The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guys what are we gonna do :(

Drew1

Around here, there are too few people willing to make a meaningful contribution in my opinion so I'm not so sure about dime a dozen.

Feel free to look at the history of my posts, but then also go and look at the history of Drew's (particularly the threads he creates). I create threads on signings, trades, proposals, etc. and post my opinion where it makes the most sense. Sometimes that means my opinion is that a thread is redundant, doesn't have enough intelligent thought, or is downright bad. Sometimes that's me posting an intelligent thought of my own when it deserves it, but I don't just hand that out if a poster doesn't feel I deserve the same.

It's usually a pretty good sign if someone ends their post asking not to be flamed since it's usually a good sign they've been burned plenty before. Some posters are able to recognize that and respond accordingly, others keep doing the same things they always have and hope the reaction is different.

As far as the OP's post, we recently passed 100 pages in the 6th version of the Luongo trade discussion thread so that accounts for the Bozak-"OMG we have to trade now!" part of his post. Then there's all the threads we've had about Gillis and AV, any number of which about bold moves being required or all is lost.

I guess I should have clarified what I meant by "dime a dozen", I am referring to the critique by ridicule tactic, rather than educate, and you seem to add more negativity to the boards by engaging this way.

I have never seen this strategy have any sort of positive outcome in any walk of life, but hey just my opinion, you are who you are embrace it.

I totally agree with the comments about MG. He's done absolute jack s**t to improve the team since the SCF and its really aggravating the hell out of me. And after getting bounced out in the 1st round by LA last season, you'd think there would be a little urgency on his part to make some significant changes, but hell no. It seems there's no limit to this guy's patience. All he does is add one single defenseman during the whole off-season. We lost Ehrhoff, who was a huge part of the success we had, and then Salo and Rome. And all we get is Garrisson. I'm sick of his "minor tweaking" style of adding to the team, and his usual thing of picking up a few depth players at the dead line.

He seems oblivious to the glaring weaknesses that the team is fraught with and how imperative the need to keep building it really is. We need a GM who is more proactive, not passive. One who sees weaknesses when they exist and addresses them, not just stand pat and live in a self deluded fantasy world that the team is a full on contender. And we need a GM who is more adept at making trades and signings and at how to properly evaluate and select prospective players. The whole management has done a pi ss poor job in that department.

Gillis is doing exactly what Nonis did (and what Gillis criticized him about). Band aid on a broken leg at the deadline.

I thought he was all about bold moves?

I think the window for this team has closed and if it means getting a few dynamic offensive players for this franchise to build around and more youth, speed, and skill, then I say start dismantling the complacent core now for picks and good prospects/young players. Take a few years to get a couple of franchise young players on cheap contracts. Could the team actually really play any less inspired with rookies and young players?

THAT is what has won cups for Anaheim, Chicago, Boston, and Pittsburgh...... the right infusion of young elite level talent. Gained mostly through sucking hard for a couple - or even several - years.

Being playoff tweeners like Calgary is a failed strategy but it is the most likely one in Van because it means more sellouts and money. Vancouver is scared to actually rebuild because they might piss off a whole bunch of short sighted and impatient fans.

This team NEEDS a re-tool or it will eventually have to be a deep and prolonged rebuild. Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward.

Gillis does not seem to be the guy to do it. AV is definitely not the coach to do it. And unfortunately it looks like the Aquilini's are not the owners to do it either.....

Gillis is doing exactly what Nonis did (and what Gillis criticized him about). Band aid on a broken leg at the deadline.

I think the window for this team has closed and if it means getting a few dynamic offensive players for this franchise to build around and more youth, speed, and skill, then I say start dismantling the complacent core now for picks and good prospects/young players. Take a few years to get a couple of franchise young players on cheap contracts. Could the team actually really play any less inspired with rookies and young players?

THAT is what has won cups for Anaheim, Chicago, Boston, and Pittsburgh...... the right infusion of young elite level talent. Gained mostly through sucking hard for a couple - or even several - years.

Being playoff tweeners like Calgary is a failed strategy but it is the most likely one in Van because it means more sellouts and money. Vancouver is scared to actually rebuild because they might piss off a whole bunch of short sighted and impatient fans.

This team NEEDS a re-tool or it will eventually have to be a deep and prolonged rebuild. Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward.

Gillis does not seem to be the guy to do it. AV is definitely not the coach to do it. And unfortunately it looks like the Aquilini's are not the owners to do it either.....

I don't think there's much MG can do. Either he goes full blown in this season and trades Jensen and our 1st for some legit scorers and if that doesn't pan out your looking at rebuild time. OR he does the usual minor tinkering, hopes for the best. When we go out early the coaching staff will likely be gone next year, the roster gets built out with rookies and you have what could be called a "transition year" waiting/hoping for the cap to rise significantly for the 2014/15 season.

Archived