The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Derek Roy to VAN

Well I'm disappointed.

I just don't see how it makes sense. The guy's a f-------g midget! I thought Gillis said we were getting BIGGER.

Also how do you justify giving away one of the hardest shots and biggest guys in the AHL AND a 2nd for what is basically a rental when Chicago gave a 4th for Handzus?

I know I wanted him to make a move but I didn't want him chuck resources away for a guy the other team didn't want in the first place.............AND he wants a damn fortune probably to stay.

If Gillis doesn't sign Roy then this is a FAIL. I like Roy but I like 2nd round picks in deep drafts more than rental players in seasons where we are soooooooooooo far from competing for the big prize. It's only a good trade if Roy wants to be here and signs a reasonable deal.

I'm just glad Gillis went the skill route in choosing Roy to fill the center position. With Canucks scoring struggle so far, Roy's offensive pass first mentality will help. As far as I know, the closest other option at center that we were close to acquiring was Boyd Gordon. Last year Gillis chose the Defensive route for the third line (Samuel Pahlsson). This year the need for more skill guys is high so it only makes sense to get the more skilled guy in Roy.

As for the people whining about what we gave up. We need to make a push for the cup NOW. Giving up a 2nd round pick and higher picks is not a big deal if it means we have a Stanley Cup push while the Sedins are not dramatically hitting the downfall. Giving up a first round is not what I'm saying though, losing a first rounder is a whole different story and that's something a team like Vancouver needs to hold on to. Kevin Connauton isn't one of the top defensive prospects we have. Sauve, Carrado, and Anderson are ranked higher in my opinion to crack the roster over him leaving him expendable.

Best part about this deal? I have Roy in my fantasy pool :P.

But great deal all in all. The 2nd is a non factor in this situation. Luongo trade will off-set it. We still have our 1st, and gained a legitimate 2C. Last year Gaustad (a solid 3C in his own right) fetched a 1st.

Kind of sad to see KConn go, but we're pretty set on the club with Hammer, Bieksa, Edler and Garrison all locked up long term.

Roy is a lot stronger on the defensive side than Cody Hodgson, definitely a lot skilled. So no, CoHo fans, can't compare that.

To those who wanna bash about trading Connauton away, this guy has fell in our prospects ladder. 2nd top dmen after corrado is andersson now. connauton gave up a lot of his offensive abilities to be a player who can play two way just so he can make the big league team but even in his own words this veteran defensemen group is too hard to break into

Well I'm disappointed.

I just don't see how it makes sense. The guy's a f-------g midget! I thought Gillis said we were getting BIGGER.

Also how do you justify giving away one of the hardest shots and biggest guys in the AHL AND a 2nd for what is basically a rental when Chicago gave a 4th for Handzus?

I know I wanted him to make a move but I didn't want him chuck resources away for a guy the other team didn't want in the first place.............AND he wants a damn fortune probably to stay.

Best part about this deal? I have Roy in my fantasy pool :P.

But great deal all in all. The 2nd is a non factor in this situation. Luongo trade will off-set it. We still have our 1st, and gained a legitimate 2C. Last year Gaustad (a solid 3C in his own right) fetched a 1st.

Kind of sad to see KConn go, but we're pretty set on the club with Hammer, Bieksa, Edler and Garrison all locked up long term.

Well I'm disappointed.

You are so missing the big picture here.

The team got better for a gamble that the 2nd may pan out. Connauton was a long shot. The team got better.... I repeat.... the team got better.

Roy will be a compounding effect on the players we have. Whoever lines up with him will get substantially more and better scoring chances. That's a much bigger need for our team than size.

Well I'm disappointed.

Handzus for a 4th was a much, much worse deal. Handzus is a marginal 4th liner. There's no comparison to be made. I'd consider Handzus as a winger for Lappy on the 4th line if he were on waivers.

Otherwise, you're obsessing over size. Roy is a BIG talent.

People who are mad about Connauton leaving clearly don't watch him play. His potential has likely peaked, and it's unlikely he ever becomes a full time NHLer. It's good to get something for him while he still has value.

Obviously it sucks to give up a 2nd round pick, but you gotta give up something to get something of value. And with our track record of 2nd round picks (Sauve, Rodin, Mallet), we're likely not giving up that much.

I have a feeling we'll get at least that pick, if not a 1st in a Luongo trade anyways. That's what makes this deal easier to make for Gillis.

Archived