The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TRADE] Handzus to Blackhawks

Say what you want, Handzus would have been a perfect fit for the Canucks:

- He's a great faceoff man, the Canucks are one of the worst faceoff teams in the league.

- He's a shoot out expert. In the remaining 13 games there's bound to be a couple of shootouts, and right now we need every point we can get to edge Minnesota. Those few points will make a difference.

- He's a big body who can play physically, we have next to no size on this team anymore

- He's an NHL center, we have Henrik and Lapierre as our only NHL centers right now, the rest are AHLers

- He's 36 and experienced, we don't have one true veteran on this team after Malhotra and Salo left, and it shows as we get rattled so easily nowadays. We need a veteran presence like this guy.

Call him slow, call him what you want but he fills a lot of our needs and very cheaply.

Anything can happen in the Playoffs, I don't think I would have minded him joining Vancouver at the deadline, but didn't think he would have as much of an impact.

It's not like he woul dhave been playing on the top line or second line with the twins or Kelser etc...like he was playing top six in Chicago. So he would not get the opportunities and production in Vancouver as he did in Chicago anyways.

Was a perfect fit.

Hate to say I told you so, once again. Handzus brought experience, size and grit to the Blackhawks. He ended up being their 2nd line center, and was a HUGE reason they won the Cup. They definately don't win the Cup without him - that would have been a hole far to big to fill.

Veteran pickups at the deadline lead to championships. That kind of experience all around the league is vital for a young team. Now looking at the Canucks, we've got a couple of veterans in the twins up front, but on our blueline there is no one with even 500 games. Now we're expecting Tanev and Corrado to become NHL starting defencemen, our experience on the back end got a lot worse. We need a grey-beard on the blueline, someone like Roszival who was instrumental in Chicago's win.

Hate to say I told you so, once again. Handzus brought experience, size and grit to the Blackhawks. He ended up being their 2nd line center, and was a HUGE reason they won the Cup. They definately don't win the Cup without him - that would have been a hole far to big to fill.

Veteran pickups at the deadline lead to championships. That kind of experience all around the league is vital for a young team. Now looking at the Canucks, we've got a couple of veterans in the twins up front, but on our blueline there is no one with even 500 games. Now we're expecting Tanev and Corrado to become NHL starting defencemen, our experience on the back end got a lot worse. We need a grey-beard on the blueline, someone like Roszival who was instrumental in Chicago's win.

Funny I recall proposing the exact trade that happened.

/topic/340112-proposal-canucks-sharks/page__p__11146181#entry11146181">http://forum.canucks.com/topic/340112-proposal-canucks-sharks/page__p__11146181#entry11146181

To Vancouver: Martin Handzus

To San Jose: 4th Round Pick

(Can Throw Ebbett or Tockhin, exc. In if we need to ditch a contract)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Handzus is the perfect replacement for Manny.

He is huge (6'5 215) He is great on faceoffs, great defensively, Can bring some offense aswell, and can step into the top 9 when needed. And he even helps in the shootouts (for the regular season) And he is a much better option than Dave Steckel.

His cap hit is 2.5 but he is a pending UFA so he would just be a rental.

Anything can happen in the Playoffs, I don't think I would have minded him joining Vancouver at the deadline, but didn't think he would have as much of an impact.

It's not like he woul dhave been playing on the top line or second line with the twins or Kelser etc...like he was playing top six in Chicago. So he would not get the opportunities and production in Vancouver as he did in Chicago anyways.

Was a perfect fit.

Archived