Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Signing] Higgins re-signs for 4 years, $2.5M per

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
181 replies to this topic

#31 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,843 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:07 AM

They made the right choice.

If I am right and it's the case, I agree.

I am aware what a limited NTC is. My point is that the player being able to limit the trading partners ALWAYS means more when the time that you want to trade the guy comes. Higgins is not a guy you give a NTC of any kind to imo.

For all you guys saying it is not a big deal, you need to re-think that. The market for trading players is small enough in a cap environment.

Higgins is also the type of guy that the team will probably never want/need to trade. He'll never be good enough to catch a big return, and his work ethic is worth more to us than what he'd fetch in a trade most likely.

wZEgqzy.png

#32 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:08 AM

If I am right and it's the case, I agree.

Higgins is also the type of guy that the team will probably never want/need to trade. He'll never be good enough to catch a big return, and his work ethic is worth more to us than what he'd fetch in a trade most likely.

Do you know how many times he has been traded in his career?

My point is that if this is what the Canucks think is a core player than we are in very big trouble. I LOVE his work ethic and his effort but he is a support guy on a team. Support guys are supposed to be the easiest ones to change when things have to be changed.

I think this team will need to do a rebuild before 4 years are up and trading guys like Higgins off will be a big part of that.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 02 April 2013 - 12:10 AM.

#33 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,599 posts

I like the contract, it is a bit long, I mean we can't hold down young talent forever. But at the same token we can still trade him, so its nbd. Nice to keep him in the fold.

zackass.png

#34 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Weak.

#35 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,127 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

I am aware what a limited NTC is. My point is that the player being able to limit the trading partners ALWAYS means more when the time that you want to trade the guy comes. Higgins is not a guy you give a NTC of any kind to imo.

For all you guys saying it is not a big deal, you need to re-think that. The market for trading players is small enough in a cap environment.

"All [you] want is a little heart and soul"... and you're nit picking this deal.
This guy is heart and soul. He's precisely the type of player you give a NTC to - he's outperformed his contract here and he's earned some say in where he takes his career. He just re-signed before going UFA. It's not a big deal.

#36 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:14 AM

A player who can play on every line. Fair deal for both sides.

#37 gurn

gurn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:15 AM

I like Higgins but 4 yrs is too long and I'd like more detail on just how limited the trade clause is.
Seems to me that the "window" is at max the next 2 years, and it would be a shame to not be able to trade him to the right team for future up and comers

#38 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:17 AM

If a player takes below market value there has to be give take.

#39 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,843 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:17 AM

Do you know how many times he has been traded in his career?

My point is that if this is what the Canucks think is a core player than we are in very big trouble. I LOVE his work ethic and his effort but he is a support guy on a team. Support guys are supposed to be the easiest ones to change when things have to be changed.

I think this team will need to do a rebuild before 4 years are up and trading guys like Higgins off will be a big part of that.

Many, but what I can see from his trading history he's never been a centerpiece, just an additional piece. I don't think this team is going to need a rebuild in four years because I'm optimistic about some of our young talent, so that might be why I see it differently.

wZEgqzy.png

#40 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,059 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:18 AM

I like Higgins but 4 yrs is too long and I'd like more detail on just how limited the trade clause is.
Seems to me that the "window" is at max the next 2 years, and it would be a shame to not be able to trade him to the right team for future up and comers

.... He will be 33 years old at the end of the 4 years.

CHris Higgins is a fixture on our 3rd line and a fine one too, and a player you can put anywhere. He, averaged 21 goals per season this year and last year, if it was rated to 82 games, playing just under 14 minutes per game. Currently hes on pace for a 22 goal season if this was a 82 game season.

Please do not forget.... we have a player locked up until he is 33, at 2.5 million, and was on pace for the 2nd time in a row a 21 goal season.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#41 Mrock-763

Mrock-763

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:19 AM

Love Higgins.

Heart and soul player. Great teammate, versatile and gives a 100% effort every shift.

Edited by Mrock-763, 02 April 2013 - 12:20 AM.

Posted Image
Props to Olias for providing me with this sick sig!

#42 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

If this is true, I wonder what it'll mean for Raymond's future here... if we can move out Luongo, and buyout/trade Ballard and Booth, then it's no problem to re-sign him but there's no guarantee of all that. If Higgins gets $2.5m, I think Raymond will command around $3m+ on a multi-year deal. It's not ridiculous to think a team would offer that much or more on the open market.

abl8vt.jpg

#43 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

I like the contract, it is a bit long, I mean we can't hold down young talent forever. But at the same token we can still trade him, so its nbd. Nice to keep him in the fold.

What young talent?? :shock:

4X5ed5z.gif

Credit to Tony Zamboni for the sig.

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#44 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:34 AM

how come we can give Higgins a 4 year deal meanwhile we couldn't of gave Torres a 2 year deal for 1.75 million?

But oh wells. If we can get gaborik or pominville or another top 6 to play with the sedins we could have

Sedins-Gaborik
Higgins-Kesler-Burr
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Pinizzotto-Lapierre-Kassian
Or
Sedins-Burr
Raymond-Kesler-Pominville
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Pinizzotto-Lapierre-Kassian

Edited by MayRayDown, 02 April 2013 - 12:34 AM.

#45 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,129 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:34 AM

A versatile player like Higgins will always be in demand, especially at 2.5 mil. I'm not worried in the slightest.

And I'm sure Gillis could find a trade out of 10 teams if it came down to it.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#46 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:37 AM

Higgins and Hansen are dynamite together. Amazing to think of the third line we could have with the right 3rd line gritty centre.

#47 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79,133 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:38 AM

Good signing.

307mg00.jpg

#48 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:40 AM

A versatile player like Higgins will always be in demand, especially at 2.5 mil. I'm not worried in the slightest.

And I'm sure Gillis could find a trade out of 10 teams if it came down to it.

Gillis seems to find it impossible to make any trade.

#49 ninja321

ninja321

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:43 AM

If this is true I'm really happy about this deal. He works hard every night and will be a good third liner for years to come!
Posted Image
Sig and Avatar by Me :)

#50 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 14,716 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:53 AM

We will certainly know in the next 36 hours, won't we?

This will be a very telling time in his tenure.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#51 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 19,127 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:58 AM

Posted in a thread about a guy he traded for.

#52 OurTimeToShine

OurTimeToShine

Otis

• Members
  • 11,849 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:58 AM

Gillis seems to find it impossible to make the right trade.

Fixed ;)

I don't mind this signing, hopefully Raymond is packaged for an upgrade up front

Posted Image

Thanks -Vintage Canuck-!!!

#53 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 14,716 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:06 AM

Just throwing it out there... possibly a sign and trade?

This time of year, if MG knew that a team was interested in Higgins at that price, getting him inked would raise his value far above what he would be worth as a pending UFA. Isn't this what they've been saying about Clowe?

Just thought I'd put that out there.

#54 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:10 AM

This re-signing preety much ends Raymonds time here. Jensen looked really good and nhl ready on his debut, he could replace Raymond next year.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Jensen - Kesler - Kassian
Hggins - _____ - Hansen
Sestito - Lappiere - Weise

#55 OurTimeToShine

OurTimeToShine

Otis

• Members
  • 11,849 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:10 AM

This time of year, if MG knew that a team was interested in Higgins at that price, getting him inked would raise his value far above what he would be worth as a pending UFA. Isn't this what they've been saying about Clowe?

Has there ever been a sign and trade around deadline time? Can't recall any.

Posted Image

#56 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 19,127 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:14 AM

The NTC part would be kind of odd.

#57 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 14,716 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:16 AM

Has there ever been a sign and trade around deadline time? Can't recall any.

I can't think of one off of the top of my head but the times, they are a changin'.

It's a totally different landscape today.

Imagine a player knows he is headed to UFA in this lowered Cap reality, and has discussed his perceived value with his agent. If offered that amount for a multiyear deal, where you also had some veto power regarding where you go, then I could see that being a real possibility.

If you know you're moving anyway, why not get the guaranteed money and a say in where you go (or don't go)?

Edit: The Senators signed and traded Marian Hossa in 2005.

Edited by theminister, 02 April 2013 - 01:23 AM.

#58 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:17 AM

I personally don't think this will be the only contract signed tomorrow.

Higgins is loved by the guys in the locker room so it totally makes sense he would get re-signed. Getting the "popular" players signed helps get other players to stick around.

I believe Lapierre has outplayed his original contract as well with the team and at 28 years old Gillis will love to get him to a contract of somewhere around the same term length. Lappy loves the city and met his fiance here shortly after signing, I am expecting him to receive somewhere in the range of 4yr/5M contract and it would be fitting that he signs the contract around the same time as Higgins as they came here together, and have both played their parts perfectly.

Raymond on the other hand is an interesting storyline. I personally think he has earned a nice new contract but I have a feeling that he wants more than the canucks can comfortably give him with our cap situation, and therefore will be traded tomorrow/wednesday. In the past it seemed that Gillis did not discuss contracts with his players during the season to keep from distraction but with a. the teams lackluster play and b. the salary cap situation next year, he has his hands tied and needs to get some of this done beforehand so summer isn't such a cluster****.

Tanev I don't see as having had discussions for a contract yet but I may be wrong, His RFA status allows gillis to work on more pressing manners for now., but I expect him signed shortly after the playoffs.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#59 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,591 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:19 AM

Good signing. If only some of the other players had some Higgy in their game. He gives the team 100% every game and then some.

#60 OurTimeToShine

OurTimeToShine

Otis

• Members
  • 11,849 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:22 AM

I can't think of one off of the top of my head but the times, they are a changin'.

It's a totally different landscape today.

Imagine a player knows he is headed to UFA in this lowered Cap reality, and has discussed his perceived value with his agent. If offered that amount for a multiyear deal, where you also had some veto power regarding where you go, then I could see that being a real possibility.

If you know you're moving anyway, why not get the guaranteed money and a say in where you go (or don't go)?

Hmm, great point.

This could definitely something we see more in the future, can't really see it in this case but who knows? I honestly expect us to make at least two deals that will have an impact on our team

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.