19 replies to this topic

#1 vcrguy

vcrguy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

If I were MG (and I know I'll take lots of heat for this), I'd try to improve the team and make some realistic trades. Ones that would actually have someone on the other end of the phone say "yes".

1. I'd trade Luo before the trade deadline. People talk about a trade in the summer, but the deadline is where you get the biggest bang for your buck and the Canucks really need a boost. I know I can't guarantee TO would be a willing trade partner, but I'd take Bozak, a 2nd rounder and Scrivens, for Luo or equivalent value from another team.

2. I'd trade Ballard for a second round pick in next year's draft. He doesn't fit in here and his cap hit is high.

3. I'd try to trade Booth in the off season and if nobody would bite, I'd buy him out. He's overpaid and poor value for the money. I can't say much more than that.

4. I'd try to pry Torres out of Phoenix for a draft pick (3rd rounder or maybe Ballard?) as we need that grit and toughness.

5. I'd try to pick up some extra offense in a rental like Hejduk or someone similar for a 3rd and 4th round pick.

All said, we'd add Bozak, Torres and Hejduk for a playoff run and we'd shed salary close to 10M towards next year's cap.

thoughts?

#2 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

Chris Higgin's brother on HFboard said that he is close to re-signing with the Canucks. You know what means? Raymond is probably on the block. Boyd Gordon is priority, to replace Malholtra. Needs include a speedy defense man and a scoring threat on the 2nd line. Find a way to get Jagr by trading Raymond and a conditional if Raymond doesn't re-sign. Dmitriv Orlov was scratched for no reason today, could be an option but I'd prefer someone more experienced.

No reason for Toronto to trade Bozak. Torres would be nice, but can't possibly be priority, and Good luck getting Colorado to give us Hejduk.

Sedin Sedin Burrow
Jagr* Kesler Higgins
Hansen Gordon Booth
Schroeder Lappiere Kassian

Edler Streit?*
Garrison Hamhuis
Bieksa Tanev

Risk picking up Kaberle and putting him with Garrison/Hamhuis/Tanev? Team desperately needs someone that can move the puck up and a powerplay quarterback.

Edited by Rey, 30 March 2013 - 10:57 PM.

#3 canucks top scorer

canucks top scorer

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

Keep Raymond!

Posted Image

Credit to me for the sig. I make sigs msg me.

#4 N4ZZY

N4ZZY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:20 PM

If I were MG (and I know I'll take lots of heat for this), I'd try to improve the team and make some realistic trades. Ones that would actually have someone on the other end of the phone say "yes".

1. I'd trade Luo before the trade deadline. People talk about a trade in the summer, but the deadline is where you get the biggest bang for your buck and the Canucks really need a boost. I know I can't guarantee TO would be a willing trade partner, but I'd take Bozak, a 2nd rounder and Scrivens, for Luo or equivalent value from another team.

2. I'd trade Ballard for a second round pick in next year's draft. He doesn't fit in here and his cap hit is high.

3. I'd try to trade Booth in the off season and if nobody would bite, I'd buy him out. He's overpaid and poor value for the money. I can't say much more than that.

4. I'd try to pry Torres out of Phoenix for a draft pick (3rd rounder or maybe Ballard?) as we need that grit and toughness.

5. I'd try to pick up some extra offense in a rental like Hejduk or someone similar for a 3rd and 4th round pick.

All said, we'd add Bozak, Torres and Hejduk for a playoff run and we'd shed salary close to 10M towards next year's cap.

thoughts?

First of all.

1. Possible. If we can get a fair return for Lu. Yeah, for sure. trade him.

2. Ballard isn't going for a 2nd round pick. Maybe a 3rd, but a 4th is more likely. We're not going to get much for Ballard, unfortunately.

3. Booth. Just buy him out.

4. Torres is a useful player. He does add grit, and toughness. But that's not what we need right now. We need depth in the centre position.

5. Trade extra offense from a Luongo trade.

#19 up to the rafters of GM Place!!

#5 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

thoughts?

1. If we can get anything decent for Luongo, like Bozak OR a 2nd or something, I would take it.
2. No one wants Ballard. Conditional 6th or something at best.
3. Nobody is going to give us fair value for Booth. Yes he's overpaid, but he's still a solid NHL player. He's gotten a rough ride, but he is a very good possession player. His Corsi is highest on the team next to the twins. He's just had hard luck injuries and had been snakebitten this year. I would keep him.
4. I'd take Torres back in a heartbeat.
5. Depends whats out there. Its a seller's market and we have no prospect depth so I'm opposed to overpaying for some marginally effective UFA.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#6 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,167 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:49 PM

http://forum.canucks...armchair-gming/

#7 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

1. If we can get anything decent for Luongo, like Bozak OR a 2nd or something, I would take it.
2. No one wants Ballard. Conditional 6th or something at best.
3. Nobody is going to give us fair value for Booth. Yes he's overpaid, but he's still a solid NHL player. He's gotten a rough ride, but he is a very good possession player. His Corsi is highest on the team next to the twins. He's just had hard luck injuries and had been snakebitten this year. I would keep him.
4. I'd take Torres back in a heartbeat.
5. Depends whats out there. Its a seller's market and we have no prospect depth so I'm opposed to overpaying for some marginally effective UFA.

1. Would be a terrible idea to trade an all star for that little return.
2. Leopold went for a 2nd, Murray went for 2 2nds. Ballard can fetch more than a conditional 6th.
Posted ImagePosted Image
---------------------------------------------------

#8 canuktravella

canuktravella

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:55 AM

i barfed when u said lets pick up kaberle no thanks hes a bum

#9 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

1. Would be a terrible idea to trade an all star for that little return.
2. Leopold went for a 2nd, Murray went for 2 2nds. Ballard can fetch more than a conditional 6th.

Leopold and Murray don't have awful contracts. And somehow even Murray has more points than Ballard.

We're going to have to ditch Luongo somehow. We WILL need the capspace next season. I used to be of your opinion that Gillis shouldn't deal Luongo for scraps, and that I'd rather he wait for the right deal. However the time has come and gone. He waited too long, the goalie market is flooded and no one wants to pay a premium for a goaltender. At this point we need to move him one way or another. If there was a half-decent offer somewhere out there, he should have taken it.

We're not going to get that vaunted, young impact player.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#10 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:25 AM

It's not that Ballard doesn't fit here, it's just that he's been in AV's doghouse for far too long and he should normally be playing in the top 6 on a night to night basis. Not scratched consistently. I guarantee you, if Ballard is playing elsewhere, he'd be playing every night and he'd do a pretty damn good job at it. Probably one of the smoothest skating skaters I've seen in a long time aside from Scott Niedermayer. If you compare it to others like Edler or Bieksa, Ballard's skating is effortless and he just glides from end to end without having to put any effort at all.

#11 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:01 AM

Chris Higgin's brother on HFboard said that he is close to re-signing with the Canucks. You know what means?

Source? Can't find anything about this.

Edit: NVM found him saying so, legit too, pretty cool, wonder if Lappy will re-sign as well.

Edited by knoxdown, 31 March 2013 - 05:46 AM.

"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#12 Bring_Back_Bertuzzi

Bring_Back_Bertuzzi

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:35 AM

if MG doesn't get a good center or torres this trade deadline will be a bust

luo_sig_with_words.jpg

#13 Canucks fan in chicago

Canucks fan in chicago

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

Ballard would fetch us a least a second rounder

#14 Raffi Torres's Smirk

Raffi Torres's Smirk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

...Ballard's skating is effortless and he just glides from end to end without having to put any effort at all.

I agree, but reading that made me laugh.

If MG can get Torres and Gordon I would put that on par to getting Lapierre and Higgins a couple years ago. If he can move Raymond+ for Jagr this would be a great trade deadline.

#15 Tyler83

Tyler83

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Chris Higgin's brother on HFboard said that he is close to re-signing with the Canucks. You know what means? Raymond is probably on the block. Boyd Gordon is priority, to replace Malholtra. Needs include a speedy defense man and a scoring threat on the 2nd line. Find a way to get Jagr by trading Raymond and a conditional if Raymond doesn't re-sign. Dmitriv Orlov was scratched for no reason today, could be an option but I'd prefer someone more experienced.

No reason for Toronto to trade Bozak. Torres would be nice, but can't possibly be priority, and Good luck getting Colorado to give us Hejduk.

Sedin Sedin Burrow
Jagr* Kesler Higgins
Hansen Gordon Booth

Edler Streit?*
Garrison Hamhuis
Bieksa Tanev

Risk picking up Kaberle and putting him with Garrison/Hamhuis/Tanev? Team desperately needs someone that can move the puck up and a powerplay quarterback.

Where is the link where his brother said that?

#16 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

Where is the link where his brother said that?

http://hfboards.hock...d.php?t=1389645

User Flames1084 is confirmed Kevin Higgins. Says "Chris will re'sign with the team, maybe sooner than you think".
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#17 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

My thought:

Shouldn't this be in the armchair GMing section?
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#18 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

People who have been conditioned to think that Luongo's Value is so low taht we'd be lucky to get ANYTHING for him is ridiculous.

He's going to finish his career top 10 in many categories, has a proven track record, and a proven work ethic that should bode well for his future play as he ages. He is signed at a significantly lower than market value cap hit, in exchange for the 3 extra years on the end of the contract, where he'll most likely retire anyways.

So the length of contract is easily offset by the lower cap hit, and the fact that you have a proven elite goalie locked up for what should be many more productive years.

Then you add the fact that there are essentially ZERO goalies of his caliber that any team would be sane enough to move, and you get to the point that he is not only the best player available at his position currently, but also the best player available at his position for the forseeable future.

Considering Goaltending can be the most important position in hockey, since he plays 60 minutes for 65+ games every season, he is worth AT LEAST a top forward + a prospect + a pick.

Obviously we wont get that, but with the cap going down, his contract makes EVEN MORE sense.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#19 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

Sedin Sedin Burrow
Jagr* Kesler Higgins
Hansen Gordon Booth

Edler Streit?*
Garrison Hamhuis
Bieksa Tanev

And your think on moving Raymond but keeping a guy like Booth is?
Kevin.jpg

#20 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

Am I the only one that would feel a lot more optimistic about our chances if we brought back Raffi? He brought so much energy and was just a wrecking ball out there. Bozak, Torres and maybe Jagr/Roy would put us into serious cup contention. Bozak would probably cost Luongo, while Torres and Roy/Jagr would probably only cost mid-prospects/picks.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.