The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Pomminville to wild

Massive overpayment on the Wild's behalf. A future star goalie in Hackett who's got great AHL numbers, Larsson who's looked promising, then a 1st and 2nd rounder? One forward shouldn't warrant that much. Gaborik was just had for way less, and he's a proven star who can break right back out at any stage of his career.

Everyone who's hating is just Jelly. Don't compare a team like Vancouver who is suppose to be contending now, to the Wild who are just starting to compete. So what if they overpaid Pominville? They can. Even after the deal, the Wild are in really good shape because the farm is still stacked.

Saying that they should have gotten someone else is ridiculous. They wanted Pominville. They had no use for Gaborik. Minnesota apparently wanted Vanek, now here's a chance for them so sign them both in 2 years. They'll easily have a leg up on anyone else, when Vanek is a UFA. Start with him playing college with the Gophers, and supposedly marrying the high school sweatheart.

Minny got fleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeced, this isn't gonna look good when they're out of the playoffs by the 2nd round and Pominville plays out his contract and leaves.

A first and a second alone is ridiculous then throw in 2 solid prospects. Props to Darcy Regier.

people ask me why I post here... I can now answer with; "have you seen how funny some of the posters are!?"

Oh where to begin?

Hackett... so far he's proving to be no better than the "other" prospect that is currently backing up Backstrom. Then you have to remember that the other back-up (Harding) is still with us (battling complications with MS.) And I'm guessing most of you don't know that the Wild already have their next goalie prospect coming next season (Johan Gustafsson) that is one of the top goalies in the Swedish Elite League (he just turned 21 years old.) So with Hackett... that's 1 starter, 1 back-up and 3 prospects... oh and only 1 goal to stand in front of.

Larsson... with how stocked the Wild are with forward prospects, it can afford to ship out one of the "lesser" good prospects (Coyle, Granlund and Zucker are all slated to be better with so far Coyle and Zucker proving to be better.)

1st round pick... so we gave up a mid to late 1st round pick this year. Oh that's right, we have a solid and deep core of prospects already, so we can afford to take the gamble on this pick being a solid player.

2nd round pick (next season)... let's see, if the Wild do good then we are talking a late 2nd rounder.. moving on.

Next.. everyone (writers) is saying that it was a hefty price, but they are still rating this move as a great move for the Wild. But what do they know when compared to the Armchair GMs that post here.

Last... Roy vs Pomin... come July 1st, who isn't a UFA if a new contract isn't signed before then? Pom. So of course the Nucks will give up less to get Roy... right now he's nothing more than a "rental" for a few months before possibly moving on. With Pom, he's still signed for next season.

Oh... and one other thing...

Wild Prospects after the deal >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 'Nuck Prosp.. wait... do the 'Nucks HAVE any prospects?

was pretty much what you expect for a player of his caliber. Pominville isnt a top scorer in the NHL but he is a great all around player. They gave up a lot but he will be an excellent player for them.

As the wild fan above me said, the wild fleeced san jose so badly the last few years they have prospects to burn. They have also drafted very well since they havent made the playoffs for a few years and hitting the jackpot in the summer doesnt hurt any either.

Nice to see the wild rivalry coming back was really getting sick of the chicago/boston story lines that the media has spewed on us.

here's a bit more about how the Wild are avoiding going over the cap (from Russo of the Star Tribune);

-- I have confirmed the Buffalo Sabres are picking up part of Pominville's $5.5 million salary and $5.3 million cap hit this season and next. The Wild right now is a little more than $100,000 from the cap ceiling, which is why the Wild's got to be careful with its callups. Plus you only get four (not including emergency recalls) the rest of the season.

If Buffalo wasn't picking up part of the salary, the Wild would be above the cap. Together with the webmaster of capgeek.com tonight, we went over numbers. He estimates that Buffalo must be picking up around $225,000 of Pominville's salary this year, which would translate to around $900,000 next year. The good news is in a daily cap world, you accrue cap space daily. Slowly but surely it should gain more cap space. If the Wild ever gets in a pickle though, I think the only way out of it would be to LTIR Josh Harding--

I had no idea that you could do that... but if you can, then it sounds like the Wild also received "cap room" from Buffalo in the deal

Archived