181 replies to this topic

#61 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:23 AM

Posted in a thread about a guy he traded for.

Ya, two years ago wasn't it?

Pahlsson (you know the same Pahlsson who sounded pissed about even being traded here)
Hodgson for Kassian

In two years?

Plus Ballard, Luongo, etc. sitting here eating cap space an not playing when the team needs obvious help?

Wow ya don't work the phones too hard there Gillis.

Honestly, someone mentioned him waiting for the right trade........there is an old saying in business. I am paraphrasing a bit here but something along the lines of a good opportunity today is often better than waiting for the perfect opportunity tomorrow. My old advanced economics professor would have described Gillis' trading "patience" as the definition of opportunity cost.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 02 April 2013 - 01:24 AM.

#62 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,364 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:26 AM

I really hope Gillis proves me wrong......

#63 OurTimeToShine

OurTimeToShine

Otis

• Members
  • 11,677 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:27 AM

Pahlsson (you know the same Pahlsson who sounded pissed about even being traded here)
Hodgson for Kassian

In two years?

Plus Ballard, Luongo, etc. sitting here eating cap space an not playing when the team needs obvious help?

Honestly, someone mentioned him waiting for the right trade........there is an old saying in business. I am paraphrasing a bit here but something along the lines of a good opportunity today is often better than waiting for the perfect opportunity tomorrow. My old advanced economics professor would have described Gillis' trading "patience" as the definition of opportunity cost.

Agree completely with most of this, I am a huge fan of what MG has done in the UFA market but all of his trades, spare Ehrhoff and Higgins haven't panned our for us. Without adding a top-9 upgrade and an offensive dman this deadline will be a failure.

Posted Image

Thanks -Vintage Canuck-!!!

#64 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:28 AM

I really hope Gillis proves me wrong......

I think we all hope you are wrong, as I am sure you do too.

Just as I hope my suggestion that this may actually increase the likelihood Higgins gets moved is wrong too.

We all want to see a change.... one we can really hope for. Does Obama play hockey? :lol:

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#65 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:29 AM

That's nice and all but I hope we add something in the next 24+ hours or we're gonna have a hell of a time making another playoff run.

Sig too big. -SN

#66 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

Hodgson for Kassian

In two years?

Who says there was a good opportunity to begin with?

Sig too big. -SN

#67 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

This re-signing preety much ends Raymonds time here. Jensen looked really good and nhl ready on his debut, he could replace Raymond next year.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Jensen - Kesler - Kassian
Hggins - _____ - Hansen
Sestito - Lappiere - Weise

What game were you watching? Jensen was almost invisible, as was a good portion of our team... I recall him making one good defensive play to deflect a pass, and that's about it. Jensen could very well be NHL-ready next season, who knows. But I wouldn't say "Jensen's gonna replace Raymond" based off of one game.

abl8vt.jpg

#68 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,364 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:32 AM

Does Obama play hockey? :lol:

Only when he needs to get the hockey vote.

#69 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

Hmm, great point.

This could definitely something we see more in the future, can't really see it in this case but who knows? I honestly expect us to make at least two deals that will have an impact on our team

I actually think we will see more of this in the 'new' NHL.

There might be a couple of them tomorrow or Wednesday but there might be a few of them before July 1st.

If the player.... especially.... knows which team he is being dealt to then why not negotiate with the GM you already know rather than taking a chance on a new dynamic? Also, from a player's perspective, once the ink is dry you will know that the team trading for you actually really wants you. Having the LNTC just gives you a little more meat on the bones.

And to answer your earlier question, the Sens signed and traded Hossa on 08/23/05

Edited by theminister, 02 April 2013 - 01:35 AM.

#70 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:36 AM

Only when he needs to get the hockey vote.

Yeah, I have about the same vote of confidence in MG right about now.

#71 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,364 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:37 AM

Who says there was a good opportunity to begin with?

That is the funny thing about "opportunity". If everyone offers you a similar opportunity over a long period of time, that is as good as it will likely get. At that point the issue is not with the opportunity itself but with your perception of it.

So in terms of a trade, you really believe that there has been no "good" opportunity ever presented for Luongo, Ballard, etc. that would have made our team better, improved our cap situation, filled holes in our roster, etc.?

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 02 April 2013 - 01:39 AM.

#72 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,572 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:39 AM

What young talent?? :shock:

Jensen, Kassian, Schroeder? Gaunce in a few years?

zackass.png

#73 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:40 AM

That is the funny thing about "opportunity". If everyone offers you a similar opportunity over a long period of time, that is as good as it will likely get. At that point the issue is not with the opportunity itself but with your perception of it.

So in terms of a trade, you really believe that there has been no "good" opportunity ever presented for any Canuck player that would have made our team better, improved our cap situation, filled holes in our roster, etc.?

What did Rush say?

"Even if you chose not to decide you still have made a choice?"

/ Although I think the Taoist's put it best.... Wu-Wei. Action through inaction.

#74 OurTimeToShine

OurTimeToShine

Otis

• Members
  • 11,677 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:46 AM

I actually think we will see more of this in the 'new' NHL.

There might be a couple of them tomorrow or Wednesday but there might be a few of them before July 1st.

If the player.... especially.... knows which team he is being dealt to then why not negotiate with the GM you already know rather than taking a chance on a new dynamic? Also, from a player's perspective, once the ink is dry you will know that the team trading for you actually really wants you. Having the LNTC just gives you a little more meat on the bones.

And to answer your earlier question, the Sens signed and traded Hossa on 08/23/05

It is definitely an interesting option for teams considering all the changes in the CBA, it may be even more intriguing for players like you've stated as guys want a sense of security. It seems lately teams would rather trade for guys with no term on the contract oppopsed to having guys that are locked up. I think this will change after teams start to get more of a feel of how the new CBA will work.

Ah interesting, thanks man.

Posted Image

#75 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:17 AM

I would be quite devastated if it was a sign and trade. Higgins deserves to be on this team if he wants to. Great player.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#76 OurTimeToShine

OurTimeToShine

Otis

• Members
  • 11,677 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:19 AM

I would be quite devastated if it was a sign and trade. Higgins deserves to be on this team if he wants to. Great player.

Deserves?

It's a business bud, if we could by chance improve our team by signing and trading Higgins I'd expect us to do it.

Posted Image

#77 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,364 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:26 AM

Deserves?

It's a business bud, if we could by chance improve our team by signing and trading Higgins I'd expect us to do it.

MG: "Ya Shero, what do you want?"

Shero: "Higgins......and I only want to give up Crosby and his busted chiklets."

MG: "Sorry Ray, no can do. He deserves to be on our team. And that NTC thing gives him the right to say no to Pittsburgh."

Shero: "I understand Mike. Look, I have to go, I am going to go pick up Iginla for a song."

MG: "No problem, maybe we can talk again in the summer."

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 02 April 2013 - 02:28 AM.

#78 OurTimeToShine

OurTimeToShine

Otis

• Members
  • 11,677 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:31 AM

MG: "Ya Shero, what do you want?"

Shero: "Higgins......and I only want to give up Crosby and his busted chiklets."

MG: "Sorry Ray, no can do. He deserves to be on our team. And that NTC thing gives him the right to say no to Pittsburgh."

Shero: "I understand Mike. Look, I have to go, I am going to go pick up Iginla for a song."

MG: "No problem, maybe we can talk again in the summer."

:lol:

Posted Image

#79 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,364 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:32 AM

What did Rush say?

"Even if you chose not to decide you still have made a choice?"

/ Although I think the Taoist's put it best.... Wu-Wei. Action through inaction.

Gillis needs this written on his forehead.......actually we should tattoo it so it doesn't sweat right off.

#80 Cobra!

Cobra!

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:34 AM

Good price, bad term. LNTC ain't too big of a deal, but this has potential to screw us just because of the term and a small probability of screwing us with the NTC. Hate to bring the negativity, but Gillis doesn't seem to have a fantastic track record when it comes to signing deals. You could argue good deals for Sedins and Burr, but something tells me those are gimmes. All 3 of those players are extremely humble and love the city of Vancouver. Not too hard of a sell for GMMG.

#81 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:41 AM

Higgins can be replaced via UFA for cheaper. Bad $ and bad term, again. And an NTC on top of that, even if its limitied it's non sense.

#82 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

i dont mind the term, but if we are giving him 4 years, and a limited ntc i would have hoped for a cap hit of 2m per or maybe even a little less. But I will take Higgins at 2.5m over david jones at 4m anyday of the week

#83 Gally

Gally

KJ's Butler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

Good deal I like it.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

my mom wouldn't let me touch the laptop because I have to stand after I eat....kinda stupid

#84 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,875 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

His game will probably tail off after next season - 4 years will be brutal and hurt this club badly.

2 year deal max.
Posted Image

#85 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

Higgins can be replaced via UFA for cheaper. Bad $ and bad term, again. And an NTC on top of that, even if its limitied it's non sense.

replaced via UFA? for cheaper? the UFA for forwards this year is going to be brutal. especially for 3rd line C. Cooke and Torres would be the only ones that come to mind.

2.5 for a 3rd line winger is ok.

#86 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

Eff the haters, I'd be happy if Higgy got 5 years.

#87 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,022 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

I am aware what a limited NTC is. My point is that the player being able to limit the trading partners ALWAYS means more when the time that you want to trade the guy comes. Higgins is not a guy you give a NTC of any kind to imo.

For all you guys saying it is not a big deal, you need to re-think that. The market for trading players is small enough in a cap environment.

I agree 100%. Yet another NTC, or LNTC handed out is absolutely ridiculous. Especially to a 3rd line player when we are deprived of skill up front, no matter what MG believes he brings to the table. Never give guys like that NTC's. It's turning into a country club. This team is going to be incapable of making a single move in a couple years time. 4 years is also a bit long.

I have to think Raymond is gone in this case. If MG doesn't trade him at the dealine here for something tangible I think my acceptance of his tenure will turn sour.

Dammit, I will have to move out of Calgary in a couple years or at least change my friends so they can't repay all the laughing I did at them as they struggled through NTC's on a team with no talent. Hmmmm, it doesn't look good.

Edited by Dogbyte, 02 April 2013 - 07:58 AM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#88 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,022 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

A versatile player like Higgins will always be in demand, especially at 2.5 mil. I'm not worried in the slightest.

And I'm sure Gillis could find a trade out of 10 teams if it came down to it.

Yeah but this versatility is killing us. This pretty much guarantees were going to see Higgins spread all over the top 6 again for the next four years. Where does Kassian play, where does Jensen play, where does the talented goalscoring difference maker play that MG should be bringing in instead of signing Higgins and Raymond for $5 plus. We already have Hansen who provides great play on the third line.

MG would rather have 3rd line depth than proper second line options. I'm not happy with the continued mediocrity.

Edited by Dogbyte, 02 April 2013 - 07:59 AM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#89 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

Hopefully this gets officially announced soon..... Really like this signing.
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#90 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

I wonder if Lapierre will be getting an extension shortly after. He has pretty much done exactly what AV has asked of him, even more so with the loss of Manny..
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.