The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don't Have SKILL to Get by Anymore

LuongoG1

If by skill you mean space cadet Bieksa who should probably work on his pass accuracy rather than sitting out every single practice, or Edler who is turning into an absolute pylon with zero puck awareness... then you're right we dont need that

NOBODY'S GOT TIME 4 DAT

Skill and Leadership is a huge problem on this team.

While I do agree the Sedins have a lot of skill most teams know they can beat them just by shutting them down along the boards.

There is and never has been any push back from the Sedins when teams shut them down. Everyone says we need a strong brute to be on the ice with them for when they get dirty hits against them. How about the Twins sticking up for themselves or better yet a defencemen! Instead of changing a lineup for that sole puprpose. So in that department epic FAIL by management and AV.

Yes injuries have hurt us this year but only because we have no other people on this team who can score. Even if you bring Kesler back how is that going to help? We may get one more goal a game maybe 2 but you still need others to score.

While I do agree Kassian will be better in the future did we really need to trade Hodgson for something that may come in 2 or 3 years and may not? For all you that say he wanted to be traded..... so what??? Who cares he is a young kid still learning, all it would have taken would be the TWINS sitting him down and talking to him, but that necver happened cause they aren't leaders.

When Hodgson was here we had 2 legitimate lines scoring which took a lot of the pressure off the Sedins now we have nothing like that.

Put that aside and look at the defence. No one can knock Hamhuis he has heart and least doesnt get in as much trouble as some of the others.Bieksa is the same as he was 3 years ago no change. Makes good plays and sometimes doesnt show up. He needs to play on the edge to be productive he needs to show NASTY. We got rid of Ehrhoff and Salo 2 of our best defensemen ( best meaning they were great at moving the puck and on the PP ) and now we have Edler, who cant move the puck looks slow half the time and is flapping his wings away from the water. Garrison shoots and misses, shoots and misses, shoots and misses. I mean come on. Add to that that neither of them including Tanev is in anyway a leader for the Defence they barely talk.

It all goes hand in hand though............ If you trade away skill and get little in return it comes down to Gillis and AV period. Its their job to ensure thay have all the pieces. If you then think you do have all the pieces then it comes down to the players. Or the Coach needs to go.

For all you who keep saying we wont make it very far in the playoffs................... We will be lucky to make it to the playoffs the way they are playing. Even then we WILLNOT make it past the 1st round.

I am by no means a bandwagon fan. I will stick with this team through thick and thin just as I have for 40+ years, But what I see right now I dont like and things need to change now. If gillis doesnt shake it up he needs to go as well as AV. We lost alot and got nothing in return.

Leadership is non existant right now in all departments but its a little hard to just blame the players when it all starts with who Management brings in to Lead.

Question the coaches/GM as much as you want - it's about leadership in the room.

How many times have we seen this team give up one goal, and then completely unravel to let in a slew of goals within a few minutes. This team got by with skill in the past... now that they don't the overwhelming talent - you start to see their real problems. Even with the overwhelming talent, it's happened before - see Boston 2011... let in a goal and they just completely fall apart.

ZERO mental toughness. Pan the camera to Henrik when that's happening and he's sitting there with his mouth shut... how about a VOCAL leader to calm guys down?

So many problems... and the crappiest part is knowing there won't be wholesale leadership changes like there needs to be.

I think this team needs to rid of the sedins, talk about shake up. They have no heart, no leadership abilities. Just cause your the most skilled doesnt make you captain.

Someone wrote how canucks have so many injured, however, the first line remains intact. They should be taking control and scoring clutch goals! They cant cause every team has them figured out. They love to cycle, they love to make the pretty passes and abovr all they dont like to shoot that much. Well shut down their cycling game, cover them well and guess what... They are no longer an after thought! I mean if you cant score, hit! Do somthing to motivate your team!

Someone also mentioned how hank just sits there like a mute when the team is gettig shelled! I agree. He is a mute! The last guy wrote it best, this team has zero leadership. No heart!!

I wish hank played like a doug gilmour!! There was a true captain, a true leader!

Im not saying all of van. woes are the sedins fault, im not even blaming there goalies, i do realize most of the guys are hurt.

If you watch teams like Winnipeg for example, not as much talent as the canucks but they play their butts off! This team needs change!!!

My god look at the leafs! Horrific results last few years, fired their coach now the same team which was crap years before are allbout to make the playoffs for the first time since 04.

I dunno, im rambling. $100 that gillis makes no trades of an significants.

I do agree Kesler would help a little, but Booth still hasn't proven himself in the least bit since he has been here. Injuries are and have always been a huge problem with him.

So reality you are replacing a bandaid with another bandaid that doesnt cover the wound!

Kesler by no means is the savior here, its a lot of things that need to happen.

Sedins seem like they're lacking any kind of motivation. Earlier this year when they played the kings and henrik got his matchup with kopitar, he probably played his best game of the season. He was making confident moves, strong on the puck against a larger kopitar, and dangling. Now they're just kinda doing mediocre lazy plays and passing it off in a scoring position. Probably have nothing to prove right now, where as previous seasons when Daniel was out Henrik stepped up his game because I think he was trying to prove that they're both elite players on their own.

Archived