The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts on the deadline activity (or lack thereof) - ALL DISCUSSION HERE PLEASE

L'Orange

If Roy doesn't re-sign, I think it's time for Gillis to go. If he does, I'd still question Gills for not selling a little bit during the overpriced deadline for some picks to trade for players during the picks-are-overpriced draft.

A smart GM, in the case of the Canucks, would realize that this year is simply not the year to take the risk. You can hope for a miracle, but that rarely is contingent on who you pick up at the deadline. To avoid the Calgary situation, you have to sell redundant players or questionable pending UFAs at the Deadline, when everyone is overpaying for roster players; also trying to unload bad contracts like SJS did.. Then you sell the picks you earned at the Deadline during the Draft, at which point GMs are overpaying to move up in the draft, so that you can replenish your roster with the players you want at decent, non-July 1st-inflated contracts. Then, you fill one or two holes in the summer, maybe make a couple trades.

Instead, Gillis sticks his thumb in his butt year after year, doesn't make a big deal because he is "comfortable with the team" (or more likely, has no balls); and he doesn't stock up on draft picks because he "has faith they can win it all". Last year was a prime example. Pick one route or the other. The year before was even worse. Nothing? Come on Gillis.

Gillis, you have to figure out what your damned plan is. A plan always consists of a course of action. Standing pat and being comfortable is not a course of action towards a plan or aspiration. It's simply laziness/pussiness.

because their teams will score goals in the right time after they let it bad goals?

how do you manage to watch hockey if you can't even understand the concept of every goalie will let in bad goals? Tim Freaking Thomas allowed 21 goals in the series against TB 2 seasons ago and they still get into the final because his team can actually score.

What I cannot understand is why people on here are such big fans of Gillis, and people who criticize him are flamed. What has he done to put this team over the top? Well let me tell you, absolutely NOTHING! The guy inherited the best players on this team, all he's done is bring in role players/bottom 6 plugs. He's messed things up more often then not, he's made more bad trades then good. In 5 years, he's got one really good prospect in the system and that's Jensen. And you people call him a good GM? The only thing he's good at is negotiating contracts and that's because he's a former agent. The guy is a better agent then a GM! (well except the Luongo deal. Not sure if he was working on behalf of Luongo or the team on that one). I have never been a fan of the guy and quiet frankly, I want to punch him in the face everytime I hear him talk nowadays.

If Roy doesn't re-sign, I think it's time for Gillis to go. If he does, I'd still question Gills for not selling a little bit during the overpriced deadline for some picks to trade for players during the picks-are-overpriced draft.

A smart GM, in the case of the Canucks, would realize that this year is simply not the year to take the risk. You can hope for a miracle, but that rarely is contingent on who you pick up at the deadline. To avoid the Calgary situation, you have to sell redundant players or questionable pending UFAs at the Deadline, when everyone is overpaying for roster players; also trying to unload bad contracts like SJS did.. Then you sell the picks you earned at the Deadline during the Draft, at which point GMs are overpaying to move up in the draft, so that you can replenish your roster with the players you want at decent, non-July 1st-inflated contracts. Then, you fill one or two holes in the summer, maybe make a couple trades.

Instead, Gillis sticks his thumb in his butt year after year, doesn't make a big deal because he is "comfortable with the team" (or more likely, has no balls); and he doesn't stock up on draft picks because he "has faith they can win it all". Last year was a prime example. Pick one route or the other. The year before was even worse. Nothing? Come on Gillis.

Gillis, you have to figure out what your damned plan is. A plan always consists of a course of action. Standing pat and being comfortable is not a course of action towards a plan or aspiration. It's simply laziness/pussiness.

LOL don't even bring the gold medal game into it, he had world class players infront of him and if he was steady it shouldn't have gone into overtime, did you see that goal? and finals, really, yeah, why couldn't he close it off? you're up 2-0 in the series and then? i remember watching those games very clearly dt, he choked and ofcourse its a big conspiracy by the nhl because they hate vancouver to bring us down

What I cannot understand is why people on here are such big fans of Gillis, and people who criticize him are flamed. What has he done to put this team over the top? Well let me tell you, absolutely NOTHING! The guy inherited the best players on this team, all he's done is bring in role players/bottom 6 plugs. He's messed things up more often then not, he's made more bad trades then good. In 5 years, he's got one really good prospect in the system and that's Jensen. And you people call him a good GM? The only thing he's good at is negotiating good contracts and that's because he's a former agent. The guy is a better agent then a GM! I have never been a fan of the guy and quiet frankly, I want to punch him in the face everytime I hear him talk nowadays.

I didn't hear him say anything particularly about Gillis, and I watched the whole presser. Perhaps you could be more specific into what he said that you think explained what Gillis is exactly.

I did hear him say the contract doesn't help, and that he'd void it if he could, but then he signed it. He's certainly not the only player to do so, nor the only GM to offer one, but for some reason this one is seen as a bad deal when the others aren't.

Why are people acting like the Canucks stood pat? They almost got Clowe, he chose NYR. They almost got Torres, it sounds like SJS stepped in at the last minute and gave a better offer. For all we know this mystery deal Washington is making could involve us, though it could involve 28 other teams. While I agree that Derek Roy alone is not enough, it's still more (and better) than a lot of teams did.

Archived