The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***Updated*** Emotional Roberto Luongo, "My Contract Sucks" - Continues To Wait For Trade

Vancouver Canucks 30

Right, they transformed into COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLAYERS after they signed. Averaging 80 points a year the previous four years was chopped liver. After all, no one was waiting in Sweden to sign them away eh?

Quit being deliberately obtuse.

With respect to hindsight., speak for yourself eh. My friends and I thought that Gillis had to be sniffing inhalants the day he signed Luongo to that anchor contract-we still feel that way. We also were confounded by the way he handled the Sedins negotiations,. Again, THEN and NOW.

There is NOTHING revisionist about this stuff. Quit pretending otherwise, it doesn't wash.

Well said Rupert, it is just that, the business side of the game. It is hard to separate yourself from the emotion we saw from Lou yesterday, I would, in fact, say it draws more people into viewing him more as "the victim". But if you take a step back, you realize there is no victim, it was a contract that was drawn up and seemed to be viable at the time, whether you view it as fortunate or unfortunate, the great play of CS, has now deemed it not such a great contract.

The only way I see this being true (Lu for Scrivs + 2 picks, repeated calls to TO during the last hour) is if MG was trying to accommodate Luongo and trying to move him, regardless of return, simply out of respect and appreciation for Roberto and what he's done for this team.

This is just it. Take CS out of the equation, and guess what, it's not such a bad deal. Without CS, anyone want to trade Lou for Mike Smith, Khabiboulin, Giguere, etc? Not me, I would like a bit more stay at home D to help the goalie out, but I am not naive enough to ride it all on one of these other goalies. We got fortunate enough to develop a goalie, maybe 2 if Lack turns out, and we happened to do it while/just after signing a franchise goalie.

The Sedins were considered stars in league, while Lou was considered that next level: superstar. Lou AT THAT TIME was the only superstar on the team. As I originally said. When Lou re-signed in September 2009 the Sedins had a grand total of two 80 points seasons each and had only cracked the leagues top 20 in points once. It was the 09/10 season they made that step to superstars status AFTER Luongo had re-signed. That's not "transforming into completely different players". It's simply taking that next step.

I have no doubt at all Burke had a pair of contracts in his briefcase when he flew over to Sweden. I even said so at the time. That didn't make the Sedins "superstars", it simply meant they were highly desirable pending ufa's. Both Hamhuis and Garrison were highly desirable ufa's who had several GM's making offers. That doesn't mean they're superstars though now does it.

Gillis has really mismanaged the entire goalie situation. Players are human. They play better when they know they have the support of their teammates, management, and fans. Luongo has been hung out to dry way too many times and the way he has handled everything speaks loads about his character.

Think about how stressed out you would be if the future of your job, which would mean uprooting your family's entire life, was unknown and on the rocks for two years. Lu's done a ton for this organization and there seems to be almost zero loyalty to him which is crap and I'm tired of seeing MG embarrass him. MG needs to go, not Lu.

All those years spent debating about how Luongo isn't a team player, how he never takes the blame for things, how he sucked as a captain and never showed emotion after losses... etc. The guy has either really changed since then, or the media just chose to portray him in bad light after those back-to-back losses against Chicago.

Could barely watch the entire interview. You really feel for him, he just wants to play the damn game and he honestly doesn't deserve all the crap that he's had to deal with since management decided to resign Schneider. As cliche as it sounds, money is important, but it doesn't buy happiness.

Archived