The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***Updated*** Emotional Roberto Luongo, "My Contract Sucks" - Continues To Wait For Trade

Vancouver Canucks 30

I know this is not plausible but, what if the canucks bought him out with the amnesty this year and then re-signed him as a UFA to a 3 yr deal at 1.5m per year or something?

Can they do that and then trade him?

Lu might agree to this as he still makes his buyout money AND he gets a very liquid contract that makes him easily movable.

If they could I'm sure they would have done that. In the canucks video Luongo himself says the contract sucks and if he could re-do it he would. We can't buy him out because that would just be a waste. I'm sure we can get something.

I don't exactly know what Gillis is/was/has been asking for but maybe if talks don't go well in the summer he may have to lower his asking price and just get something out of it. tbh, it may come down to Canucks taking on a bad contract to get rid of a bad contract....bad position to be in atm and I'm sure (me included) a lot of us fans don't realise how hard it really is.

???? I love Luongo but wth why all the bleeding hearts for him?

1. If he was truly desperate to get out of town he could have waived his NTC which would have helped Gillis a lot.

2. He is being paid a sick sick amount of money to practice and stay in shape... not too shabby at all.

3. He needs to suck it up, realize he is not bigger than the team... if it doesn't improve the Canucks why would Gillis trade him, instead of saying his contract sucks he should start playing like he deserves that contract at all - then it would be moot.

What are the rules on a buyout? If we bought him out, and re-signed him immediately to a new contract would that work? He gets all the money he was due, and the Canucks get a more trade-friendly contract to work with.

It probably isn't allowed but it would make Gillis' job so much easier this Summer

Unfortuantely, I think we have been hit harder by the new CBA than anyone else. Luongo's contact was obviously signed on both parties part with the intention that if Lou retired his cap hit would not affect the team. Now whether that's backdiving or not MG never would have signed a contract for that long if he knew was playing by different rules. If it was considered backdiving than it shouldn't have been allowed. Even with the length the arguement can be made that MG approached it that if he retires well that's fine because the cap comes off the books but if he's still able to play than we're glad to have him until 2090. Kovalchuck may be hard to trade but he's still going to be very valuable for years and he doens't play a postion where only one player per game can play.

The league screwed us and I don't think any of the GM's are that broken up by it. Unfortunately we may have to just eat this one and take the cap savings.

Man...if the relationship can be repaired, maybe we should just move Cory after the Post Season...

I like Lu and it's pretty clear goaltending isnt the issue with the Canucks

Cory gets lit up, Lu gets lit up, it happens to the best

come playoff time goalies have been known to steal complete series showing up in each and every game ya he won 1 2 and 5 standing on his head but people need to realize he also lost 3 4 and 7 with his first period play when a goalie doesn't make a save to start the game the team in front loses confidence

i am curious do we know when luongo actually became tradeable and im not talking about the coach picking schneider over him in the la series

well did some digging myself quickly all i found was this twitter quote from april 26th

Nick Kypreos @RealKyper

#SNPlayoffs #Canucks Luongo asks for trade. Van didn't even need to ask him to waive NTC. He tells them himself in exit meeting he wants out

not sure if he actually did this still curious about when gillis actually made an attempt to trade luongo or when he started telling teams he was available

I think it's horrible for MG to come out after Lu and say they had been talking about deals with him from multiple teams. There is no reason for Lu to lie and say he had not been approached to wave for anyone, and to say it's a blow to his ego. It's not matching. FFS he said he would scrap his whole contract if he could just play. MG thinks he just needs time to to cool down... pshhh.

Archived