The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts on the deadline activity (or lack thereof) - ALL DISCUSSION HERE PLEASE

L'Orange

Its always the same CDC mess every trade deadline. I think the narrow-minded need to realize there are 28 other teams in the league and more than half of them were buyers. I honestly think we got one of the better deals at the end of the day.

I really think MG dropped the ball by not managing Luu's contract.  It will create a rift in the dressing room with a faction of players who will feel as though Luu has been slighted and these unspoken negative feelings will fester.  It's not a lack of talent that is holding us back, it's a lack of killer instinct.  I hope we can be the LA Kings of last year.

Who cares how much money is sitting on the bench in the playoffs...oh wait, it's $0,000,000.

Yes, it would have been nice to get more depth, but having two great goalies in a shortened season can only be a good thing from the golatending position's perspective. Yes, still some issues with defence, but they'll just have to deal with that.

My thoughts:

The Derek Roy trade

First order is obviously to say: "Hoorah! We filled our single most pressing need without losing anything that affects the team this year." You absolutely must give Gillis credit for that.

As for the value of this trade: Gillis was lazy about it. I'm fine with Connauton (cant spell... dont have to care anymore) going because this team's D is so hard to slot into. Ask Ballard. Tanev is so very lucky to have weaselled his way in there. The part that bothers me is a pick. Good prospect and a second for a UFA? Really Gillis? That pick should have been conditional -- that being either play-off success or him re-signing.

If Roy leaves, Gillis, you dropped the ball on this trade. You damned well better re-sign Roy.

The fact that Gillis did nothing else

Kind of makes the Roy trade's lack of condition for the pick seem a little more silly. Gillis, come on... do something. You need a plan. Standing pat is not a plan unless you are fortifying, which would include shedding bad contracts for replaceable players who are UFAs.

If the prices were so bad, you should have sold instead, seeing as you have no commitment to a deep run unless luck or a hot goaltender carries the team.

What other teams did

Some didn't do much. Some didn't need to, others probably did. The teams that actually matter are:

Pittsburg - mafia is involved. No questions asked.

Minnesota - Got equally stronger than us. Minnesota has been picking up speed; us, not so much.

Columbus - possibly a Dark Horse? Who knows...

L.A's defense got better, so that's a real pain

What the team looks like now, and the "ifs" involved.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Kesler - Hansen

Higgins - Roy - Kassian

Weise - Lapierre - Pinizzotto

Sestito, any call-ups

(Malhotra, Booth out)

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

Luongo - Schneider

There is so much in question because of the way the team has performed this season and last. They are so hot/cold, that nothing to do with this team can be put up remotely close to a "sure thing".

1st line - you just never know which series, which game, what shift the Sedins will dominate with. It's no longer even a "sure thing" to have Burrows on that line anymore because of the inconsistency.

2nd line - Raymond - Hansen have been a very good pair this year. They have had the most success when they've had a center than can keep up with them, and works hard. So in theory, that should be Kesler. But we can never really know how Kesler is going to play with his teammates. It's just a gigantic variable that was supposed to be addressed this year, but's he's played 7 games this season...

3rd line - it's been complete patchwork all season long, so there's no doubt that the chemistry will be starting from scratch yet again. Then there's the completely massive question mark known as Zach Kassian and how well he'll decide to perform.

4th line - Will Lapierre flip the switch in the play-offs? I sure hope so, because the entire application of the 4th line depends on him. He is the cornerstone of that line. His play dictates the minutes that line alleviates from the rest of the team.

Between now and the Play-offs, we will se some random call-ups. Schroeder and Ebbett might just come back. Who knows. Sweatt will likely go down upon Kesler's return. Jensen will probably play nine games, go down, and come back during our play-off run for some training.

As for the defense:

Hamhuis and Bieksa need to shut things down for us again.

Edler and Garrison need to figure out their ****...

Ballard needs to be played with Tanev......

The goaltending situation is a complete crapshoot. Which goalie is the right choice? That changes on a nightly basis. Maybe they should alternate periods?? Who the hell knows anymore.

AV and crew need to expand their system, because it's way too limited for the play-offs.

Most importantly, the Canucks need to stay healthy, and this is not an exact science.

I m not surprised by the lack of activity. Its been an odd year. I think with the lockout and the shortened seson, nobody was really willing to push the panic button. 48 games with a joke of a preseason just isn t enough to truly gauge what one has.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I'd like to know if Gillis lost a phone, I always lose a phone when I don't trade at the deadline....

Guest Gumballthechewy

I'm fine with Connauton (cant spell... dont have to care anymore) going because this team's D is so hard to slot into. Ask Ballard. Tanev is so very lucky to have weaselled his way in there.

pre deadline Centremen

1. Henrik

2. Higgins/Burrows (wingers)

3. Ahl'ers

4 Yappy french guy that doesnt hit anymore

Post deadline

1.Henrik

2.Kesler (All Star if healthy)

3.Roy (1b,2a center in the show)

4.Yappy french guy that doesn't hit anymore

If rookies Jensen and Kassian step up this team could be just fine.

Who? Who went all in and got significantly better?

Pittsburg? Wait a sec, they don't have Crosby anymore. Adding Morrow, Iginla, and Murray? Won't make up for Crosby being gone. And before anyone replies, of course they couldn't predict Crosby would go down. Just like MG couldn't predict Kesler or Booth would be gone for the majority of the season.

Do you think Pittsburg would be a better team with a healthy Crosby in the line-up? Now, do you think Vancouver might have a better record this season with a healthy Kesler and healthy Booth for the whole season?

Better question - do you think Pittsburg would have gone all in if they had known that literally the next game they would lose Crosby for the rest of the regular season, and quite possibly a good chunk of the playoffs? Jaw fracture is 4-6 weeks at least by the way - ask any Oral Surgeon - even with titanium plate rigid fixation.

Anyone else who went all in? Any division leaders? Montreal? Winnipeg? Anaheim? Chicago? No?

The Blues got Bouwmeester - did you think that would be a good pickup for us? Ideal for our cap situation, clearly. These mighty depth D-men you think we missed out on, really who? Leopold? O'Byrne?

Columbus? We'll see how Gaborik does there, but that's a franchise struggling to win credibility, never mind a cup.

The Canucks wanted to improve strength at centre. They acquired the best centreman of any who were traded. Clowe picked NYR over Vancouver - his choice. I saw no D-men traded that I would want at the asking price that would be a significant upgrade on our top 7.

So again, who is better than the Canucks and went out and sold the farm for the here and now, and after the smoke clears is any better for it? With your crystal ball, can you tell me which GM predicted the future the best, 5 hours after the trade deadline?

I am pretty happy actually. Derek Roy is a potential first line guy and we acquired him for a late 2nd round pick. If he resigns this deal is a huge win.

The last time acquired a legit top 6 player was 1995 when we got Russ Courtnall. You could argue Brendan Morrison but he was a young player at the time and we traded an older star in Mogilny to acquire him.

This could end up being the best trade deadline of all time, considering we gave up very little for a potential impact player.

When you consider what Minni gave up for Poms and what the Nucks gave up for Roy, I think we did awesome. We needed a C more anyways and only lost a 2nd.

There really wasn't much out there for MG to get. Over-payments and the dregs is about it. Feel bad for our goalies though. Both of them looked pretty grim today. Hopefully they can move on and put together some great games.

I believe.

All the praise and the whining, trade or no trade, all the predictions, all the finger pointing, rumours, speculating... none of it means anything. There's only one possible outcome that will prove anything.

This is the team this year. You can either cheer for them or sit around waiting for them to lose just so you can say "I told you so".

Your choice. Either way it's just a way of coping. Obviously if you're spending your time here, you want this team to succeed. I choose to believe that if I'm going to watch anyways, I might as well enjoy it.

Archived