The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts on the deadline activity (or lack thereof) - ALL DISCUSSION HERE PLEASE

L'Orange

Am I the only one that noticed that when Kesler was back in the lineup our PP went like 5 for 10 and when he would slowly creep towards the goalie to line up the one times it made our PP so dandgerous , you could see him waiting for it , His first game back he hit the post and then scored

If Luongo "chokes" in the playoffs - then how is it he has 32 wins and 29 losses? Shouldn't he have 62 losses if he's such a choker? Actually, how can he possibly have played in 62 playoff games if he's a choker?

LOL - you're not hilarious.

So...Schneider has let in 2 goals on the first 2 shots of a game, he's let in 2 goals in 42 seconds in his next game - 2 games we should have won easily - but he's not a choker?

I think if we call up Schroeder, send Ebbett down and have Kesler perform at a 60+ pt pace we are possibly the best team if not 2nd best team in the West.

Barring our defense and forwards remain healthy we have 3 legit scoring lines and possibly the best 3rd line in hockey if Roy plays on the 3rd when Kesler comes back.

I also like the idea of Jensen and Kassian battling it out to stay on the team with limited spots at RW. Not only that, but Gaunce is lighting it up in the Memorial Cup playoffs and Kellan Lain seems to be a forgotten face in our system. Lain has NHL-size and has matured in college and might be ready soon giving us great depth at centre.

I love the addition of Roy and am glad Gillis didn't overpay for anyone at this deadline. Minnesota grossly overpaid for Pomenville and even if they win the division this year, we will have Luongo, Raymond, and our 1st rd pick to use as trade bait in the off-season to fuirther improve this team.

My thoughts:

If Gillis thinks he will get what he wants for Luongo in the summer, he needs to get his head out of his a$$.

As I have said before he wanted to go all in, why didn't he see what the offers were for Schneider, he may have to if Luongo can't get moved and with the cap coming down he loses all leverage for both goalies

People say Schneider is our future, I agree but our future for the rest of the team looks bad. We will be a team with a bunch of random prospects with a good goalie, not going to get you anywhere

Derek Roy will help but not push us over the top. LA, STL, Hawks, much bigger and than our team. They will beat the crap out of the Canucks. Wild have improved a lot

Was disappointed not getting Torres.

Roy pick up was good, kes is just around the corner.

the main question is whether or not kassian or edler improves their gm come playoffs.

with 2 good goalies, nux can always steal a round or two.

Ballard and Raymond are expected to return. Booth is a long shot.

given the lack of offense, the key to winning is D and goaltending, and I think they are still pretty good in that aspect personnel wise, just have to perform.

Mess is an understatement...you can argue all you want about Schneids being a better tender than Lu, or better for this team, or giving us the best chance to win but bottom line LU or Schneider are still as good as Quick or Thomas, and better than Niemi, JSG, or Fleury....all stanley cup winning tenders. All you need is an above average tender on a good team...so if the LU contract is hamstringing the squad and Schneider got the better return, move him and put a better team in front of the remaining tender. You put LU or Schneider on any of Pitt, Bos, Chicago, Anaheim you don't think they become the instant cup favorites, they all have questions in net. That's how good both of our tenders are, that we pigeon holed ourselves into thinking we could only keep Schneider was the downfall. Not moving either one closes our window further and wasted a season.

My thoughts:

If Gillis thinks he will get what he wants for Luongo in the summer, he needs to get his head out of his a$$.

As I have said before he wanted to go all in, why didn't he see what the offers were for Schneider, he may have to if Luongo can't get moved and with the cap coming down he loses all leverage for both goalies

People say Schneider is our future, I agree but our future for the rest of the team looks bad. We will be a team with a bunch of random prospects with a good goalie, not going to get you anywhere

Derek Roy will help but not push us over the top. LA, STL, Hawks, much bigger and than our team. They will beat the crap out of the Canucks. Wild have improved a lot

another waste year, another year the sedins get older. Other teams are significantly better and went all in. Windows have closed on this core and yet gillis will hope for a cinderella run to the cup just by adding Roy.

Gillis its either ALL IN or if you won't give full support to this core then get rid of players for multiple 1st rd pick this deep draft.

Nothing in between. Acquiring a rental just to get to 2nd rd is a major failure. CUP or BUST.

Canucks D corps are not good enough to go all the way. You should have added another reliable D for depth

The forwards and defense men Schneider had were not the same that Luongo had, the types of shots cory faced were at many times different and fault of the D. the team also lacked the motivation etc.. because of loosing in scf cause of a choker.

Seems like an awful lot of 20/20 hindsight going around here...

At the time Luongo was signed to his current deal, they were quite common around the league. He was also considered a top 5 NHL goaltender at the time.

Now that the lockout has ended and the Cap is going down, everyone complains that Gillis didn't possess the clairvoyance needed to realize that A)The Cap would drop, and B)Schneider would develop into a better goaltender than Luongo.

It must be nice to have that kind of foresight. Strange that none of you could see that Raymond was going to rebound this season...

BTW: Anyone who thinks that the Parise tying goal in the Olympics was Lou's fault is clearly lacking in hockey knowledge. Watch it again and ask yourself what Shea Weber was doing on that play...

You're right. It isn't the cap hit per se. The problem is that everyone and their dog knows that Gillis NEEDS to trade Luongo and they're not going to pay regular price when they know it will go on sale next week. Gillis seems to think that the market will get better but the reality is that the longer he waits, the less value Luongo will have. The price is only going to keep dropping so why bother paying now? The NTC and the length of term aren't the problem. The problem is the looming salary cap deadline for next season.

Archived