Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 6 votes

***Updated*** Emotional Roberto Luongo, "My Contract Sucks" - Continues To Wait For Trade

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
384 replies to this topic

#301 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:25 AM

He had all the bargaining power at the time. Our only legit superstar could walk away as a UFA. Lou was holding all the cards. It was the same when Nonis got him as an RFA. He had to the end of June to sign him or he'd be open to offer sheets. Lou had all the power in his first deal here as well with no tie to the team or city. Nois overpaid him and Gillis did as well. Except Gillis had to add on circumvention years to get the cap hit down.

Our only legit superstar? The Sedins are much more accomplished and sought after players and they had Burke waiting to land them in Sweden,. Remember how close that one was? Right down to the wire for a Hart and Art Ross trophy winner! How many Hart trophies has Bobby won? How about Vezina's?

They're not close to the same caliber of players.

Edited by Keke Mortson's helmet, 04 April 2013 - 04:26 AM.

#302 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:33 AM

I can honestly see Luongo in Philly next season. I'm sure now the Flyers know they need to buy out Byrz and most likely will and I can see them making a push for Lu. I would love to see him in Philly.

I love this one it is my favourite.

So what you are saying is they are going to buy out one horrible contract then obtain another horrible contract by giving away Draft picks and like many others suggest, Couturier

sweet deal.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#303 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,174 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:55 AM

Our only legit superstar? The Sedins are much more accomplished and sought after players and they had Burke waiting to land them in Sweden,. Remember how close that one was? Right down to the wire for a Hart and Art Ross trophy winner! How many Hart trophies has Bobby won? How about Vezina's?

They're not close to the same caliber of players.

*Sigh* AT THE TIME. Keys words there. Hart and Art Ross came afterwards Mr. Hindsight. At the time (there's those key words again) Lou was an all-star and Vezina and Hart nominee. The Sedins had yet to make an all-star appearance or be nominated for anything. As a matter of fact most on this board didn't even consider them legit first liners at the time.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#304 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:19 AM

*Sigh* AT THE TIME. Keys words there. Hart and Art Ross came afterwards Mr. Hindsight. At the time (there's those key words again) Lou was an all-star and Vezina and Hart nominee. The Sedins had yet to make an all-star appearance or be nominated for anything. As a matter of fact most on this board didn't even consider them legit first liners at the time.

Right, they transformed into COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLAYERS after they signed. Averaging 80 points a year the previous four years was chopped liver. After all, no one was waiting in Sweden to sign them away eh?

Quit being deliberately obtuse.

#305 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:29 AM

With respect to hindsight., speak for yourself eh. My friends and I thought that Gillis had to be sniffing inhalants the day he signed Luongo to that anchor contract-we still feel that way. We also were confounded by the way he handled the Sedins negotiations,. Again, THEN and NOW.

There is NOTHING revisionist about this stuff. Quit pretending otherwise, it doesn't wash.

Edited by Keke Mortson's helmet, 04 April 2013 - 05:30 AM.

#306 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:32 AM

I still feel like there is a chance he ends up in Phoenix if they move to Quebec. It really looks like no one will be purchasing the team to keep it in Glendale, if the team is moved to Quebec, what better way to create even more hype than there already would be than by bringing in an all-star elite francophone goalie with a franchise player length contract?

He would be their Patrick Roy.

I mean they have no goalies signed next year, and like 25M in cap space.

Could you imagine Lu's play under Maloney and Tippett?

Edited by knoxdown, 04 April 2013 - 05:36 AM.

"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#307 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:36 AM

I still feel like there is a chance he ends up in Phoenix if they move to Quebec. It really looks like no one will be purchasing the team to keep it in Glendale, if the team is moved to Quebec, what better way to create even more hype than there already would be than by bringing in an all-star elite francophone goalie with a franchise player length contract?

He would be their Patrick Roy

I can totally see him signing with Quebec if the Coyotes move there.

After a compliance buyout this summer.

#308 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:46 AM

Roberto Luongo is, after all, a two time second team all star.

Back up the Brinks truck.

#309 supermanbieksa

supermanbieksa

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:55 AM

Feel quite bad for him, but this is all Gillis fault. I think this means we will need to use one of our buy outs on Luongo, or we sill trade him for a early second round/late first round pick.

#310 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:08 AM

If it was Phx, I could see moving Lu+1st for their 1st at the draft. Move up in the draft and gain some cap space, seems reasonable.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#311 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

There's still a goalie trade that needs to happen this summer. It doesn't seem like Lu and MG's somewhat conflicting statements helped that process at all.

#312 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

Don't you get it??? Money's not everything for him

Ah baloney. No one ut a gun to his head and made him sign. And Gillis certainly didnt offer him a massive contract first off.

Gillis made a tactical error in signing the contract, but lets get real, we havent had a franchise goalie for years. This iswhat it took to not be playing Danny Sabourin and Jason Lababera. Did you have a crystal ball to tell Schneids was going to be as good as he was?

Lou on the other hand wanted the big money. Do you suppose he went into that contract saying, hey Mike, lets sign something that makes it easy to trade me. Nope. So while I sympathize with him, buddy, you held out till that contract got signed. Sorry you have to live with your decisions, but you do.

So poster, to say money isnt everything, it sure was when he signed that big ol contract. Guess he shoulda thought of that first.

Now as part of the fan base, we need to get a bloody grip. Seems to me we are running a goalie out of town. Thats crape.

Edited by WL Canuck Fan, 04 April 2013 - 06:42 AM.

Sig too big.

#313 Ride the red Pony

Ride the red Pony

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

Was good to see some raw emotion from Lou, although PR should have stepped in earlier, made him unavailable for comments until he had a few hours to digest it. The guy cares more about his job than a pay cheque, what GM wouldn't want him on their team?

#314 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,472 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

I think there is one thing that everyone agrees with, this is all on MG and everything is being handled wrong. It's a poker bet gone verrrry wrong. Fire him.

Wrong.

Not everyone agrees with this...

Gillis has dropped another notch in my respect for him as a GM today.

This whole debacle should have been avoided from the start. An absolute mess. I am a Lu fan, and I'm also a Schneider fan. I'm also a fan who won't throw Luongo under the bus for the teams complete playoff meltdowns.

The way he has been treated, for everything he has done for the organization in the last 7 years, is absolutely appalling. I'm sorry, but when you have a goalie of his caliber, signed to a lifelong contract, you don't shove him in the corner for the backup.

This would NEVER happen with Brodeur. Or with any organization that just signed an all-star player to a career long contract with the intent of PLAYING. Last I checked we signed Lu to be our franchise goaltender.

I'm disgusted.

This isn't minor hockey, where everyone gets to play and is given a "participant" ribbon afterward. This is the NHL and the players that perform the best get to play.

Louie has been a great player for the Canucks, but he's been surpassed by Schneider. If the Devils had had a guy in their system like him, Brodeur likely wouldn't have recieved his latest contract, but the closest thing to Schneider that Jersey has had over Marty's career is Scott Clemmenson.

Luongo hasn't been treated poorly. It's just the business of hockey.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#315 onesmallleap

onesmallleap

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

note: "THE" primadonna AKA LuGonGo has left the building crying over his millions and the millions more to come....WOW WHAT AN ASS!!!!!!

#316 Ride the red Pony

Ride the red Pony

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

Wrong.

This isn't minor hockey, where everyone gets to play and is given a "participant" ribbon afterward. This is the NHL and the players that perform the best get to play.

Louie has been a great player for the Canucks, but he's been surpassed by Schneider. If the Devils had had a guy in their system like him, Brodeur likely wouldn't have recieved his latest contract, but the closest thing to Schneider that Jersey has had over Marty's career is Scott Clemmenson.

Well said Rupert, it is just that, the business side of the game. It is hard to separate yourself from the emotion we saw from Lou yesterday, I would, in fact, say it draws more people into viewing him more as "the victim". But if you take a step back, you realize there is no victim, it was a contract that was drawn up and seemed to be viable at the time, whether you view it as fortunate or unfortunate, the great play of CS, has now deemed it not such a great contract.

#317 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

Well said Rupert, it is just that, the business side of the game. It is hard to separate yourself from the emotion we saw from Lou yesterday, I would, in fact, say it draws more people into viewing him more as "the victim". But if you take a step back, you realize there is no victim, it was a contract that was drawn up and seemed to be viable at the time, whether you view it as fortunate or unfortunate, the great play of CS, has now deemed it not such a great contract.

This is just it. Take CS out of the equation, and guess what, it's not such a bad deal. Without CS, anyone want to trade Lou for Mike Smith, Khabiboulin, Giguere, etc? Not me, I would like a bit more stay at home D to help the goalie out, but I am not naive enough to ride it all on one of these other goalies. We got fortunate enough to develop a goalie, maybe 2 if Lack turns out, and we happened to do it while/just after signing a franchise goalie.

Edited by WL Canuck Fan, 04 April 2013 - 08:07 AM.

Sig too big.

#318 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

I don't buy into Dregger's comments. To be honest I don't believe Mg offered up Luongo for Scrivs and 2 draftpicks. Total B.S.

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

#319 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,662 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

Wrong.

Perfect assessment.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#320 snucks

snucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

So Luongo wasn't traded ! Goaltending is not always the problem here. There are others on the team that have no trades in their contract. There is suspect play all around. In the final analysis the owner, manager and coaches have failed the fans because the bulding is always full.

Edited by snucks, 04 April 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#321 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,174 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

Right, they transformed into COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLAYERS after they signed. Averaging 80 points a year the previous four years was chopped liver. After all, no one was waiting in Sweden to sign them away eh?

Quit being deliberately obtuse.

The Sedins were considered stars in league, while Lou was considered that next level: superstar. Lou AT THAT TIME was the only superstar on the team. As I originally said. When Lou re-signed in September 2009 the Sedins had a grand total of two 80 points seasons each and had only cracked the leagues top 20 in points once. It was the 09/10 season they made that step to superstars status AFTER Luongo had re-signed. That's not "transforming into completely different players". It's simply taking that next step.

I have no doubt at all Burke had a pair of contracts in his briefcase when he flew over to Sweden. I even said so at the time. That didn't make the Sedins "superstars", it simply meant they were highly desirable pending ufa's. Both Hamhuis and Garrison were highly desirable ufa's who had several GM's making offers. That doesn't mean they're superstars though now does it.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#322 SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

I don't buy into Dregger's comments. To be honest I don't believe Mg offered up Luongo for Scrivs and 2 draftpicks. Total B.S.

The only way I see this being true (Lu for Scrivs + 2 picks, repeated calls to TO during the last hour) is if MG was trying to accommodate Luongo and trying to move him, regardless of return, simply out of respect and appreciation for Roberto and what he's done for this team.

And while MG has historically gone out of his way to accommodate his players, I don't see him taking an insulting lowball deal just to make Lu happy.

Here's the obvious: trading Lu for Scrivens+ picks (or for any deal with just picks or prospects or minor additions) would not improve the Canucks chances for the playoffs. In fact, these types of deals would weaken the team.

The Canucks are stronger with Lu backing up Schneids than with Scrivens (when all the dust settles and everyone calms down, this will become pretty clear). The Canucks are also stronger with 2 quality goalkeepers than with anything that was on offer for the deadline (according to the rumoured returns).

The only ways it made sense to move Lu (at this trade deadline):

(1) if MG was able to make more deals for several impact players (outside of the Lu trade). Then, you move Lu for whatever package you can get, just to clear the cap space needed to get the acquisitions into the lineup and under the cap (including LTIR). If Gillis had been able to acquire 2-3 other players (like Jagr, Clarkson, Clowe, etc.) then you move Lu for picks because you need to make the space
(2) if someone actually offers a quality return: even if just picks. If you can get something really valuable, then you pull the trigger no matter when it is during the season

Otherwise, MG is correct to wait until the offseason. Simply because the team has a better chance to win with Lu than with any of the packages they were offered at the deadline. A downgrade in goal (Scrivens) wouldn't help. Picks and prospects don't help right now either and, since the offers were quite meager, the Canucks can likely get better (or at least the same) during the improved trade climate leading up to the NHL Draft.

All indications are that MG worked really hard to improve this team, right up to the last minute before the deadline. The Canucks were in a several potential deals for significant players and they worked the phones with a handful of serious suitors for Luongo. They acquired Roy in a deal that, even outside of Vancouver, is almost universally views as a steal and a big win for Gillis (even fans who hate the Canucks call this a good move by MG).

It's been a seemingly endless and very frustrating road, for Lu and for all of us, but Gillis is correct in continuing to be patient and to take the long view. Luongo will get moved and Gillis will get the best result he can. Until this thing plays itself out, we can't judge the final result because we haven't seen it. Certainly, Gillis' reputation (and possibly his job) is hanging in the balance but we'll have to wait for another day before we can judge whether or not MG made the right choices.

#323 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,174 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

With respect to hindsight., speak for yourself eh. My friends and I thought that Gillis had to be sniffing inhalants the day he signed Luongo to that anchor contract-we still feel that way. We also were confounded by the way he handled the Sedins negotiations,. Again, THEN and NOW.

There is NOTHING revisionist about this stuff. Quit pretending otherwise, it doesn't wash.

You were the one that said, "The Sedins are much more accomplished and sought after players". Which must be the use of hindsight as at the time (there's those words again) the Sedins hadn't been on an all-star team nor even nominated for any NHL award. While Lou was a two time 2nd team all-star, had 3 all-star game appearances (plus one he turned down), 2 Vezina nominations, 2 Lester B. Pearson nominations and a Hart nomination. So how exactly were the Sedins more accomplished? It's what you're claiming that doesn't wash.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#324 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,472 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

Exactly. The other thing that people can't seem to figure out is that Luongo isn't really complaining. He's lamenting the way things turned out.

At the time of the signing, he likely didn't envision Schneider outplaying him just a couple of years later, nor would he have predicted his own decline.

Right now, he's looking at the situation and saying "If I had it to do over again...." How many of us can say that we've never done that?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#325 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,472 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

The only way I see this being true (Lu for Scrivs + 2 picks, repeated calls to TO during the last hour) is if MG was trying to accommodate Luongo and trying to move him, regardless of return, simply out of respect and appreciation for Roberto and what he's done for this team.

This could have been the case. Of course we don't know what those picks were. My guess would be a pair of seconds or maybe a 2nd and 3rd. It doesn't seem likely, considering what Gillis was looking for, however, it's possible that he would have moved Louie for futures and then gone hard after someone like Ribeiro....

#326 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,472 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

This is just it. Take CS out of the equation, and guess what, it's not such a bad deal. Without CS, anyone want to trade Lou for Mike Smith, Khabiboulin, Giguere, etc? Not me, I would like a bit more stay at home D to help the goalie out, but I am not naive enough to ride it all on one of these other goalies. We got fortunate enough to develop a goalie, maybe 2 if Lack turns out, and we happened to do it while/just after signing a franchise goalie.

This is true. The contract looks even better when you consider that when it was signed, both parties had ways to get out in the later years of the deal. The new CBA has closed some of those loopholes, but it's not really fair to expect either party to have guessed that would happen.

#327 TheTruthHurts

TheTruthHurts

Canucks Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

He's an expensive "backup". He should be glad he's getting paid so much for doing little.

Edited by TheTruthHurts, 04 April 2013 - 10:23 AM.

#328 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,472 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

He's an expensive "backup". He should be glad he's getting paid so much for doing little.

But that's just it. He wants to do more. he wants to earn his money.

Other folks? Maybe not so much....

#329 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

I love this one it is my favourite.

So what you are saying is they are going to buy out one horrible contract then obtain another horrible contract by giving away Draft picks and like many others suggest, Couturier

sweet deal.

have you seen Bryz's caphit compared to Luongo's? lol it's even higher

throw in how terrible Bryz has been playing on top of it and Luongo is a big upgrade for Philly

#330 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

The Sedins were considered stars in league, while Lou was considered that next level: superstar. Lou AT THAT TIME was the only superstar on the team. As I originally said. When Lou re-signed in September 2009 the Sedins had a grand total of two 80 points seasons each and had only cracked the leagues top 20 in points once. It was the 09/10 season they made that step to superstars status AFTER Luongo had re-signed. That's not "transforming into completely different players". It's simply taking that next step.

I have no doubt at all Burke had a pair of contracts in his briefcase when he flew over to Sweden. I even said so at the time. That didn't make the Sedins "superstars", it simply meant they were highly desirable pending ufa's. Both Hamhuis and Garrison were highly desirable ufa's who had several GM's making offers. That doesn't mean they're superstars though now does it.

I accept that the Sedin's did take the next step after signing, but you ought to acknowlee that they signed for a hometown discount at $6 million per. And they were star players in the minds of hockey people around the NHL then, if not in the minds of every single Canuck fan.

I didn't understand at the time why Bobby couldn't be a good soldier and sign a reasonable contract for reasonable numbers and term like the Sedin's did. And I still don't. That contract was an albatross THE DAY IT WAS SIGNED. Almost ebveryone of my friends concluded this at the time. It wasn't a minority point of view. Gilles Lupien got over BIG TIME on Mike Gillis.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.