The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Jamie McBain (Carolina) Available?

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger 1m

Jamie McBain's name has surfaced in trade market. Carolina sounds open to options on return. 25 year old will attract offers.#tradecentre

One more year at 1.8 (cap hit) then a RFA. Right handed shot. Defenseman.

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m

As @DarrenDreger tweeted earlier, I'm also hearing Jamie McBain is available in Carolina... has one more season on his deal at $1.9 M

Wouldn't be a horrible pick-up, but he's never played a playoff game and has 6 points in 26 games this season including 0 in his last 12.

JR will probably overvalue him, but if he could actually be had for a "hockey deal" and not an inflated deadline deal he'd be a decent pick up.

We desperately need a righty now that garrison is settling in nicely on the right side

We need a righty in our 7/8 defensemen spot

McCain might be available but that's doesn't mean they are gonna give him away, they are gonna want a fair bit for him

There's a somewhat interesting pattern in his stats.

GP G A P PIM +/- 2009-10 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 14 3 7 10 0 +6 -- -- -- -- -- 2010-11 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 76 7 23 30 32 -8 -- -- -- -- -- 2011-12 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 76 8 19 27 4 -7 -- -- -- -- -- 2012-13 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 26 1 5 6 12 +9

His highest point seasons with the Hurricanes came with a bad +/- rating, but his lowest point seaons come with a good +/- rating. It appears that offensive risk-taking didn't work out for him, so he's gone back to a more defensive style.

Maybe he could work out here if he's instructed to be Edler's stay-at-home partner like Salo used to be, but without watching any Carolina games (please fill me in on this if possible), I just can't conclusively say it will pan out that way.

I also don't know what to expect other teams to give up to get him. Philly could very well outbid us, given their well-documented need for quality top-4 defense.

I've watched a few Carolina games, and he definetly impressed me with his offensive instincts a few years back. He is definetly an offensive guy and has some size.

Think Tanev with much more offensive skill, but a little less composure with the puck in the d-zone

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger 40s

Surprise and instant interest from NHL teams upon hearing Jamie McBain's name as trade target. #tradecentre

Not sure what Carolina would be looking for. Their offense is shored up for the foreseeable future with Staal's, Skinner, Semin. I assume they still plan on moving forward with Cam Ward in net.

I guess their defense could use some help.. Maybe looking to move a young offensive defenseman for a steady stay at home guy?

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger 40s

Surprise and instant interest from NHL teams upon hearing Jamie McBain's name as trade target. #tradecentre

Not sure what Carolina would be looking for. Their offense is shored up for the foreseeable future with Staal's, Skinner, Semin. I assume they still plan on moving forward with Cam Ward in net.

I guess their defense could use some help.. Maybe looking to move a young offensive defenseman for a steady stay at home guy?

ive wanted us to try and get Mcbain for quite some time. It wont be cheap probably, but hes a right handed shot, signed for a year. Would be nice if we can rekindle our trading past with Carolina.

They might trade Mcbain if a team is willing to take J.Jokinen aswell, which im not opposed to either.

Question is, what do they want? Id move a 2nd round pick in this years draft as part of the deal. Any pick but our 1st should be on the table until we see what the return is for luongo.

hamhuis bieksa

edler Mcbain

Garrison Tanev

The above D pairings are alot more well round, problem still is of course Ballard. But we should really just dump him for a prospect or a couple picks to shed salary. Keeping all these high priced D men and 2 pricey Goalies has to come to an end, hopefully soon

ive wanted us to try and get Mcbain for quite some time. It wont be cheap probably, but hes a right handed shot, signed for a year. Would be nice if we can rekindle our trading past with Carolina.

They might trade Mcbain if a team is willing to take J.Jokinen aswell, which im not opposed to either.

Question is, what do they want? Id move a 2nd round pick in this years draft as part of the deal. Any pick but our 1st should be on the table until we see what the return is for luongo.

hamhuis bieksa

edler Mcbain

Garrison Tanev

The above D pairings are alot more well round, problem still is of course Ballard. But we should really just dump him for a prospect or a couple picks to shed salary. Keeping all these high priced D men and 2 pricey Goalies has to come to an end, hopefully soon

Wouldn't be a horrible pick-up, but he's never played a playoff game and has 6 points in 26 games this season including 0 in his last 12.

JR will probably overvalue him, but if he could actually be had for a "hockey deal" and not an inflated deadline deal he'd be a decent pick up.

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun 2m

more Rumblings, http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/23113/rumblings-sens-goalie-bishop-in-play …

McBain's name comes up

One new name popped up Monday as potential trade bait: defenseman Jamie McBain.

I'm told the Carolina Hurricanes would be willing to move him if the offer was right. McBain is not a rental; he has one more year on his deal at $1.9 million in salary and $1.8 million on the cap. He's an intriguing name, to be sure, a guy who can provide some offense from the back end.

Speaking of the Hurricanes, I'm also hearing that, despite clearing waivers last week, forward Jussi Jokinen continues to generate interest from other teams that want Carolina to take a player back in return. So he could definitely move before Wednesday's deadline.

Jokinen is a player the Vancouver Canucks have on their radar, although I would say he's not at the top of their list.

Archived