The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Retool for next year

Well, we either have to choose mobility and offensive skills or grit, size and toughness. Looks like Gillis is trying to change the identity of this team to the latter instead of the former. If we wanted offensive skills and mobility, we would've re-signed Ehrhoff, traded Hodgson for a more offensive prospect and kept Salo, Samuelsson and Grabner.

Buying out Luongo is NOT AN OPTION since it has to be approved by Aquilini and I doubt he will allow MG to buyout Luongo, That would mean MG made a $60 million mistake and would probably be fired for that.

You are telling me that with the expiring contracts of Raymond, Malhotra, Higgins, Lappierre along with $14 million combined contracts of Luongo, Ballard and Booth, that we would still need to get rid of another big contract? If that is the case, we might as well trade the whole damn roster since it seems the cap will be at zero next year.

As for the Grabovski thing I am a fan somewhat.

I think it could work in 2 scenerios.

1) The Leafs eat a portion of the salary, say 1.5 Million so it is Grabovski at 4 Million for Luongo. Which I would accept. Lu > Grabo valuewise since the bad contract cancel out, then to make up for that value the Leafs eat a bit of the salary and throw in Scrivens (since he would just be waived anyways) that would be the dream scenario for me.

2) We plan to buyout/trade both Ballard and Booth, which personally I am not a fan of letting Booth go, but if we have to in the best interest of the team then I would do it. Although that would require more coming our way, Grabovski+. Which isn't as good.

Luongo's $5 million dollar roster space will be replace by Lack who would make less than $1 million.

Ballard's $4.2 million dollar buyout would be replaced by a player who would be making less than half of that.

Booth's $4.5 million dollar contract would be replaced by one of our existing forwards who has shown great improvement in Hansen. (So zero dollars would replace that)

Don't forget that we still have players like Kassian, Tanev and Schroeder who are making peanuts.

I really don't understand why we would have to trade Kesler or Sedins in order to be cap compliant.

some quick math..We currently have 60.4 million tied up on 14 guys for next year. Get rid of Luongo, Booth, Ballard and you have 46.5 million with 11 guys signed.

Need a backup goalie, say 1.5. Re-sign Tanev maybe 1.8? Carry 2 more depth d-man around 900k. each. Leaves us with 13.5 million in space with 15 players signed. Schroder a RFA, Higgins UFA, Raymond UFA, Lappierre UFA, Weise, RFA, Sestito/Pinizzoto RFA/UFA.

It looks pretty damn grim, were in tough just to bring back who we have, nevermind actually improving the team.

Our Backup goalie would be Lack and it doesn't take a lot to Re-sign those UFAs or RFAs. We probably won't even sign have of those contracts and don't forget that Malhotra's $2.5 million contract still counts for this year.

Schroeder and Tanev would not need a big raise to be re-signed. Heck, Raymond and Schroeder might get traded down the road for someone that can replace Malhotra. You also have to remember that our whole second line has not played much of this season and it is probably a big reason why Gillis has signed so many depth players this year.

I don't expect Lack to be the starter after missing an entire season of development...maybe mid-season he gets the call but i would be surprised if he was here to start. Also Raymond your probably looking at $3 million. Higgins maybe a cut at $1.5. Schroder would get the min 10% raise i assume.

The point is we have to improve this team, sure we can bring everyone back and minus an opening spot where Booth was but then your looking at a really low salary there and Schroder as our 3rd line center i guess. A very weak team and no improvement whatsoever.. Yes im just thrilled.

There is a bit of optimism though. Raymond will/should probably walk. Booth, Luongo, and Ballard all need to go. Re-sign what the team needs. Potentially, hope for Jensen or a Connauton to jump in. Will be able to afford one of the 3 needs - puck mover, 3rd liner, 2nd line scorer. Then wait for deadline to make any more necessarily adjustments. Hope for Kassian to be more consistent.

Most is already set.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

XXXX Kesler Higgins

Hansen XXXX Kassian

XXX XXXX XXX

Garrison Edler

Hamhuis Bieksa

Tanev XXXX

Schneider

XXXX

Archived