The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Derek Roy to VAN

Terrible trade! An undersized UFA, at the end of his contract, for our best D prospect and a 2nd in a deep draft? Total fail. We're not exactly deep on prospects, and we just gave up two more for a 2 month rental

Going to say this. The Roy deal smells like one which the Canucks could utilize to put Kes at RW. Roy is small as crap but he is one hell of a set up man and for the sake of preserving longevity for Kes it makes sense to move him to RW as he would be less likely to be injured

WITH A SECOND.

FOR A RENTAL?

The softest C this side of ribeiro. For a team looking for "toughness". Hodgson was much better defensively than Roy.

Roy better re-sign, and for cheap because he doesn't deserve a penny more than he makes now.

Connauton would not be making our roster for a long long time, his defensive abilities leave a lot to be desired. Fairly 1 dimensional defenceman.

This is a good trade, made even better if the Canucks have success in the post season and are able to re-sign to a reasonable term/dollar value.

I don't think Roy is looking for $7 mill a year, i think he wants term and with the ownership issues in Dallas, they didn't want to commit. Vancouver has deep pockets, 5 years $5 mill cap hit.

Kassian - Roy - Kesler helluva 2nd line if you ask me.

Meh, Connauton, who cares. He's never going anywhere in our system anyway. The second is too much IMO, unless he fits in here and MG can work the magic on him and sign him for a lot less than the $6+ mil a year he's reportedly looking for.

Funny to see kind of. MG finally cracks after the media abuse and gets us the rental he hates doing. I don't think he could stand the criticism on taking 2 years to find a center and had to do something.

I like the guy as a player though so I'll be happy to see him play at least. He's feisty, he can pass, and plays with a bit of grit. All things we needed.He might even get a game or two in at second line center until Kes is back.

Great trade, thank you gillis for getting what we needed without giving up a 1st in a deep draft

Not speaking for anyone else but Roy is just "meh" IMO. Another small'ish 2nd 3rd line tweener. He's a band aid.

I was hoping for something more substantial and long term. Either a true top 6 playmaker or a bigger/meaner Ott-esque 3rd C.

He fill a much needed to be filled hole but ..."meh"

Now i know that K-Con's upside will be undersold now, of course, but the fact of the matter is our player development is USELESS when we trade these guys before they pan out. And a 2nd rounder in this upcoming draft is fairly valueable as well.

Regardless of what Roy does for us, if Kesler doesn't return to God mode, this team is sunk.

Archived