The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Womens' Worlds

poetica

The biggest problem was that Canada let the US control the play for the first 2 periods. (And (wo)man, was that game physical!) But, if they get a gold medal rematch I would expect both teams to up their game even more. :towel:

The Canada/Finland game on Friday should give us a better idea of the quality of the other teams this year. The only lost by 2 to the Americans, so hopefully they'll hold their own against the Canadians as well. And I'm looking forward to seeing Russia play against the US or Canada. As mentioned above, they've made huge strides in women's hockey in advance of the Olympics there so we should be able to expect some good games out of them as well. The medal rounds should be awesome!

Canada has continued to develop young players like Wakefield, Bram, Rougeau, and Jenner. They also welcomed back veteran Sarah Vaillancourt who almost retired due to injuries. So far, the youth have been leading the team.

The US have added a lot of speed and skill with Kazmaier award winner Amanda Kessel (Phil's sister) and Megan Bozek. The Lamoureux twins continue to dominate as do older players like Julie Chu

The Swedes look like they haven't fed off the momentum of their historic silver in 2006. Disappointing but since their veterans retired, the next wave is not nearly as dominant

Finland looks good. Got outshot by the Americans today but only lost 4-2. Their goalie Noora Raty plays at U of Minnesota with Kessel and Bozek. They went 41-0 to win the NCAA championship and Raty was a Kazmaier finalist. She is their backbone.

Swiss got overrun 13-0 by us today. Outshot 75-15 or something like that. They're improving slowly. Some good players on that team.

The gap between #'s 1,2 and the rest is still wide. But #'s 3 onwards are really closing the gap between each other. That's a good step. Close the gap between the 2nd tiered nations first, and then set sights on Canada and the USA

So Canada is currently laying the beatdown on Finland.... is it bad that I silently cheer for the other teams a little bit? I mean, its nothing special when Canada steamrolls a team, and I just like rooting for the underdogs myself. Of course I always cheer for Canada against the USA, but when its any other team I always kinda hope that we'll see some goals go against us to make things a bit more challenging. :P

In the Can-Sui game, did Swiss have Schelling in net? 13 goals on 75 SOG sounds high with her in net.

The CWHL needs to embrace some overseas players more, get them into the league playing with North American level skill so they can develop more. University players just arent closing the gap enough. They end their Uni careers, go back to Europe & lose the edge.

Surprisingly, the Swiss chose to go with their backup instead of Schelling. Maybe they knew they were going to lose regardless and decided to rest her?? Either way, it was a confusing move. Schelling could have kept the score a bit more respectable imo.

So Canada is currently laying the beatdown on Finland.... is it bad that I silently cheer for the other teams a little bit? I mean, its nothing special when Canada steamrolls a team, and I just like rooting for the underdogs myself. Of course I always cheer for Canada against the USA, but when its any other team I always kinda hope that we'll see some goals go against us to make things a bit more challenging. :P

Don't worry I was cheering HARD for Finland. It was really discouraging to end up with an 8-0 win. We expect that when we play the Swiss of the Swedes but not Finland. They're #3 in the world and they should at least be able to get a few on us. They played well through 40 minutes. But it kinda came unglued in the 3rd.

Still work to be done. Progress is happening but I'm afraid that people might deem that it's not occurring fast enough. They'll want to cut the sport from the Olympics. If women's hockey gets cut, half the players will retire. No one wants to train only to play at Worlds. Olympics is what it's all about.

That being said, Ottawa set a new record for single-game attendance at a women's hockey game. It was a sellout at Scotiabank Place. So congrats Ottawa!

Surprisingly, the Swiss chose to go with their backup instead of Schelling. Maybe they knew they were going to lose regardless and decided to rest her?? Either way, it was a confusing move. Schelling could have kept the score a bit more respectable imo.

Congratulations to Team USA on their Gold.

Congrats to Team Canada on their silver.

Huge congrats to Team Russia, just a year out from hosting the Olympics winning a bronze.

Just a couple years ago, Russia was a literal after thought in womens hockey. It looked like Switzerland would be the next team to develop into a contender for medals. What a turn around. Solid work Alexei Yashin.

^ you're very knowledgeable about women's hockey and clearly are a huge supporter of the sport. that's great to see!

these events are not about who wins and who loses. it is more so about who plays well and what they quality of hockey is like.

between canada and the US the quality of hockey was incredible. it was edge-of-your-seat action and some of the goals and saves were jaw dropping. it is proof that women are capable of playing the game at a high level.

it was also great to see russia do so well. to see Alexei Yashin sobbing like a kid when they won the bronze was amazing. really shows how much this means to them. germany also had a good showing and it gives the sport something to work with. when the teams do well and when progress is shown, it encourages federations to continue supporting their women's hockey programs.

people seem to be giving women's hockey a chance...finally! they are being given funding and coaching and opportunities to improve. so the future is bring and the hard work of everyone involved is starting to pay off. still a long road ahead but so far so good.

congrats to all teams on a great tournament and to the city of Ottawa for being great hosts.

sad day. I hate seeing the Americans win. Just like when they beat us in the Juniors this year and 2 years ago. Great Rilvary, but USA is taking our game and sticking it to our faces, its pretty sad. I want us to destroy the American womens in Sochi. We can't keep getting losing like this.

Tough loss for the Canadians, but lets be honest, the Americans were clearly the better team. Sabados was the only reason that team Canada had a chance...

They didn't have an answer for Decker or Kessel all night and it showed with great goals by both of them. Also have to give the Yanks credit for basically shutting down MPP and the other talented Canadian forwards.

Looking forward to Sochi...

Archived