The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Edler - What are we seeing? (read before posting)

Sixteen W's

Read the thread first.

I'd like to know people's thoughts on Edler's play of late. This isn't a place to insult Edler. There's been plenty of examples of a player getting criticized here then turning their game around.

I'd like to know what people have been seeing from him on the ice and add their opinion on that.

For me, I've been seeing Edler look unmotivated. He appeared to skate leisurely to the puck with less than a minute left while trailing for the icing, and the last shoot didn't seem to give the team a chance to generate anything.

He plays well when the forwards, specifically the sedins play well. They haven't so neither does he. Also Edler doesn't have the creativity of actual top offensive d man like petriangelo letang Boyle markov. Not that I'm comparing him to those guys. Edler needs to get basic and focus his game on defence. Keep the puck out of the net, then worry about providing offense

We're seeing a combination of mediocre play combined with the microscope heating up because of the new contract.

I for one certainly hope we don't trade him, because he's the proven guy we have that has any untapped potential. Or if we do trade him, it had better be him in a package for Weber or somebody else elite. But who are we kidding?

We're also seeing too much money, WAY too much money being spent on our defense and goaltending. The result is an unbalanced team with injury and skill problems up front.

His lateral movement is terrible. He gets walked wide every single game.

Can't keep a puck in th offensive zone when it's bobbling toward him. Nick Lidstrom used to work on his hand eye cordination every day for 15-20 min a day. You rarely see a puck bounce over his stick.

Very poor breakout passes. Not deciding quick enough.

He's playing like a guy with a bad back & lacking a bit of coinfidence due to it. Seems a bit tenative at times, keeps losing the puck in his feet & seems to be trying hard but struggling with a safe style that imo isn't suited for him. Hope he's able to get things worked out in the offseason & if so we should see the old Eddie who crushes people and isn't afraid of unleashing that cannon of a shot. .

From the very beginning, ever since everyone was saying he was the next Lidstrom, I've been saying that he's overrated and I think this season is showing it. I know it would never happen, but I pray that Gillis trades Edler at the deadline before his NTC takes effect.

Archived