The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Higgins re-signs for 4 years, $2.5M per

If this is true, I wonder what it'll mean for Raymond's future here... if we can move out Luongo, and buyout/trade Ballard and Booth, then it's no problem to re-sign him but there's no guarantee of all that. If Higgins gets $2.5m, I think Raymond will command around $3m+ on a multi-year deal. It's not ridiculous to think a team would offer that much or more on the open market.

how come we can give Higgins a 4 year deal meanwhile we couldn't of gave Torres a 2 year deal for 1.75 million?

But oh wells. If we can get gaborik or pominville or another top 6 to play with the sedins we could have

Sedins-Gaborik

Higgins-Kesler-Burr

Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen

Pinizzotto-Lapierre-Kassian

Or

Sedins-Burr

Raymond-Kesler-Pominville

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen

Pinizzotto-Lapierre-Kassian

I am aware what a limited NTC is. My point is that the player being able to limit the trading partners ALWAYS means more when the time that you want to trade the guy comes. Higgins is not a guy you give a NTC of any kind to imo.

For all you guys saying it is not a big deal, you need to re-think that. The market for trading players is small enough in a cap environment.

Just throwing it out there... possibly a sign and trade?

This time of year, if MG knew that a team was interested in Higgins at that price, getting him inked would raise his value far above what he would be worth as a pending UFA. Isn't this what they've been saying about Clowe?

Just thought I'd put that out there.

This re-signing preety much ends Raymonds time here. Jensen looked really good and nhl ready on his debut, he could replace Raymond next year.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Jensen - Kesler - Kassian

Hggins - _____ - Hansen

Sestito - Lappiere - Weise

This time of year, if MG knew that a team was interested in Higgins at that price, getting him inked would raise his value far above what he would be worth as a pending UFA. Isn't this what they've been saying about Clowe?

I personally don't think this will be the only contract signed tomorrow.

Higgins is loved by the guys in the locker room so it totally makes sense he would get re-signed. Getting the "popular" players signed helps get other players to stick around.

I believe Lapierre has outplayed his original contract as well with the team and at 28 years old Gillis will love to get him to a contract of somewhere around the same term length. Lappy loves the city and met his fiance here shortly after signing, I am expecting him to receive somewhere in the range of 4yr/5M contract and it would be fitting that he signs the contract around the same time as Higgins as they came here together, and have both played their parts perfectly.

Raymond on the other hand is an interesting storyline. I personally think he has earned a nice new contract but I have a feeling that he wants more than the canucks can comfortably give him with our cap situation, and therefore will be traded tomorrow/wednesday. In the past it seemed that Gillis did not discuss contracts with his players during the season to keep from distraction but with a. the teams lackluster play and b. the salary cap situation next year, he has his hands tied and needs to get some of this done beforehand so summer isn't such a cluster****.

Tanev I don't see as having had discussions for a contract yet but I may be wrong, His RFA status allows gillis to work on more pressing manners for now., but I expect him signed shortly after the playoffs.

I can't think of one off of the top of my head but the times, they are a changin'.

It's a totally different landscape today.

Imagine a player knows he is headed to UFA in this lowered Cap reality, and has discussed his perceived value with his agent. If offered that amount for a multiyear deal, where you also had some veto power regarding where you go, then I could see that being a real possibility.

If you know you're moving anyway, why not get the guaranteed money and a say in where you go (or don't go)?

Archived