The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are your most hated coaching decisions in AV's tenure?

CanuckleHorse

His love affair with an underachieving plug like lapierre. I thought the guy put on muscle but has yet to show it. Bench him do something. But no, rookies take all the heat.

Mostly him playing favourites with ayers who deserve to be benched.

He's a good coach but I think he's done all he can here

His love affair with an underachieving plug like lapierre. I thought the guy put on muscle but has yet to show it. Bench him do something. But no, rookies take all the heat.

Mostly him playing favourites with ayers who deserve to be benched.

He's a good coach but I think he's done all he can here

The problem with the one way offensive players is, if they're not scoring (and everybody has slumps) they're hurting more than helping. What's the point in scoring a goal if you're on the ice for two? A skilled two way player is at least helping to keep the puck out of his own net when in a scoring slump. Two way play is something Scottie Bowman insisted on and there isn't a more successful coach. He was even willing to move Yzerman over his one way play despite being a 50 goal scorer. Yzerman was even cut from a Canada Cup team because he was a floater without the puck. He did come around though and finally bought into the two way game under Bowman. He became a far better player as a result.

Who takes the faceoffs? Lapierre has the best percentage of the centers currently playing.

Aside from that, his average ice time is ahead of ahead of only Pinnizotto, Weise, Gordon and Sestito...yet somehow still manages to lead the entire team in hits.

Well I don't claim to be an expert on who was laughing the hardest, but if you say so...

...from what I saw, it looked like a "that was pretty funny, even if it was at my expense" sort of laugh.

As far as the "aesthetics" of it, you're entitled to your opinion, but IMO, it belongs firmly in the "who cares" pile...that's just how I'm wired...

It's hard to keep track of all AV's (Mr. Gant's) bizarre decisions.

IMO, maybe the one that impacted the team the most, was convincing MG to agree to make Luongo the team Captain. Not only did this move make no sense from a practical perspective, the risk was that it became a huge distraction for the most important position on the club, which is exactly what happened. You could argue that the entire season was a right off and Luongo never regained his confidence.

MG's biggest mistake was not hiring his own coach after AV missed the playoffs costing Nonis his job. Maybe MG feels gratefull to AV for getting the GM's job in the first place.

IMO, maybe the one that impacted the team the most, was convincing MG to agree to make Luongo the team Captain. Not only did this move make no sense from a practical perspective, the risk was that it became a huge distraction for the most important position on the club, which is exactly what happened. You could argue that the entire season was a right off and Luongo never regained his confidence.

MG's biggest mistake was not hiring his own coach after AV missed the playoffs costing Nonis his job. Maybe MG feels gratefull to AV for getting the GM's job in the first place.

- He's not flexible with his strategies. Nor will he change them if he finds what he planned isn't working.

- Yet he will mix up his lines, including ones that are working, but not the plan.

- Favors plugs over skill.

- Can't seem to prepare the team for games.

- Struggles on when to call a timeout.

- The team goes on wild swings of good/bad. We get record losing streaks, along with record win streaks. No consistency.

- Struggles on managing certain types of players, and basically once you're in his doghouse he won't let you back in.

- Doesn't seem to want to fix major problems like the power play. Even if it's his assistants job, he should be stepping in and trying to find solutions. Try two passes tops and shoot. Or put in a big body to crash the net. You know..simplify?

- Doesn't seem to be able to amp up the compete level in the team, and not keeping the team motivated.

- Doesn't seem to teach very much, or provide advice and coaching for players to improve. Yes it's a veteran team, but good players are always learning. If there's an opportunity for the players to get better, in terms of positioning, movement, etc, why not share it. Even just to try and help the players. That way they know they aren't alone. Support allows players to build confidence. Knowing that learning from mistakes, sometimes is a powerful motivator.

The problem with the one way offensive players is, if they're not scoring (and everybody has slumps) they're hurting more than helping. What's the point in scoring a goal if you're on the ice for two? A skilled two way player is at least helping to keep the puck out of his own net when in a scoring slump. Two way play is something Scottie Bowman insisted on and there isn't a more successful coach. He was even willing to move Yzerman over his one way play despite being a 50 goal scorer. Yzerman was even cut from a Canada Cup team because he was a floater without the puck. He did come around though and finally bought into the two way game under Bowman. He became a far better player as a result.

Keith Ballard.

The guy is a good NHL defenseman but has been poorly utilized and spends his time in the press box instead of in the line-up. Ballard/Tanev has been my favorite defensive unit this year.. Too bad.

Agreed Veenyo destroyed his confidence to a good Dman otherwise.

Hodgson as well, toying with his mind when out with the back injury, hopefully Kassian wont be too scarred by this nonsense.

Archived