The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Derek Roy to VAN

This deal is such a steal by Gillis.

He has a bit better playoff stats than Jason Pominville. He's also a year younger and has had a better career year.

Also we needed a Center in a bad way. All we had to pay was a 2nd round pick and a prospect who wasn't getting a sniff in AV's line-up. We keep our first rounder and we get a top-6 playmaking center with a great attitude.

Roy's going to like it here like every other player does. That will make it easier to sign him to a 4-5 year deal.

The success of this team will solely depend on the Sedins and Kesler tbh

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Roy - Hansen

Seems to be the line-up going forward.. Booth on the 4th with Lappy and Weise if he ever comes back, in the meantime probably Sestito or some other plug.. Kesler and the Sedins will have to step up or we will not be going deep at all. I feel like we can definitely rely on Burrows/Raymond/Hansen/Roy/Kassian/Higgins to score what they need too. If the Sedins and Kesler don't produce though, that's when we lose. Kassian has to show up big time too. Cause in reality, he'll probably end up playing with the Sedins while Burrows slots with Kesler as a sort of shut-down line with Raymond.

I like at his trade mainly cause we get to see if Roy will work out, if it does Gillis will find a way to keep him around if not they May flip him to a team wanting to talk contract with him.

KConn. Had to go. Corrado has surpassed him on the D chart. And unless he magically became a Rt.D our depth has him on the out side looking in.

I hope they try Jensen with Roy.

Im trying to understand why I've read in this thread that he he's injury prone :sadno: 1 season under 70 games, and in that he had 35 points in 35 games.

He has 449 points in 579 games - In comparison, Pominville has 456 in 578, and went for a 1st, 2nd, and 2 prospects.

Why does everyone have to be a debby downer. We needed a centre, Gillis adressed it.

That's genius C S, except that you just added cap hit when you need to be subtracting it.

Not only that, but if you're looking to gamble and take the risk to go over the top now - what you're adding in Myers is not an upgrade over Edler - he may be a better asset in the future, but right now he's a struggling young blueliner who is not an instant "over the top" solution.

The point of taking a quality young RFAs like Frattin/Franson is that you get a solid roster player who can contribute now, perhaps as much as is presumed by a 'big' name - and they add value going forward, they gain cap space, and options of adding elsewhere as opposed to subtracting. That imo is a net game, not an ill-advised gamble.

Adding RFAs and futures enables MG to use futures to acquire other quality young ELC/RFA players who can contribute without spending the existing assets and picks in hand that allow the Canucks to continue to retool their system with prospects.

What you are suggesting has the implication that you are going to have to subtract a couple other players - and have very little cap left to fill all the exiting UFA spots - there are 7 remaining UFAs on the active roster, 12 in the system, and 4 RFAs on the active roster and 12 in the system. You haven't added futures, you haven't created cap space, and you've significantly reduced the options moving forward.

Not only that, but I don't buy into this fad of believing in single players who will "put you over the top".

People like the machismo of the all-in mentality, until the aftermath.

Spending a great deal to get Pominville has another cost - which is losing other players in the offseason - you can fairly safely say goodbye to Roy if you were to acquire Pominville - which also means the loss of assets spent for Roy. I'd rather the prospect of re-signing a quality center like Roy than spending a great deal more to acquire another small winger.

We're not looking to become the Buffalo Sabres.

I obviously think more highly of a young player like Frattin than you do. He has shown an excellent nose for the net - (precisely what people seem to think the Canucks could use), he has his share of grit, good skater who can score on the rush, and he's a low risk addition.

That's the way to go. We added a big piece in Roy. Now add some moderate pieces and have faith in your core, which is also about to add from within in a couple key healthy returning players.

Im trying to understand why I've read in this thread that he he's injury prone :sadno: 1 season under 70 games, and in that he had 35 points in 35 games.

He has 449 points in 579 games - In comparison, Pominville has 456 in 578, and went for a 1st, 2nd, and 2 prospects.

Why does everyone have to be a debby downer. We needed a centre, Gillis adressed it.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Kesler - Hansen

Booth - Roy - Higgins

Lapierre - Schroeder - Kassian

That's a damn good forward group if you ask me

I can't believe some people still want Gillis' head....

He's done a pretty good job managing this team while still building a future.

Most people on here just want Luongo gone, but just wait and see when Gillis acquires something amazing in the offseason and realize how spoiled you are.

Also the trade for Roy is a complete STEAL if we sign him.

Some of you fans are just the worst... <_<

Some teams are in a hole and didn't make a trade at all.

Be fkn happy.

Question - why are so many dead certain that Roy is a rental?

Higgins, Lappierre, and Alberts are still with us. Is this fanbase so narcissistic to think that players won't wish to continue playing for the team?

Wouldn't a player who's been through three teams over two trade deadlines be looking for a home?

( ok yeah that was 3 questions)

Question - why are so many dead certain that Roy is a rental?

Higgins, Lappierre, and Alberts are still with us. Is this fanbase so narcissistic to think that players won't wish to continue playing for the team?

Wouldn't a player who's been through three teams over two trade deadlines be looking for a home?

( ok yeah that was 3 questions)

Archived