The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks need to get draft picks back?

Outsiders

I don't know about you guys but are Draft pool stinks... Maybe we should get draft picks only back for Luongo?? The Canucks need players of the future too. It's not like these players will play forever. Gillis please don't trade anymore draft picks.. This years draft is deep and today we just gave up a second rounded for a guy that might not even be here next year. I don't know am I right about this?

I don't know about you guys but are Draft pool stinks... Maybe we should get draft picks only back for Luongo?? The Canucks need players of the future too. It's not like these players will play forever. Gillis please don't trade anymore draft picks.. This years draft is deep and today we just gave up a second rounded for a guy that might not even be here next year. I don't know am I right about this?

Problem is, just because you tank for 5 years doesn't mean you're guaranteed a Cup. It isn't as simple as acquiring high picks. Chicago and Pittsburgh are two examples, but they also acquired players through free agency and at the deadline to help them on their Cup runs.

I'd much rather consistently compete and contend for the Cup the way the Canucks have been for the last 5 years than tank for 5 years, wait a few more for your players to develop before taking a couple of shots at the Cup.

The Sedins were acquired while we were tanking - they have been the kind of players that get you within shooting distance of Stanley. Unfortunately, they are no longer. This team needs to be recycled through the draft and rebuilt - that means moving these kind of assets before they all go the way of Luongo - if they haven't already. I can't think of a team right now that would put out 12.4 million for the Sedins' current production, and not many who would want to buy Kesler's proneness to injury.

Bottom feeding is how Edmonton, the Islanders each won five, and also how Chicago, Anaheim, Boston, Carolina, Florida - hell, pretty much everybody but Detroit got there. The core of this team was acquired when we were bottom feeding, too. You don't get both the 2nd and 3rd overall picks by fly fishing.

Anyone that thinks we should watch horrible hockey for 5 years for a chance to win the cup is not a hockey fan. Aside from this year, we have been a privileged fan base. This team has shown us some incredible hockey and has gone to great heights.

This has been a bad and unlucky season for the Nucks, but I think the Roy acquisition and the return of Kes will turn them around. I'm not suggesting that they will win the cup, but I think they will play well in the playoffs.

MG will have his work cut out for him this summer and will have to make some tough decisions. I am confident he will add/subtract players that will maintain the standard of play we are used to.

I do not want to see GM place full of idiots with bags over their heads.

Archived