The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Derek Roy to VAN

Like everyone else has been saying, I'd only would've traded our 3rd round pick + a prospect for Roy, a bit all too expensive but I hope he fixes our desperately needed centre positions.

If he resigns for at least 4.5m /5yrs would be awesome no?

What's with the Connautton love? The guy can't play defence for his life, no way was he gonna crack this roster anytime soon. Not to mention Corrado and possibly Andersson has arguably already surpassed him.

I like this move getting Roy. He has in the past with Buffalo been a point per game player for a couple of seasons. He wont replace Kesler but is a far better upgrade at centre that havn Burrows play at centre. Time will tell if he pans out but giving up really nothing but a 2nd round pick and a prospect who has never played a NHL game the risk is worth it.

A good trade for both parties. Roy wasn't going to re-sign in Dallas as they don't have they money to spend up to the cap, nor will they have a team competitive enough to challenge for a cup before Roy retires. Dallas gets a 2nd round pick in a deep draft and prospect with half decent potential.

Vancouver gets one of the best centers on the market (next to Ribeiro). Roy is a terrific offensive talent and takes the pressure off Kesler to do everything himself on the second line. And if their line gets shut down during the playoffs, putting Roy or Kesler on the third line spreads the talent/scoring out. This is a great pickup by the Canucks.

As for re-signing Roy, there is the potential for this to happen as well. At this point in his career, Roy obviously would like a shot at the cup, and may take a slight paycut to stay on a competitive team over the next 4 years to do so. If the Canucks were to offer $4.5-$5M per season, I could see him taking that offer. The Canucks could free up the cap space with the Luongo trade, as well as buying out one (or both) of Ballard and Booth. Great move by Gillis.

Archived