Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Whether we want a sizable winger,
We'll need to move someone in OUR wing.

Our top 9 roster appears to be locked up already
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler/Roy (Booth)
Higgins - Schroeder/Roy - Hansen

You want Torres and or Clowe?
Then it would be a necessity to move one of our wingers.
QUOTE (Mexican_on-ice' pos='7078983 @ Apr 7 2009, 11:40 PM)
after we win the first round I think we should have a riot around the aquarium and for the second round a riot in chinatown ....................... What you think

QUOTE (Gunmonkey @ Jun 25 2009, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IBTL!!! can I say that on my own thread?

QUOTE (Patriotic_Bronucks @ Oct 4 2009, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LMFAO! Seems to me that this board is 75% retarted.

#392 Salo'sBomb

Salo'sBomb

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

POPULAR

Wow Kassian offered Roy his #9. Classy as hell. Roy declined but still, Kassian is a classy guy.

#393 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,104 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

Seems like a fair deal, sucks to give up Connauton but it's not like he's a top prospect. This could be very good if we manage to resign him for a fair price. We finally have the centre depth and the playmaker I was hoping for. He also has a sweet house:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMdEDt-B3O0

I saw that a few years back. That house is beyond wicked.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#394 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

We're not done, i hope. Getting Raffi back or acquiring some other bone-crusher would make me happy.
Posted Image

#395 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts

What ????????????????

I would have probably gave up on this year. 2nd is pretty steep for a rental this year but our drafting sucks anyway. At least this will give us some entertainment.

No offence but thank god you are not the GM then. We are tied with Minny in points and on the top half of a playoff spot. That is with a lot of injuries and forcing players (rookies included) to play roles that they are not ready for. We have not been the best team, but as long as we are in a playoff spot we shouldn't even think about giving up. Kesler is said to be on his way back soon and with this addition the team starts to look a lot better and a bit more threatening. Hopefully we can now have a few more scoring chances as the opposition may have to worry about 2 line instead of just shutting down the Sedins.....

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#396 Bill F-ing Murray

Bill F-ing Murray

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Because we know good players are good players even if they're merely average height? After all, Martin St Louis is an inch shorter than Roy...

And it's frankly just a myth that we're a small team. We currently only have 3 players listed under 6 feet - Ebbett, Schroeder, and Ballard. Since Schroeder (who's an inch shorter) was sent down to make room for Roy, our team isn't any shorter than it was before.

I couldn't find any more up-to-date stats, but according to James Mirtle's blog, as of the start of the season Vancouver was above average in height.

It's not the actual size of the players but it's the fact that the canucks play below there size like Oreo and such.

Posted Image

“Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians around 6,000 years ago, historians have cataloged over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities.

So next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say “Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…” If they say “Just God. I only believe in the one God,”

I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me.I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869.”

Ricky Gervais

#397 NZCanuck

NZCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

Wow Kassian offered Roy his #9. Classy as hell. Roy declined but still, Kassian is a classy guy.

Was about to post that and you beat me to it. Class move by Kassian.

#398 Gustavo Fring

Gustavo Fring

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:54 AM

Canucks have had one 2nd rounder that's made the NHL in the last decade. With your line of thinking, better not trade a 5th rounder because Benn was drafted in the 5th.

Deep draft says hi.
Posted Image

#399 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Source?

But good on Kass if that's true! If nothing else, he seems like a seriously nice guy and team player all the way!
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#400 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,116 posts

Canucks have had one 2nd rounder that's made the NHL in the last decade. With your line of thinking, better not trade a 5th rounder because Benn was drafted in the 5th.

I was coming here to say this.

While having more high picks in a good draft is important, which we may acquire in the offseason, Mason Raymond is the only 2nd round pick to be an NHLer in the last 15 years so it's not as if we gave away a definite player.

I've also never been a a fan of Connauton. I watched him progress through the Giants and Wolves for three seasons but he is terrible defensively, or at least would be at the NHL level, and he is a long shot to play more than 200 games in the Show. I don't see much loss there.

Roy has the potential to provide the Canucks with 3 solid scoring lines. The advantage to Roy, being +++ passer, is that it isn't just his production being added but the affect he may have on the other players in the line-up. He's been brought here to get more production out of the assets we already have. If he can do that then his overall affect on the team could be much larger than adding that big bodied winger. Secondary scoring has never not been an issue for this team.

I'm also not as concerned about his size. Though bigger and meaner is important to the playoffs so is puck control and offensive counter attack. I see Roy helping much more than he hurts.

The next major move for Gillis then in my mind is that we need a PP QB desperately. I agree with others saying that this trade for Roy makes less sense unless we address that issue too. If we don't get someone to run our PP then this trade was only a half measure.

Edited by theminister, 02 April 2013 - 11:56 AM.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#401 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,815 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

Roy on Team 1040 now. Roy says he'll likely go with #15 as that's available.

http://www.teamradio.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Derek_Roy_with_Sekeres_and_Price_Apr2nd.mp3

Vancouver Canucks@VanCanucks
Just in. Derek Roy will wear #15.

Edited by elvis15, 02 April 2013 - 01:43 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#402 Salo'sBomb

Salo'sBomb

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

Source?

But good on Kass if that's true! If nothing else, he seems like a seriously nice guy and team player all the way!

TEAM Radio@TEAM104010m

Roy: Kassian offered Roy the #9 jersey but he "won't take it because he's a good kid". Roy will still "pondering" between a few numbers

#403 SabreFan1

SabreFan1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

Before Roy was sent to Dallas last year from Buffalo, most Sabres fans here wanted him gone. He's softer than a wet noodle. I have to say though as far as rentals go this wasn't a bad pick-up for the 'nucks. He'll add some much needed scoring during the playoffs.

Whatever MG does, he should not hold onto him past this year!!

connormcdavid-small.jpg 

The Buffalo Sabres Choose With The First Pick In The 2015 NHL Draft.....

http://media.wgr550....51918/embed.htm

#404 ALTtimegreat

ALTtimegreat

Comets Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

2nd power play finally have a good centre

sedins- kesler

burrows-roy-kassian/hansen

#405 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,474 posts

I for one am very happy with the trade. We need a guy like Roy now, and hopefully we can hold on to him in the future as well. That depends on the outcome of this year and his own performance of course. But with how Gillis has treated the to-be free agent guys so far, I don't think he'll let go of him if the asking price is even a bit reasonable. I don't think this was a 'rental' deal in GMMG's point of view. We'll see.

Edited by Spoosh, 02 April 2013 - 11:57 AM.

© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#406 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

WITH A SECOND.

FOR A RENTAL?

The softest C this side of ribeiro. For a team looking for "toughness". Hodgson was much better defensively than Roy.

Roy better re-sign, and for cheap because he doesn't deserve a penny more than he makes now.

Is Roy a better pickup than Ribeiro?

Derek Roy is far better than Ribiero in all aspects of the game.

His corsi positive - he's 8th on Dallas - and he gets only 42% offensive zone starts, while producing 52.8% ozone finishes. All 7 of the guys with higher corsi numbers are over 50% ozone starts. Roy is also in the top half dozen of quality of competition he faces.
His faceoff percentage 46.7% is better than Ribiero's 42.6%, and Roy's is usually around 50% where Ribiero's is consistently bad. Ribiero is one of the worst two way players on Washington, has a negative relative corsi (20th at -6.59), gets 54.3% offensive zone starts, and faces a much weaker quality of competiton than Roy - (Roy +.354, Ribiero -.634, 16th on the Caps).

This is an outstanding deal imo. Was almost shocked that the price was so low.
Connauton has an expiring ELC, has not performed well, and is buried behind a very deep contingent of left handed blueliners on the Canucks roster.
A 2nd for Roy is a great deal. At his worst he's a 40-50 point player, at his average he's in the 70 pt range - and he's a good two way player. Funny all the complaints about his size - he's Hodgson sized but a far, far better two way player.

#407 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

TEAM Radio@TEAM104010m
Roy: Kassian offered Roy the #9 jersey but he "won't take it because he's a good kid". Roy will still "pondering" between a few numbers

Just took #15

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#408 viking mama

viking mama

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

Exactly. Re-sign him, and put Kesler on the wing where he belongs. Roy's playmaking ability is much better suited for centre, while Keslers speed and wrist shot works well on the wing. Kesler needs a player like this, not Booth who couldn't pass if his life depended on it.

Kesler didn't win the Selke Award for being a top-winger. As a centre-man AV takes advantage off Kes' face-off taking abilities & defensive play more affectively. And - who on the 'Nucks is better at goin' around or standing in front of the opposition's net & convertin' shots & rebounds? Kes does it all. Depends upon what is required.

Edited by viking mama, 02 April 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#409 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,748 posts

Derek Roy is far better than Ribiero in all aspects of the game.

His corsi positive - he's 8th on Dallas - and he gets only 42% offensive zone starts, while producing 52.8% ozone finishes. All 7 of the guys with higher corsi numbers are over 50% ozone starts. Roy is also in the top half dozen of quality of competition he faces.
His faceoff percentage 46.7% is better than Ribiero's 42.6%, and Roy's is usually around 50% where Ribiero's is consistently bad. Ribiero is one of the worst two way players on Washington, has a negative relative corsi (20th at -6.59), gets 54.3% offensive zone starts, and faces a much weaker quality of competiton than Roy - (Roy +.354, Ribiero -.634, 16th on the Caps).

This is an outstanding deal imo. Was almost shocked that the price was so low.
Connauton has an expiring ELC, has not performed well, and is buried behind a very deep contingent of left handed blueliners on the Canucks roster.
A 2nd for Roy is a great deal. At his worst he's a 40-50 point player, at his average he's in the 70 pt range - and he's a good two way player. Funny all the complaints about his size - he's Hodgson sized but a far, far better two way player.

Well said. After the regehr morrow j.Bo and now the jagr trade I'm SHOCKED Roy didn't fetch a 1st.

Dallas must be really high on k.Conn and the fact that rumors suggest roy wants 5.5 million plus must have been factors

2cz94w5.jpg

The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books. Go Canucks Go!

#410 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,127 posts

he'll be wearing Tom Fergus' old #15

#411 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,917 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

If the pick was conditional the trade would not be accepted by Dallas. There is a good chance Connauton will make no significant impact in the NhL.

Raymond for Clowe
4th pick for Torres
Luongo for Matthias, Howden, 2nd round pick
3rd and Rodin for Bishop

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Clowe Roy Kesler
Higgins Matthias Hansen
Torres Lapierre Kassian

I like it! If this all gets done, I think MG should hire you!
Posted Image

#412 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

The question that everyone wants answered: How is he in shootouts?
Posted Image

#413 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

Kesler didn't win the Selke Award for being a top-winger. As a centre-man AV takes advantage off Kes' defensive play more affectively. And - who else is better standing in front of the net & converting shots & rebounds - better than Kes. Kes really does it all...it depends upon what is required.

Kesler did put up 36 points in 41 games as a winger for the 'RPM' line (Sundin & Demo).

That's the nice thing about Kesler, he's versatile. I bet AV will have him playing some wing with Roy to test the waters and some center so the Canucks can ice 3 dangerous lines come playoffs.

It doesn't need to be one or the other, esp. with a coach like AV.

#414 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,699 posts

Can recover that 2nd easily in another deal.

This might be the best deal of the past week.

MG nailed it.

And this gives him better options if moving Luo - can take more futures and centers are a premium, so the Luongo negotiations just got that much more flexible.

#415 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,451 posts

Tanner Glass'

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#416 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

Can recover that 2nd easily in another deal.

This might be the best deal of the past week.

MG nailed it.

And this gives him better options if moving Luo - can take more futures and centers are a premium, so the Luongo negotiations just got that much more flexible.

You're fracking right about that!

#417 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

TEAM Radio@TEAM104010m

Thanks!

Good for Kass for offering! :towel:
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#418 Gustavo Fring

Gustavo Fring

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

Just because our drafting history has been shiet doesn't mean that the 2nd rounder will be a bust. Gillis has been on a roll lately by drafting jensen, gaunce and corrado.
Posted Image

#419 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

This move is gonna piss off all the competition who know what Roy is worth.

To put this in perspective folks, Roy was dealt to Dallas for Ott and Pardy.

Ott is ridiculously over-rated around here.

What Gillis just acquired for a 2nd is a player who has more value that Steve Ott.

#420 Dirt Nasty

Dirt Nasty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

Awesome pick up, 22 points already this year playing on dallas, hopefully he helps out with the teams lack of scoring.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.