The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***Updated*** Emotional Roberto Luongo, "My Contract Sucks" - Continues To Wait For Trade

Vancouver Canucks 30

He had all the bargaining power at the time. Our only legit superstar could walk away as a UFA. Lou was holding all the cards. It was the same when Nonis got him as an RFA. He had to the end of June to sign him or he'd be open to offer sheets. Lou had all the power in his first deal here as well with no tie to the team or city. Nois overpaid him and Gillis did as well. Except Gillis had to add on circumvention years to get the cap hit down.

I can honestly see Luongo in Philly next season. I'm sure now the Flyers know they need to buy out Byrz and most likely will and I can see them making a push for Lu. I would love to see him in Philly.

Our only legit superstar? The Sedins are much more accomplished and sought after players and they had Burke waiting to land them in Sweden,. Remember how close that one was? Right down to the wire for a Hart and Art Ross trophy winner! How many Hart trophies has Bobby won? How about Vezina's?

They're not close to the same caliber of players.

*Sigh* AT THE TIME. Keys words there. Hart and Art Ross came afterwards Mr. Hindsight. At the time (there's those key words again) Lou was an all-star and Vezina and Hart nominee. The Sedins had yet to make an all-star appearance or be nominated for anything. As a matter of fact most on this board didn't even consider them legit first liners at the time.

*Sigh* AT THE TIME. Keys words there. Hart and Art Ross came afterwards Mr. Hindsight. At the time (there's those key words again) Lou was an all-star and Vezina and Hart nominee. The Sedins had yet to make an all-star appearance or be nominated for anything. As a matter of fact most on this board didn't even consider them legit first liners at the time.

I still feel like there is a chance he ends up in Phoenix if they move to Quebec. It really looks like no one will be purchasing the team to keep it in Glendale, if the team is moved to Quebec, what better way to create even more hype than there already would be than by bringing in an all-star elite francophone goalie with a franchise player length contract?

He would be their Patrick Roy.

I mean they have no goalies signed next year, and like 25M in cap space.

Could you imagine Lu's play under Maloney and Tippett?

I still feel like there is a chance he ends up in Phoenix if they move to Quebec. It really looks like no one will be purchasing the team to keep it in Glendale, if the team is moved to Quebec, what better way to create even more hype than there already would be than by bringing in an all-star elite francophone goalie with a franchise player length contract?

He would be their Patrick Roy

Wrong.

Not everyone agrees with this...

This isn't minor hockey, where everyone gets to play and is given a "participant" ribbon afterward. This is the NHL and the players that perform the best get to play.

Louie has been a great player for the Canucks, but he's been surpassed by Schneider. If the Devils had had a guy in their system like him, Brodeur likely wouldn't have recieved his latest contract, but the closest thing to Schneider that Jersey has had over Marty's career is Scott Clemmenson.

Luongo hasn't been treated poorly. It's just the business of hockey.

Well said Rupert, it is just that, the business side of the game. It is hard to separate yourself from the emotion we saw from Lou yesterday, I would, in fact, say it draws more people into viewing him more as "the victim". But if you take a step back, you realize there is no victim, it was a contract that was drawn up and seemed to be viable at the time, whether you view it as fortunate or unfortunate, the great play of CS, has now deemed it not such a great contract.

Wrong.

Not everyone agrees with this...

This isn't minor hockey, where everyone gets to play and is given a "participant" ribbon afterward. This is the NHL and the players that perform the best get to play.

Louie has been a great player for the Canucks, but he's been surpassed by Schneider. If the Devils had had a guy in their system like him, Brodeur likely wouldn't have recieved his latest contract, but the closest thing to Schneider that Jersey has had over Marty's career is Scott Clemmenson.

Luongo hasn't been treated poorly. It's just the business of hockey.

So Luongo wasn't traded ! Goaltending is not always the problem here. There are others on the team that have no trades in their contract. There is suspect play all around. In the final analysis the owner, manager and coaches have failed the fans because the bulding is always full.

Archived