The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whites To Become Minority in Metro Vancouver by 2031

DonLever

And? Who cares?

People are people. Perhaps in 2031, attitudes will be more diverse? Europeans arrived in BC in 1770-ish. How did the Aboriginal people who lived here already jive with that? So, how can things be different in 2030 when non-whites are no longer the "dominant" culture?

We are all Homo Sapiens Sapiens. Our differences are minute, racially, doable, culturally. If the color of your neighbor's skin is of importance to you, perhaps you should consider moving to a new neighborhood?

If we all look out for, and care for, one another, does it really matter what we freakin' look like?

OMG!

Flame away, CDC.

Providing that they are willing to embrace Canadian culture as well as preserving some of their own I don't see a problem with it. That means making an effort to learn English, as referenced to in another thread.

Of course, I don't live there so my opinion may well differ from many on this board.

My only concern with this is the continuing segregation that is already a moderate problem now IMO.

I'm all for a diverse cultural mosaic but that's not what we're building right now and frankly it needs addressing. A mosaic implies many pieces randomly mixed throughout the overall. We're not getting that, we're getting clusters of similar pieces that barely interact or mesh with each other and it's unfortunate.

I bet it'll happen before 2031, once an incoming ethnic group group reaches critical mass then the outgoing one(s) start moving out in droves in a snowball effect, especially when the incomers aren't friendly and have "intentions". We've seen this in many other places and times.

Even 10 years from now, being non-Asian in most of Vancouver is going to be like being non-Asian in an Asian mall right now, as in expect a lot of stares and passive aggressive attitudes aimed at making you feel unwelcome, as well as being at a disadvantage in the workplace, politically etc.

My only concern with this is the continuing segregation that is already a moderate problem now IMO.

I'm all for a diverse cultural mosaic but that's not what we're building right now and frankly it needs addressing. A mosaic implies many pieces randomly mixed throughout the overall. We're not getting that, we're getting clusters of similar pieces that barely interact or mesh with each other and it's unfortunate.

I can't really think of too many ither cities where overall race relations have worsened rather than improved in the last 20 or 30 years.

IMO it goes back to a lot of resentment having been stirred up on account of exploitative politically favored immigrant ethnic groups.

Archived