875 replies to this topic

#511 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,734 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

Yep, I just posted the same thought. Kesler wouldcome back and take over Manny's responsibilities, which makes him the de-facto third line center on this team for the time being. I'm fine with that, if that's truly what GMMG is thinking. If this turns into an AV popcorn line maker fiasco, though, through April and whatever part of May we're still around for, then this is pretty risky stuff and an (albeit plug like) Handzus would have made more sense (where Kesler retains all of his 2nd line duties upon his return).

A few things about Handzus though - he's a 2.5 cap hit - which could effect other deals - and aside from his faceoff %, his underling numbers, beyond his utterly dismal point production, are just terrible.
SJ were fairly anxious to dump this guy for anything they could get - I was shocked they got a 4th.
There are a lot of guys I would much rather have. Goc, Gordon, Thompson to name a few.

#512 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,297 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

POPULAR

You can't whine for Gillis to upgrade our top 6 and then complain when he gives up a 2nd round pick to do it.

What did you expect us to get? Did you want us to trade a 1st round pick and two prospects for Jagr?

Top 6 forwards don't come cheap at the deadline. You can't trade a 4th round pick and Prab Rai and expect to get quality back.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#513 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

No, he'll spin it into another way to criticise Gillis. I lost patience with him a long time ago. Takes a lot of restraint just not to reply to his drivel.

He must be a Rangers supporter. They're like that.

/ SPL Hearts! EPL Newcastle.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#514 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • 24,554 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

Not a big fan of Roy. Maybe he will prove me wrong

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#515 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,732 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

Roy can play the point on the PP. We can potentially stack a powerplay.

Sedin Kesler Sedin

Roy Edler

#516 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,734 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

You can't whine for Gillis to upgrade our top 6 and then complain when he gives up a 2nd round pick to do it.

What did you expect us to get? Did you want us to trade a 1st round pick and two prospects for Jagr?

Top 6 forwards don't come cheap at the deadline. You can't trade a 4th round pick and Prab Rai and expect to get quality back.

"Are you talkin' to me?" :bigblush:

#517 viking mama

viking mama

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

I agree. They can't keep backing off and letting others (refs, the NHL, other teams) dictate their game for them. But I can also see that it's hard to play your game your way when you're penalized for everything (and sometimes for nothing) while some other teams seem to get away with almost anything. And it's impossible to play up to your potential when you're sitting in the press box because you're suspended for going for a puck as Hansen and Elder know all too well, even while players on other teams who made deliberate head hits never got so much as a "don't make me pull this rink over" look from Shanahan. The inconsistency has a lot of players lost, especially those on teams more likely to get punished with penalties or suspensions.

Even still, I agree completely with the spirit of that quote (even if it may be overstating it a bit in terms of hockey, when compared to what Washington faced..) They need to acknowledge that sometimes life (and hockey) isn't fair and that definitely sucks, but they still need to battle through the challenges. If it wasn't hard to earn the Cup, no one would want it. And you have to fill it with blood, sweat and tears before you even deserve to play for it.

Seriously! When will the un-justified consequences of Auger-gate ever end for our 'Nucks - eh? Apparently not very soon... judging by the applied skills of Shanny's team & O'Halloran's friends. Yet ...they continue to play the games so earnestly...building-up character as they move along. The fates won't be unkind to 'em...forever.

Edited by viking mama, 02 April 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#518 clutesi

clutesi

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

Handzus for a 4th was a much, much worse deal. Handzus is a marginal 4th liner. There's no comparison to be made. I'd consider Handzus as a winger for Lappy on the 4th line if he were on waivers.
Otherwise, you're obsessing over size. Roy is a BIG talent.

I honestly thought Roy was out of our price range, I'm impressed. Big improvement.

#519 Jagr68

Jagr68

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

I love this trade! Great improvement, Good luck in Dallas Connauton!

#520 rb4u

rb4u

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

Not a fan of the deal as I'm of the camp that this is our chance to reload (Ballard, MayRay) and restock the cupboards. That said, now that GMMG has given up part of the future for Roy, I would have been okay trading a 1st and more minor prospects for a game changer like Jagr (not Clowe). It's either all in or nothing at all. No sense in doing things half sh*t...

#521 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,734 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

I honestly thought Roy was out of our price range, I'm impressed. Big improvement.

yeah, I'm a bit shocked to be honest - did not expect Gillis to pull that off without giving up a primary prospect or pick.
I'm very impressed with all aspects of this deal, especially the price and the timing.

#522 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,428 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

With the Twins contract expiring in 2 years, I think the Canucks will go all in.

They sent down Ebbett and Barker which is not a big deal but it clears 2 roster space.
Gillman said we arnt done yet and are looking for a defenceman and a forward. Could that be Boyle and Clowe?! :bigblush:
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Clowe - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Roy - Hansen
Sestito - Lappiere - Weise

Hamhuis - Boyle
Edler - Bieksa
Garrison - Tanev

#523 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,734 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

I love this trade! Great improvement, Good luck in Dallas Connauton!

I hope it's a good opportunity for KC.
Aside from struggling this season, It had to be a little bit of a disincentive to see Garrison sign here - that pretty much gave the Canucks Hamhius, Edler, Garrison, Ballard, Alberts - all left handed guys (although Garrison is very adept switching sides) - but still, that's a steep climb to make the roster, with Bieksa and Tanev locked in on the right side.

#524 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,403 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

So is it true Roy will demand 5M a season to re-sign here?

Not a fan of rentals, and I thought MG said he wasn't either...

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#525 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,819 posts

There's no magic to it. He offers excessively long contracts and NTC's to everyone.

And of course no other GM does that... :rolleyes:

This d-day just got crazier...some guy tweeted Bos Brad Marchand traded to Vancouver for Tanev and a 3rd....stay tuned.

April Fool's was yesterday. Every other day of the year it's ok to trust tweets from 'some guy' though. :picard:

Sounds like he has lots of fun.... Wow what a house....

Actually, it sounds like he and/or his parents have 60 person orgies. How many beds for people to 'crash' does he need?

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#526 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,297 posts

Not a fan of the deal as I'm of the camp that this is our chance to reload (Ballard, MayRay) and restock the cupboards. That said, now that GMMG has given up part of the future for Roy, I would have been okay trading a 1st and more minor prospects for a game changer like Jagr (not Clowe). It's either all in or nothing at all. No sense in doing things half sh*t...

Roy is a game changer for this team. We needed a passing center, or else this team would continue to struggle offensively.

Adding another winger like Jagr would not have solved this teams problems. We need strength down the middle. And I would not be happy giving up a 1st for Jagr knowing that there's no chance of him re-signing.

Posted Image

#527 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,428 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

Jagr is like 40 years old, he might give you 12 productive games and might retire at the end of the season... and youre ok with giving away a 1st for him?

Clowe is like a decade younger, might not give you the scoring Jagr would but he has alot of intangibles. I'd rather give our 1st for a player than can play for us for 4-5 more years.

#528 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,819 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

@K_Nauts
Although my time actually spent in Vancouver was limited, I absolutely love that city! All the best to the @VanCanucks.
I appreciate all the tweets and messages. Excited to be joining the @DallasStars organization. Can't wait to get things started!
A special thanks to the @Chicago_Wolves for 2 great years. Loved every minute playing there and was able to meet some incredible people

Edited by elvis15, 02 April 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#529 Gustavo Fring

Gustavo Fring

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

Was ribeiro available? Ribs> roy imo.
Posted Image

#530 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,819 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

Not for Connauton and a 2nd he wasn't.

#531 Johnny_Drama

Johnny_Drama

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

Sure we could have traded 1st gaunce Tanev for him... He has been producing offensively this year and would not be cheap
"Victory!"

#532 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

Seriously! When will the un-justified consequences of Auger-gate ever end for our 'Nucks - eh? Apparently not very soon... judging by the applied skills of Shanny's team & O'Halloran's friends. Yet ...they continue to play the games so earnestly...building-up character as they move along. The fates won't be unkind to 'em...forever.

From your lips to the hockey gods' ears!
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#533 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,480 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

Mentor for Schroeder also! ::D

#534 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,297 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

He seems like a great guy. Unfortunately there just wasn't a place for him here in the next few years.

Good luck to him in Dallas. I enjoyed watching him beast it up for the Giants.

Posted Image

#535 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,348 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Good trade.

With Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, Edler, and Tanev - and Corrado looking fantastic - when exactly was K-Conn going to crack our roster?
Posted Image

#536 garthsbutcher

garthsbutcher

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

"part of our future" please dont tell me you are talking about Connaughton!!!! and the second round pick the way we draft is certainly not part of our future either. You would have liked though trading a first round pick for a 41 year old Jagr? thank god your not running the show.

#537 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

Connauton didn't develop his defensive game the way the Canucks wanted him too and he has been surpassed by Corrado as their best d prospect.

Roy apparently wants to cash in come free agency so he could be a pure rental and it's a risk giving up a 2nd rounder in a deep draft if he doesn't re-sign.

It's interesting how two similar teams in the Sharks and Canucks are going about the trade deadline. The Canucks still think they are a move or two away from being legit contenders again this year so they are buyers.

Meanwhile the Sharks are in the same situation as the Canucks yet they are selling and trying to reload and get younger.

Canucks still could use a top 4 d who can qb the power play.

Also if they don't trade Luongo tomorrow the goalie market is going to be totally over saturated in the summer to get any value for him.

If the Canucks wanna be legit contenders they need to make at least 1 more big move. This Roy trade alone doesn't make them Stanley Cup contenders.

Edited by Terry Crews, 02 April 2013 - 02:40 PM.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#538 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Yes!

Exactly what we needed, an experienced playmaking centre.

Thank you, Gillis.

#539 prana16

prana16

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

Going to say this. The Roy deal smells like one which the Canucks could utilize to put Kes at RW. Roy is small as crap but he is one hell of a set up man and for the sake of preserving longevity for Kes it makes sense to move him to RW as he would be less likely to be injured

if they were going to move kes to the wing.. then maybe we should have kept hodgson with as many points as the twins rather than give up prospects and picks for a small expensive center with 4 goals. .. I'm about done with GMMG.

#540 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,819 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

He seems like a great guy. Unfortunately there just wasn't a place for him here in the next few years.

Good luck to him in Dallas. I enjoyed watching him beast it up for the Giants.

It certainly wasn't a question of character, he was a great team guy. It was that his offence wasn't outweighing his defensive liabilities enough to be at an NHL level quite yet. Both had improved, and could still improve more, but we had to give something to get Roy.

Good trade.

With Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, Edler, and Tanev - and Corrado looking fantastic - when exactly was K-Conn going to crack our roster?

I can see the point about Hamhuis, Garrison and Edler (I made it myself a few pages back), but Bieksa, Tanev, Corrado and Andersson? They all play the right side so weren't really competing with Connauton for a roster spot. He was an option in case of injuries, but not a major one and possibly replaceable with Sauve, Polasek and Price also in the system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.