The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks not a Stanley Cup Team

Canouver

If this team could be inspired to actually care about the game they play, then they might have a shot at a Cinderella cup run...

There are a whole lot of "if"s that would have to come to fruition for this to be the case. While this is true for any given cup run, the Canucks are certainly facing a lot more "if"s than the other play-off bound teams are.

They need to start hitting a run in their next few games, if they hit a run they will gain confidence and be a much better chance.

If they continue to play the same carefree hockey they will get eliminated first round assuming they make it to playoffs, plain and simple.

I have believed this team will win the Stanley cup every year for 19 years.

Sure we Aren't as good as we have been in the past but I don't think we are too far off

Almost every team in the league is inconsistent, it's a weird year.

I have been saying all season that this is not a serious CUP contending roster since January. I am a fan but people have to be realistic.

1st line: is having a subpar year and have the added problem of no backup scoring of any significance.

2nd line: there is no second line. Expecting Kesler back with an impact is a possibility but who does he play with?

3rd line: A bright spot at times. CUP contending d-cores will hit these guys hard. Schroeder has potential but has no experience.

4th line: Inconsistant. Were playing well 2 weeks ago but have fallen off badly.

D-Core: has been weak all year. Not dominated a game in memory. Have been beaten physically along the boards regularly. This group gets credit for low scoring games when their opponents are stopped by goaltending or simply miss the net.

Goaltending: CUP contending capable. Schneider has been winning games for them and Lou was earlier in the season. It is the only aspect of this team that I have confidence in.

As a fan I can see this club has not been the same since early last spring. They are a puck control team which is weak in the FO circle since Manny and Kesler have been out. Their FO % is way below 50%.

Fighting for puck possession a lot can breed uncertainty and eventually led to confidence issues. Van has built this team around the Twins and when their puck possession is not working the team does not seem to have a fall back position. The teams physical game is inconsistant to be polite.

Putting the onus on Gillis to make a deal that saves the season and makes this roster a serious CUP contender is dream'in. At a minimum they need a 2C, possibly a 3C, a 2RW, and a 2RD. This might be overstating the situation as a more confident group could perform better.

Van keeps say'in how they pattern themselves after Detroit's possession game. For me it has always been a half effort. When Yzerman was winning his CUPS the WIngs were one of the most physical and tight checking squads there was. Van has never shown me the ability to play a shutdown, physical game. They show me an overreliance on goaltending and a times a high risk breakout game that often backfires, especially in CUP play. Last year LA sent two deep forecheckers who played the Van d-men physically and often succeeded. Van coaching does not seem to have developed an answer to that. CUP d-cores are not regular season efforts. Van is relatively successful in regular season play when nothing is really on the line. When everything is on the line their game can struggle.

So this team, with every player being snake-bitten for the most part, which plays at most 40 minutes per game, and relies on the goalie to not allow more than 2 goals (preferably 1 or less), is NOT a cup contender?

Shocking.

I'm surprised some of you don't share your fountains of knowledge with the team or even the entire league! You seem to know who is going to win before they even play so why not just pass on the info and save everybody the time of watching the drive for the playoffs and the entire playoffs themselves. Heck, you all predicted the Kings to finish 8th and win it all.. Just think of all the travelling costs you could be saving teams! We just won six games in a row, we are making the playoffs... don't matter what place we finish because ALL 7 other west teams in the playoffs give us some sort of trouble. Going down the list, I cant pick one team I wanna meet in the first round over another.. just bring 'em on!

Archived