The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are your most hated coaching decisions in AV's tenure?

CanuckleHorse

He tends to "tinker" with the lines too much for me when what I think is required is more practice and honing of the lines who have proved themselves in the past.

In his defence though, I think he does this because he has a GM who has been asleep at the wheel for over 2 years.

being unprepared for the la kings series , with d sedin out with a concussion av had weeks to think of some sort of back up plan to replace sedin, instead of hoping he would come back and save the canucks , and av responce was i was hoping sedin would come back sooner and didnt know he was going to be out longer what a crock management should of fired him after that series everyone knows you dont come to work un prepared

being unprepared for the la kings series , with d sedin out with a concussion av had weeks to think of some sort of back up plan to replace sedin, instead of hoping he would come back and save the canucks , and av responce was i was hoping sedin would come back sooner and didnt know he was going to be out longer what a crock management should of fired him after that series everyone knows you dont come to work un prepared

Initially Sedin was supposed to be back for the playoffs. It's called a setback. And really what was AV going to do differently? Wave a magic wand at Booth and Raymond to make them produce? Or maybe "lay hands" on Kesler and heal him? Honestly, with no second line we weren't going deep into the playoffs regardless.

AV absolutely hates one way offensive players if they aren't the sedins because he would much rather give sedins all the offensive starts and have 3 lines play out of the defensive zone. Makes it kind of hard for any young players drafted for offense to showcase their offensive skill because they always start in the D zone and that's probably the worst aspect of their game which is sort of the case with schoeder but he's alright defensively. Hodgson was LUCKY to get any offensive starts and that was only to increase his trade value. Not many players are like kesler and start as shutdown centers and become 2 way centers, most are drafted for offense and learn their defensive game along the way but AV seems to think everyone should be selke calibre or else 4th line you go.

Initially Sedin was supposed to be back for the playoffs. It's called a setback. And really what was AV going to do differently? Wave a magic wand at Booth and Raymond to make them produce? Or maybe "lay hands" on Kesler and heal him? Honestly, with no second line we weren't going deep into the playoffs regardless.

One that bothered me, and I don't believe anyone has touched on, and could be perceived as a nothing moment was AV's "Youtube" moment against Dallas, In my view showed something of AV's leadership, was when Fiddler was making fun of Bieksa and AV was laughing uncontrollablely almost to the point of having to leave the bench, I could tell Juice was not impressed by Fiddlers antic's and rightly so, Juice is a proud man, and one to have a good time play a few jokes as well, but in the heat of the battle, well not so sure this was a time Juice would have chosen for it, and then to top it all off you have your leader yucking it up behind you creating a nice "youtube" moment for himself just doesn't sit right with me.

I find that side of AV refreshing to a point, but in my eyes this wasn't the time or place, for me this was a telling moment for leadership.

Linden finished 7th amongst Canuck forwards in points in 2006-2007, but I was always angry because AV kept sticking him on the 4th line.

Sure, Linden had come off a bad year, but he was just 1 season removed from back to back 41 and 36 point seasons. He was skating well and obviously put up more points in the end. He was averaging 12 minutes a game, he should have been playing 14-16.. Jan Bulis level at least.

That really bothered me because that was also AV's first season here and to put the heart and soul on the 4th line made no sense.

I also hate AV for his relationship with Cooke. Lots of rumours stating that Cooke was moved because he and AV didn't get along. But Cooke was and has proven to be the perfect 3rd liner.. Since leaving the Canucks he's won a cup, 18 points in 41 playoff games, 2 15+ goal seasons.. lots of aggressiveness and a great forechecker. A 3rd line featuring Cooke of today and Hansen of today would be awesome.

I also hate AV for his relationship with Cooke. Lots of rumours stating that Cooke was moved because he and AV didn't get along. But Cooke was and has proven to be the perfect 3rd liner.. Since leaving the Canucks he's won a cup, 18 points in 41 playoff games, 2 15+ goal seasons.. lots of aggressiveness and a great forechecker. A 3rd line featuring Cooke of today and Hansen of today would be awesome.

Don't believe he was laughing quite as hard, In my view it was more of what an ***hole type of laugh.

I'm not sure if Juice was even aware what AV was doing, the aesthetics of it for me, is more of what I am referring too.

As I am not privy to what goes on behind closed doors, I try to see the little things that are going on during the game, I try to see what is going on that has them winning or losing, just how I'm wired I guess.

Stats are a great start, but usually there is a lot more to the tale.

Most of these posts are pure imagined myths.

But this is one that has weight and substance.

Schnieds would have shined in his home state.

Wouldnt have mattered. The Canucks were so banged up and Thomas was playing like a freak.

-Playing not to lose

-Offensively conservative

-Discourages physical game (this will bite this team on the ass presuming we make it to the playoffs)

-Favoritism/Two sets of rules (Rome/Ballard)

-Frivolous line juggling

-Pulling goalies too soon or not soon enough

And specifically, his most recent infuriating move was pulling CS after two goals on two shots. Yes, that was abysmal, but Lou came in and got shelled and stayed the whole game. Imagine what it would do for Schneider's confidence IF he were allowed to stay in and pull it together for the rest of the game. Yes, there is the risk that he gets rocked for a couple more and we still lose, but we lost anyway. If Lou had started that game, I can almost guarantee he stays in after getting rocked for two quickies. History bears me out. And now CS's numbers are all fried because he wasn't allowed to make a single save. I know it was a horrendous start, but everyone has those kinds of games. They don't typically get yanked in the first 3 minutes, tho.

1) management of ballard

2) not utilizing his timeouts correctly

3) leaving goalies in the net after everyone realizes he's having a bad game ( luongo in Detroit this season)

4) mis-managing prospects; not developing them properly

5) his choice of gum

The list goes on and on

Archived