The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Derek Roy to VAN

Really, we traded for a peek at what Schroeder's long-term upside is. Roy hasn't done anything in the playoffs since the 'no defense' 2005-06 season.

However, at the moment it looks like we acquired the best center available. (Until Ribs is put on the table, that is.) And the prayer is that this takes pressure off of SuperKesler. If Kesler doesn't come back in God mode, then this is a waste of time trade. It is what it is.

Connauton was turning into a bust! The minute they signed Garrsion his days were numbered here. He is a C level prospect at best now. Roy playing with the right wingers will put up points on this team. Basically a second round pick for a rental who may resign, ill take it!

I'm liking what I've seen out of Schroeder. He's filled in admirably if not stunningly this year. He's certainly got a future but I'm not convinced he's the answer for the third especially heading in to the playoffs. He's responsible defensively but his size is going to be an issue when the games get more intense.

Roy does not address that issue either. THAT is my major issue with this trade. I'm glad Gillis filled a gaping hole at centre. I'm glad we might have a guy that can dish the puck to Kesler and Raymond/Hansen/Kassian/Booth. I'm disappointed we still don't really have a 3C.

It's not a bad trade, it's just not a GREAT trade. It's "merely" a necessary one.

meh.

If Roy is a rental the price was a bit too high.

Not too sad to lose KC as the team already has too many d-men signed to NTC anyway.

Roy is a bit small, but fiesty and a good passer.

I don't think the nucks are going far this year anyway, so hopefuly they can sign him to a reasonable amount-given the cap is going down big time next year it is most likely a rental.

I don't know why so many people think we overpaid. Roy has 6 points (2G, 4A) in his last 5 games and 22 points on the year. Connauton hasn't exactly been lighting it up in Chicago lately anyways. I think this was a great trade! Maybe not as good as the Iginla deal but hey, beggars can't be choosers....

At least it's only Connauton and not Jensen or Corrado. He wasn't going to get a shot with this team any time soon anyways.

I would have preferred the 2nd be a 3rd, but whatever. Kesler likes to shoot, and Roy likes to pass. Actually, most of the players we plug into the 2nd line like to shoot. It'll be good to have a playmaker.

Whether this is a fair trade or not all depends on whether we keep him after this season or not though. I'm not a fan of rentals, but if MG can get him to stick around for a reasonable price without giving him a NTC I'd say the trade is a wash.

Time will tell.

We all know MG and crew don't want rentals. I can't see them doing this if they didn't think they had a shot at keeping Roy past this season

this is a great trade for the team. everyone calls for a trade then craps there pants when connauton gets dealt? CONNAUTON?? who cares! i'm willing to bet the people calling this a bad trade haven't been watching the wolves a whole lot this year. connauton was losing his playing time to andersson. his defensive game hasn't improved enough.

the second round pick is a bit worrisome though. who knows who that could end up being.

edit: wish the pick was conditional based on him resigning.

Archived