Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

What are your most hated coaching decisions in AV's tenure?

Discussion

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 CanuckleHorse

CanuckleHorse

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

I have to many to list so ill give you a five. 1) He skated the guys the morning of the 7th game they looked sluggish and slow at the start of the game. 2) Not playing Linden with the twins his last year that line was awesome when played together. 3) His line decisions always leaves me scratching my head offensive players playing with plugs? 4)This year he had Kass playing lights out with the twins he had burrows playing center instead of wing where he would have been more useful with another line. 5) He loves defensive plugs he would play them over a more offensive gifted player. ps I feel bad for Jensen an offensive player with a coach who wants him to play a D first type game.

#2 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

POPULAR

Keith Ballard.

The guy is a good NHL defenseman but has been poorly utilized and spends his time in the press box instead of in the line-up. Ballard/Tanev has been my favorite defensive unit this year.. Too bad.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#3 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

POPULAR

Putting the pen on the contract when he re-signed here.

I also hate when he hoots like an owl to indicate a line-change every time the Canucks have to generate some offence off the rush.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#4 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

POPULAR

I like the guy. The pros outweight the cons. One of our best coaches. I still think it's time to move on because this team really looks out of it right now with him.

I don't like his philosophy of making every prospect work his way into the top six. Sometimes a prospect develops better playing in the top six. If he can't do that, send him to the AHL. But at the same time, if a prospect has 1 bad game playing there, after 3 good ones, it's not time to send him to the AHL/4th line.

I don't like how he broke Ballard.

If he was involved in anyways with Shirokov getting sent down (I think it was all MG, so he's safe), than I am definitely not a fan of that.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#5 crime911

crime911

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

POPULAR

So easy: refusing to pull Lu in game 3 after eating three quick, bad goals and instead pandering to Lu's ego, which very well may have cost us the series and cup. It cost us a 2-0 series lead for sure imo.

Edited by DarthNinja_S19Blade, 31 March 2013 - 06:05 PM.

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#7 EagleShield

EagleShield

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

POPULAR

Probably not starting Cory in Game 4 or Game 6 against Boston.

#8 CaNuCkSLoUiE23

CaNuCkSLoUiE23

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

POPULAR

Not pulling goalies when needed, putting rookies with high potential on the fourth line when they have clearly proven themselves, staying quiet when the team needs to step up, the list can go on...

#9 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

POPULAR

Game 4 perhaps but starting Cory in game 6 would have been outright retarded considering Lu pitched a shutout in game 5.

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#10 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,532 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

POPULAR

Not allowing the team to stand up for the abuse Daniel and Henrik were taking against Boston

Defending 1-goal leads

Refusal to give younger players a chance
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#11 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

POPULAR

How could they?

Luongo plays well in games 1 and 2 in Van.
Game three gets ventilated. Still up 2-1.
Game four looks bad, but he plays lights out at home, so you have to start him.
Game 5, gets a shutout in a 1-0 victory. So how do you not start him in game 6?
Game 6, looks bad, but he has 2 shutouts in the series at home.
So how can you not start him?
Game 7 :sadno:

#12 bahaazar

bahaazar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

Not protecting his talented players and REFUSAL to develop them --- would rather play Rome then other more talented defenseman, hanging Ballad out to dry....NOT PLAYING KASSIAN...

#13 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

Calling out Hodgson in the media and saying he was using excuses when Cody was still hurt.

Unwillingness to pull Luongo when there was a capable back up.

Being too conservative. Sitting on 1 goal leads or letting other teams continually forecheck hard against the team. Last year the Kings forecheck was dominating, you can't just let that go on you have to try something else.

Lack of flexibility with the Sedins. He should have separated them and played them on the PK sometimes. Let them succeed or open up peoples eyes to their weaknesses. Too many people think the Sedins having to play together is some cool strength, but they are completely backwards it's a weakness.

#14 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,334 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

POPULAR

1) Leaving Luongo in for all 8 goals in Boston, essentially destroying his confidence
2) His management of Ballard
3) Taking Kassian off the Sedin line while he was producing

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#15 Sixteen W's

Sixteen W's

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

POPULAR

It's his non-decisions that I've really hated. It's as if once he's formed an opinion, he doesn't budge from it until it's too late.
Posted Image

#16 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

Treatment of rookies.

#17 xereau

xereau

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

POPULAR

Chasing two Canucks' legends from the city, and ultimately the game; Linden and Naslund would both not play for AV, and drew the line in the sand, and lost. Disgusting.

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man:
brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the

timid join him; for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."

Mark Twain

#18 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

1. Ballard. Ballard has been managed terribly from day one.
2. Not having the team stand up for itself in the finals against Boston. The twins should not have taken that abuse.
3. Not inserting Rypien into the lineup against Boston. I guarantee Marchand would not have been running around. Ripper was the toughest player in the league pound for pound.
4. Chasing Canuck legends Linden and Naslund off the team. Linden was managed terribly under AV, and Naslund didn't like the guy either.
5. Not managing our prospects effectively and playing to their strengths as opposed to trying to make them play a game they aren't suited to.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,623 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

Sitting on leads. Ugh.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#20 CaNANDian

CaNANDian

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

Not letting rookies play, teams like Chicago, St. Louis and Philly do it all the time. How do you expect them to learn on the 4th line playing vs plugs?

Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.

-- Christopher Hitchens

@CaNANDian

#21 Gustavo Fring

Gustavo Fring

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

Not starting schneids in boston during the cup run.
Posted Image

#22 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

Most recent, no timeout in the Edmonton game before he pulled Schneider. Riot act and let CS battle back...
I Love Lamp...

#23 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

When he chose to win the line match-up cup instead of the Stanley cup.

#24 j3ff

j3ff

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

Not starting schneids in boston during the cup run.

this for sure. i wish he could have aided the hodgson situation too, but maybe it just wasn't meant to be

#25 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,213 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

Posted Image

AV refuses to give this young guy a chance.
As he did with Burrows, Edler, Kesler, Hansen, Raymond....
Ruins every young player he gets his hands on.

#26 Patrick Kane

Patrick Kane

Assistant to Regional Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

POPULAR

Managing Cody Hodgson.

You will be missed.

#27 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,026 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

Luongo proved twice in a row that he couldn't play well in Boston. It was like him in Chicago all over again.

A coach with any balls would have gone with Schneider in game 6, regardless of Lu's shutout. He was probably emotionally drained after that game 5 win.

But regardless, the team didn't step up at home in game 7 so that's ultimately what it came down to.

Edited by DeNiro, 31 March 2013 - 11:01 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#28 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

Chasing two Canucks' legends from the city, and ultimately the game; Linden and Naslund would both not play for AV, and drew the line in the sand, and lost. Disgusting.

I dont like AV and im not trying to defend him... But...

What?

Linden retired, i might agree with you about Naslund, but def not Linden.

#29 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:20 PM

1) management of ballard
2) not utilizing his timeouts correctly
3) leaving goalies in the net after everyone realizes he's having a bad game ( luongo in Detroit this season)
4) mis-managing prospects; not developing them properly
5) his choice of gum

The list goes on and on

#30 The Magician

The Magician

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

Kassian had 5 goals in 7 games and was tied second in scoring in the league with Henrik and Daniel. AV logic takes action and puts him down to the 3rd/4th for some reason and he has struggled ever since. Now he is behind Ebbet, Sestito, and Pinozzoto, in a roster spot sitting in the AHL with scrubs.

cL3GIZK.jpg

Credit to Parise11 for the amazing sig!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.