine

Otis

• Members
  • 12,051 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:53 AM

To be honest, I think you need to realize that there are A LOT of good teams in this league, to expect this team to dominate every night is foolish, we're still 4th in the conference even though we've played average most nights.

I think it's clear this team needs a significant addition though, if there isn't one we won't make it past round 2.

hv18bt.jpg

2014 & 2015 CDCGML Champions

2015 CDCEHL Regular Season and Playoff Champion

Thanks -Vintage Canuck-!!!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.