The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What a beautiful HST free day

Harbinger

The fall of the HST was a huge win for the uneducated.

As an accountant that audits manufacturing companies as well as film/production companies, you've hurt their businesses and you've hindered BC's competitive advantage over other provinces.

As more provinces adopt HST, BC has taken a step backwards. I'm guessing Surrey couldn't bother researching the benefits of HST before they voted.

Shame.

It was dumbt, shortsighted, small minded thinking on the majority of the population led by that twit vander zalm. HST was necessary for business (which if you don't understand or are to young to understand that it drives economies) that, combined with the NDP coming back is going to lead back to the dark ages of the 90's for BC, that's why I chose to move to Alberta, watch over the next 3 years as head offices that came back to bc head back out to Alberta.

BC hasn't had manufacturing in 10 years.

Don't use contractors as your identifier. I work in contracting. The first rule of contracting is never tell your client what you actually pay for anything. The prices we pay for stuff and then charge you for would make your skin crawl. The tax on the goods could go up 30 percent and it would still cost the contractor 20 percent less than what it costs you to buy the same thing. There is nothing but profit to be made when the contractor buys stuff for the client.

I have a bit of a bone to pick.

Being a salesperson the HST - GST/PST bugs the hell out of me.

-Before the HST came in I lost count of people saying "we better buy it now before the tax goes up!"

-After the HST came in I was amazed how many people bitched about the damn taxes being so high now. (It took me a while to get used to the especially dumb look on their faces when I told them that it's 12% regardless)

-Before the HST was abolished, after the above experiences, I was not surprised when I talked with multiple people on a daily basis who believed that they would be charged less tax after today.

12% is 12% is 12% on the vast majority of goods.

Also, as there was no HST on basic groceries, and no GST/PST on those same groceries, buying your food at the grocery store shouldn't cost a penny more, except for perhaps a slight rise in cost to help offset the increased business expenses under GST/PST.

On a $50.00 resteraunt bill, your extra 3.50 paid in tax should not be a deterrant to keep you from spending that $50.00. If you can't afford the 3.50, don't spend the $50.00.

One example of an important organization that really misses the HST... the ABCFP (Association of BC Forest Professionals) would have saved $30,000.00, they are the governing body over BC's Forest Professionals, and do advocacy work for sound forest management.

We have what we have now and like it or not GST/PST is back. I'm looking at going into business myself, and it absolutely kills me that it's going to have to operate under GST/PST.

Archived