Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

topbananas

Dmitri Uchaykin Dies After Dangerous Hit In Kazakhstan

19 posts in this topic

Leaves behind a pregnant wife and a young child............so so sad. RIP Dmitri

http://thehockeyhous...-in-kazakhstan/

The hockey news was struck with tragedy today as Kazakhstan hockey player died Dmitri Uchaykin after a hit to the head last night.

Uchaykin, a forward with Ertis Pavlodar in the Kazakh League, was hospitalised yesterday after the received a violent hit to the head by Lithuanian forward Donatas Kumeliuskas from Arystan Temirtau. Uchaykin remained unconscious on the ice and was immediately taken to hospital where he would arrive in a coma. He died at 4am this morning due to a cerebral hemorrhage, which, according to wikipedia, “is a subtype of intracranial hemorrhage that occurs within the brain tissue itself. Intracerebral hemorrhage can be caused by brain trauma, or it can occur spontaneously in hemorrhagic stroke”.

Uchaykin leaves behind a pregnant wife and a young daughter.

He spent a big majority of his professional career with Amur Khabarovsk in multiple levels of Russian hockey, including the KHL, before getting traded to Gazovik Tyumen (Russia2) mid season in 2008-2009. He would later play two seasons with Yermak Angarsk (VHL/Russia2) before finishing off the last two seasons of his career with Ertis Pavlodar in Kazakhstan.

He was 33. He will be missed.

Oh man...I guess it's inevitable given the size and speed of players nowadays.

RIP :(

That's so sad. RIP

Also feel for the guy who hit him. He will have to live the rest of his life with constant guilt.

This is awful....agree about the guy doling out the hit...going to be a tough one for him.

Heartfelt sympathy to the family in a tragic turn of events.

Oh man...I guess it's inevitable given the size and speed of players nowadays.

RIP :(

This is sad and brings back memories of Marc Crawford hitting that young kid from Boston. Everyone thought Crawford's hit was what almost killed him but it was later determined that the kid suffered an aneurysm not related to the big hit. Normand Leveille was the his name and he had all-star potential. He survived but his career was over and his life changed for ever.

Wow, I wonder if this will the NHL more stringent?

What a terrible situation for everyone involved..

R.I.P.

one guy paralyzed ..now one guy dead...pretty sad days for the hockey world lately

R.I.P. :(

And some people still question why gillis keeps manny off the ice.......

Rip dmitri

RIP.

This appears a case of Dmitri Uchaykin not receiving the appropriate medical attention from the team after the hit.

Uchaykin was struck by Donatas Kumeliuskas during the contest, but was able to leave the ice on his own strength, according to the Sovetsky Sport via the Associated Press.

He drove home, but fell unconscious the following day. After being rushed to the hospital, he died of a stroke on Sunday.

That is absolutely horrible! I hope it gets all major hockey organizations to really crack down on head hits. And it's exactly why the NHL needs to start punishing the action and not the outcome since players only have forgone knowledge and control of the former. Until they do players will continue to put at unnecessary risk and we could very well see another tragedy like this one in the NHL.

Condolences to his family.

believe the hits at 22 secs... bottom right corner...