The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Times of India Film Awards April 4-6

Gross-Misconduct

The Times of India Film Awards show is being held in Vancouver April 4-6. This is the first ever TOIFA awards show.

I don't know much about Bollywood myself but I'm sure some of you do. But now that it is just around the corner I'm starting to get a little excited like I'm sure some of you are as well.

So, who do you guys think will bring home the hardware? I haven't seen any of the films up for the awards and I'm unfamiliar with the actors so I unfortunately would probably guess wrong.

Here are the nominees...

Best Director

Anurag Basu – Barfi!

Anurag Kashyap- Gangs of Wasseypur

Gauri Shinde – English Vinglish

Shoojit Sircar – Vicky Donor

Sujoy Ghosh – Kahaani

Best Film

Barfi!

Gangs of Wasseypur

Kahaani

Paan Singh Tomar

Vicky Donor

Best Actor — Male

Hrithik Roshan – Agneepath

Irrfan Khan – Paan Singh Tomar

Manoj Bajpayee – Gangs of Wasseypur I

Ranbir Kapoor – Barfi!

Shahrukh Khan- Jab Tak Hai Jaan

Best Actor — Female

Deepika Padukone – Cocktail

Priyanka ChopraBarfi!

Sridevi – English Vinglish

Vidya Balan – Kahaani

Music Director

Ajay Atul – Agneepath

Pritam – Cocktail

Pritam – Barfi!

Vishal – Shekhar – Student of the Year

Debut Male

Ayushmann Khurrana – Vicky Donor

Arjun Kapoor – Ishaqzaade

Varun Dhawan – Student of the Year

Sidharth Malhotra – Student of the Year

Debut Female

Alia Bhatt – Student of the Year

Huma Qureshi – Gangs of Wasseypur

Ileana D’cruz – Barfi!

Yami Gautam – Vicky Donor

Best Actor Male — Supporting

Annu Kapoor – Vicky Donor

Boman Irani – Ferrari Ki Sawaari

Krushna Abhishek – Bol Bachchan

Nawazuddin Siddiqui – Talaash

Best Actor Female — Supporting

Anushka Sharma – Jab Tak Hain Jaan

Dolly Ahluwalia – Vicky Donor

Ileana D’cruz – Barfi!

Rani Mukerji – Talaash

Best Actor — Negative Role

Bipasha Basu – Raaz 3

Rishi Kapoor – Agneepath

Sanjay Dutt – Agneepath

Tigmanshu Dhulia – Gangs of Wasseypur

Best Actor — Comic Role

Abhishek Bachchan – Bol Bachchan

Ajay Devgn – Bol Bachchan

Akshay Kumar – Housefull 2

Best Playback – Female

Kavita Seth – Tumhi ho bandhu (Cocktail)

Shalmali Kholgade – Pareshaan (Ishaqzaade)

Shreya Ghoshal – Itni si hasi (Barfi!)

Suman Sridhar – Muskaane jhooti hai (Talaash)

Best Playback – Male

Ayushmann Khurrana – Paani da rang (Vicky Donor)

Mohit Chauhan – Barfi (Barfi!)

Nikhil Paul George – Aashiyaan (Barfi!)

Sonu Nigam – Abhi mujhme kahi ( Agneepath)

Best Lyrics (Nominations)

Amitabh Bhattacharya – Abhi Mujhme Kahin (Agneepath)

Gulzar – Saans (Jab Tak Hai Jaan)

Javed Akhtar – Jee Le Zara (Talaash)

Swanand Kirkire – Aashiyan (Barfi)

Best Director: Anurag Basu

Best Film: Barfi!

Best Actor: SRK

Best Actress: Priyanka Chopra

Music Director: Vishal-Shekar

Debut Male: Sidharth Malhotra

Debut Female: Alia Bhatt

Best supporting Actor:Boman Irani

Best Supporting Actress: Anushka Sharma

Best Negative Actor:Sanjay Dutt

Best Comical Actor: Ajay Devgn

Best Female Playback: Shreya Goshal

Best Male Playback: Sonu Nigam

Best Lyrics: Amitabh Bhattacharya

Barfi...

Best Director

Anurag Basu – Barfi!

Best Film

Barfi!

Best Actor — Male

Shahrukh Khan- Jab Tak Hai Jaan

Best Actor — Female

Priyanka ChopraBarfi!

Music Director

Pritam – Barfi!

Debut Male

Sidharth Malhotra – Student of the Year

Debut Female

Alia Bhatt – Student of the Year

Anushka Sharma – Jab Tak Hain Jaan

Best Actor — Negative Role

Sanjay Dutt – Agneepath

Best Actor — Comic Role

Abhishek Bachchan – Bol Bachchan

Best Playback – Female

Shreya Ghoshal – Itni si hasi (Barfi!)

Best Playback – Male

Mohit Chauhan – Barfi (Barfi!)

Gulzar – Saans (Jab Tak Hai Jaan)

With the Awards show just days away, I hope negative press doesn't put a damper on the event.

Star-struck’ security and limo drivers? Businesses complain TOIFA staff are making racist demands

LARISSA CAHUTE

VANCOUVER DESI

toifadesi.jpg

Several B.C. businesses are claiming that the organizers of the upcoming Times of India Film Awards have been making racist demands when it comes to the hiring of security guards and limousine drivers for their Bollywood celebrities.

The businesses allege that they have been told by staff working for the organizers that they do not want drivers or guards of South Asian origin as they fear they would become “star-struck” and cause problems.

The province is spending about $11.5 million on the star-studded event next month which is touted to boost B.C. trade and tourism in India.

Critics have panned the use of tax dollars for the event as an attempt by the Liberals to win votes in the South Asian community.

“In several meetings in December they said they don’t want any ‘brown people.’” one Vancouver company official told Vancouver Desi.

“They asked us if we have any Indian (employees) on our team … . We said yes, you have to have it because it’s a multicultural country — we have to have all the races.”

Another businesswoman said she experienced similar remarks at a March 7 transportation meeting at the Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites in Vancouver.

According to the woman, Times of India Film Award (TOIFA) staff said at the meeting that they did not want South Asians working as drivers for the Bollywood stars.

“I was really taken aback,” she said, adding she no longer wants anything to do with the company. “That was very racist.”

A third businessman said he too was told by TOIFA staff about wanting only “white drivers and security guards.”

“At one meeting we pointed out to them that is not possible for several reasons … first off, most of the companies that could bid for the contracts have South Asian guards and drivers, and more importantly this goes against everything this country stands for,” he said.

“What makes me really mad is that our government gives these guys millions of tax dollars and they come here and make a mockery of what we believe in.”

According to TOIFA spokeswoman Laura Ballance, the allegations of racism stem from “an unfortunate choice of words” by a “staff person who is not one of the overall organizers.”

“He was trying to impart … that they did not want people that are star-struck,” she said.

“The group they’re bringing in had an incident a while back — not here in Canada — where they hired a driver who drove the celebrity to [the driver’s] home and asked them to do photos with their family before they took them to the venue.”

“So they are very cognizant of that.”

According to Ballance, the message the staffer was trying to get across was they’re looking for “the highest level of professionalism.”

“They were very clear with all these companies that they were talking to — and they talked to a large number of them — that they want the very best, most professional,” she said.

Ballance insisted the offensive words were uttered by just one employee and that it’s “not the sentiments of the company.”

She said the TOIFA events have hired and will continue to hire people from all ethnic backgrounds.

Another TOIFA insider said some local limousine drivers had been tweeting that they can get access to Bollywood models and stars associated with the event.

“Unfortunately, they were South Asian drivers and I guess the organizers were taking precautions …maybe they did it the wrong way,” he told Vancouver Desi.

But the businesses that complained to Vancouver Desi said they don’t buy the explanations.

“These people are doing business in Canada. They should follow the guidelines — Canadian guidelines.”

The screening process security and limo companies routinely undergo should be enough, the woman who was at the March 7 meeting said.

“There’s a protocol for protection — you screen those people,” she said.

According to the woman, the March 7 meeting was attended by four of the “top people” within TOIFA.

“They agreed — they all sat there and agreed,” she said. “How come their superior did not say to (him), ‘You shouldn’t have said that — correct your comments right now’?”

She hopes Premier Christy Clark will take action.

“(Clark) should know that she used my tax money — and she’s hiring these people from the Times of India saying, ‘Sorry, no, we’re racist — no Indians please,’” she said. “That means, ‘Let’s have the Bollywood awards night and let’s not have any East Indians.’”

“I could take it as an innocent remark, but these people work on international business — they’ve been around.

http://www.vancouver...demands/521276/

I haven't seen all the movies mentioned here, but from what I have seen...

Best Director

Anurag Basu – Barfi!

Best Film

Barfi!

Best Actor — Male

Hrithik Roshan – Agneepath

or

Ranbir Kapoor – Barfi!

Best Actor — Female

Priyanka ChopraBarfi!

or

Vidya Balan – Kahaani

Music Director

Ajay Atul – Agneepath

Debut Male

Arjun Kapoor – Ishaqzaade

Debut Female

Ileana D’cruz – Barfi!

Nawazuddin Siddiqui – Talaash

Ileana D’cruz – Barfi!

Best Actor — Comic Role

Ajay Devgn – Bol Bachchan

Best Playback – Female

Shalmali Kholgade – Pareshaan (Ishaqzaade)

Best Playback – Male

Sonu Nigam – Abhi mujhme kahi ( Agneepath)

Amitabh Bhattacharya – Abhi Mujhme Kahin (Agneepath)

Hindi Film Industry has two bign awards - Filmfare and National both are there from long time with filmfare being there for 60 years. Now there are many other awards started by diff TV channels and others but no one gives damn. Here we have TOI awards for first time- not much to see. no one cares who gets these awards not even actors.

When you let in 250,000 immigrants in every year, politics caters to this immigrant vote and less to its actual citizens. Reminds me of gregor robertsons speech when he got elected, thanking every ethnic community in existence except the average Canadian..

This film awards was a lewd attempt to suck up to the east indian community.

When you let in 250,000 immigrants in every year, politics caters to this immigrant vote and less to its actual citizens. Reminds me of gregor robertsons speech when he got elected, thanking every ethnic community in existence except the average Canadian..

I'm I the only one not hearing ANYTHING about these awards? It starts tonight but you'd never know it. I think the public's ambivalence towards this event is the lack of promotion. Is this thing suppose to be a secret? It cost me and every other tax payer over 10 million dollars so you'd think they would try to promote it some how.

I wonder if the BC Liberals are having second thoughts about this now. Not even their supporters seem to be defending this.

The show starts tonight at the Pacific Coliseum. 1 problem... it's invite only. Sorry tax payers of BC. But not to worry, I heard there are still tickets available for the awards show at BC Place on Sat. And they only cost between $60 to $525+.

As for tonight...

Brightly printed saris and flashy Bollywood dance moves could convince taxpayers their estimated $9.5 million investment was worth it this weekend.

The Times of India Film Awards kick off Thursday in the Pacific Coliseum with a musical extravaganza headlining the festivities.

The Nominations Gala and Technical Awards event is Friday, but it’s invite-only. Fans, however, can still get their Bollywood fix by watching film screenings Friday at venues around Vancouver.

Despite boasting a 30% South Asian population, Surrey won’t be hosting any official TOIFA events, which left a bitter taste in some people’s mouths.

“It boggles my mind why there’s nothing happening in Surrey,” said Anita Huberman, CEO of the Surrey Board of Trade.

TOIFA has faced criticism it is merely a taxpayer-funded publicity stunt for the BC Liberal Party, but Premier Christy Clark remained adamant the awards are a positive economic move at a press conference Wednesday in Kitsilano.

“We need to put this province on the map for the fastest-growing middle class in the history of the world, and the TOIFA awards and going to be one way for us to do that,” Clark said.

The festivities wrap up with the TOIFA awards ceremony at BC Place on Saturday.

Bollywood celebrities started arriving Tuesday, with actor Ranganathan Madhavan and singer Kavita Seth greeted by a small crowd of exited fans.

“I was expecting there to be a huge turnout and I would have to stand in the back and jump to see,” said Kavita Dhillon, a YVR employee who sprinted over to greet her heroes after she finished her shift.

http://vancouver.24h...ws-cheers-jeers

Bollywood celebrities started arriving Tuesday, with actor Ranganathan Madhavan and singer Kavita Seth greeted by a small crowd of exited fans.

“I was expecting there to be a huge turnout and I would have to stand in the back and jump to see,” said Kavita Dhillon, a YVR employee who sprinted over to greet her heroes after she finished her shift.

http://vancouver.24h...ws-cheers-jeers

Archived