The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Womens' Worlds

poetica

Anyone else watching the Womens' Worlds? The Canada/USA game tonight was awesome! (Canada won in a shootout after coming back from a 2 goal deficit late in the 3rd. Wickenheiser went out with an injury and will be re-evaluated tomorrow.)

I doubt it'll be as good, but Canada plays Switzerland tomorrow on TSN2 for anyone else interested.

Fantastic comeback by Team Canada, it really looked like they were down and out until the latter half of the 3rd... one of the more exciting finishes I've seen in recent memories. (But maybe that has something to do with the Canucks' recent play :P). Unfortunately the rest of the games won't be nearly as close, but the inevitable Canada-USA rematch in the Gold Medal game should be good. (although I'm not entirely sure if that's possible, given the format with both countries coming out of the same group - maybe somebody else knows better.)

It was a fantastic game. The skill level of those two teams has been upped even more since the Vancouver 2010 Games. A great character comeback by Canada. Their young players really carried the load

Already some upsets in the tourney - Russia beat Germany 4-0. Alexei Yashin is their GM and he has them geared towards medalling in Sochi. And Czech Republic beat Sweden. This is the CR's first time in the tournament, so it's a big win for them

by the way, what's the deal with the Canada jerseys?

They are in support of Livestrong. Will be auctioned off after the game to raise money for cancer research. Nike and Livestrong have both severed all ties with Lance Armstrong, so I think it's fine that Team Canada is donning the colours.

Women's hockey? Shouldn't this be in the cheesy joke thread?

Nope but that comment should

This is the 1st year maybe ever where I can say I didnt follow Women's hockey much this year.

Not sure who is new for Canada or the U.S. Did Finns or Swedes develop much more? Will Switzerland continue to grow?

Been so busy with work I havent seen a single second of it yet. Hopefully that will change before the medal rounds start.

This is the 1st year maybe ever where I can say I didnt follow Women's hockey much this year.

Not sure who is new for Canada or the U.S. Did Finns or Swedes develop much more? Will Switzerland continue to grow?

Been so busy with work I havent seen a single second of it yet. Hopefully that will change before the medal rounds start.

Canada has continued to develop young players like Wakefield, Bram, Rougeau, and Jenner. They also welcomed back veteran Sarah Vaillancourt who almost retired due to injuries. So far, the youth have been leading the team.

The US have added a lot of speed and skill with Kazmaier award winner Amanda Kessel (Phil's sister) and Megan Bozek. The Lamoureux twins continue to dominate as do older players like Julie Chu

The Swedes look like they haven't fed off the momentum of their historic silver in 2006. Disappointing but since their veterans retired, the next wave is not nearly as dominant

Finland looks good. Got outshot by the Americans today but only lost 4-2. Their goalie Noora Raty plays at U of Minnesota with Kessel and Bozek. They went 41-0 to win the NCAA championship and Raty was a Kazmaier finalist. She is their backbone.

Swiss got overrun 13-0 by us today. Outshot 75-15 or something like that. They're improving slowly. Some good players on that team.

The gap between #'s 1,2 and the rest is still wide. But #'s 3 onwards are really closing the gap between each other. That's a good step. Close the gap between the 2nd tiered nations first, and then set sights on Canada and the USA

Archived