The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Higgins re-signs for 4 years, $2.5M per

Believe he's the one who said Higgy had an infection last yr as well - well before the public knew.

I don't like the term or limited NTC, but like the cap hit. 4 yrs for another 30 yr old is not my idea of a great contract. He's a great versatile player, but his underlying numbers have fallen through the floor this yr. They're really bad.

Higgins has earned every bit of a 4 year 10 million deal, if this turns out to be true (it was still April 1st when it was posted afterall).

You know what you're getting with Higgins, and that's 100% all the time, with tenacious puck pursuit and great hockey intelligence.

No brainer.

MayRay's next. Same deal.

I am aware what a limited NTC is. My point is that the player being able to limit the trading partners ALWAYS means more when the time that you want to trade the guy comes. Higgins is not a guy you give a NTC of any kind to imo.

For all you guys saying it is not a big deal, you need to re-think that. The market for trading players is small enough in a cap environment.

I like Higgins but 4 yrs is too long and I'd like more detail on just how limited the trade clause is.

Seems to me that the "window" is at max the next 2 years, and it would be a shame to not be able to trade him to the right team for future up and comers

I am aware what a limited NTC is. My point is that the player being able to limit the trading partners ALWAYS means more when the time that you want to trade the guy comes. Higgins is not a guy you give a NTC of any kind to imo.

For all you guys saying it is not a big deal, you need to re-think that. The market for trading players is small enough in a cap environment.

Do you know how many times he has been traded in his career?

My point is that if this is what the Canucks think is a core player than we are in very big trouble. I LOVE his work ethic and his effort but he is a support guy on a team. Support guys are supposed to be the easiest ones to change when things have to be changed.

I think this team will need to do a rebuild before 4 years are up and trading guys like Higgins off will be a big part of that.

Archived