Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 6 votes

***Updated*** Emotional Roberto Luongo, "My Contract Sucks" - Continues To Wait For Trade

• Please log in to reply
384 replies to this topic

#91 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

maybe if luongo played in the NFL.

#92 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

Sadly, the best return we could probably get for Luongo is cap space. And at this point I'd be happy with just that.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#93 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,935 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

You guys forget that we were down 0-3 before Schneider came in?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#94 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

Man I love the guy.

Having just watched the video he is a 24 carat class act and I don't see why he should renegotiate his contract. Gillis was happy to sign it and if they want to make it manageable in a trade then the owners should bear part of his cap in a trade. If they don't like it then they should sack Gillis.

Gillis is stubborn though and said he would never do that. ................But he also said he didn't believe in rentals.

Lu has his family and future to consider and I hope he stands by the contract.
Kevin.jpg

#95 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

To me this management group and coaching staff have to be held accountable for how Lui's situation has been handled from day 1.

Whether you believe that Cory is the guy or Lui is the guy, the fact is that when they pulled Lui in the LA series and went with Cory, it was the poker equivalent of showing every other GM in the league their hand and significantly weakened their position.

There was absolutely no reason that they couldn't have gone back to Lui in at least one of the last two games of that series as it should have been plainly obvious to everyone at the time that the Canucks weren't going anywhere in those playoffs regardless of who was in net.

Edited by MJDDawg, 03 April 2013 - 02:25 PM.

Posted Image

#96 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

I know this is not plausible but, what if the canucks bought him out with the amnesty this year and then re-signed him as a UFA to a 3 yr deal at 1.5m per year or something?

Can they do that and then trade him?

Lu might agree to this as he still makes his buyout money AND he gets a very liquid contract that makes him easily movable.

Pretty sure the same team can't re-sign him.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#97 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Bettman and Fehr both work together to screw over the Canucks this time. #conspiracy
Posted Image

#98 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,706 posts

I know this is not plausible but, what if the canucks bought him out with the amnesty this year and then re-signed him as a UFA to a 3 yr deal at 1.5m per year or something?

Lu might agree to this as he still makes his buyout money AND he gets a very liquid contract that makes him easily movable.

You can't re-sign a player you buy out.
Posted Image

#99 jj99

jj99

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

Anybody see his twitter yesterday about the Blue Jays needing a catcher for R.A. Dickey......I like this guy more and more.

#100 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

So if he was never approached about going to TO in the summer then this is 100% MG's F up. It was reported that TO had a good offer for him in the summer.

Thinking MG needs to go, but oh right we can get more for him next summer when we have to trade him or be forced to buy him out.

#101 geebster

geebster

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Wow, for a guy trying to point out something that was forgotten...to get it wrong is just funny.

How can you be down 0-3 before Schneider goes in, but have Schneider go 1-2 in the series?

It was 0-2, genius.

#102 c00kies

c00kies

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,808 posts

No, you cannot buy-out a player and then re-sign. We could buy-out Luongo and then trade for him (I think) once another team signs him, although there would be no reason to do that anyway...
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#103 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Man...if the relationship can be repaired, maybe we should just move Cory after the Post Season...

I like Lu and it's pretty clear goaltending isnt the issue with the Canucks

Cory gets lit up, Lu gets lit up, it happens to the best

#104 Bring_Back_Bertuzzi

Bring_Back_Bertuzzi

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

they either trade him or scrap his contract they cant do both

luo_sig_with_words.jpg

#105 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

If they could I'm sure they would have done that. In the canucks video Luongo himself says the contract sucks and if he could re-do it he would. We can't buy him out because that would just be a waste. I'm sure we can get something.

I don't exactly know what Gillis is/was/has been asking for but maybe if talks don't go well in the summer he may have to lower his asking price and just get something out of it. tbh, it may come down to Canucks taking on a bad contract to get rid of a bad contract....bad position to be in atm and I'm sure (me included) a lot of us fans don't realise how hard it really is.
Posted Image

#106 ToddThePunisherBertuzzi

ToddThePunisherBertuzzi

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Absolute class act. This is why the true fans will continue to support Luongo, through thick and thin.
<p>You wanna know why the Toronto sports media need to talk about the Leafs?       BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WANTS TO.

#107 Apples

Apples

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,555 posts

Pretty disappointed in Gillis. Over a year to deal Luongo and still nothing has been done

Posted Image

#108 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,464 posts

Oh... no that's unfortunate. You have it very wrong.

PS. Luongo was stellar in both games he played.
Posted Image

Thank you Roberto =(

#109 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,749 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

???? I love Luongo but wth why all the bleeding hearts for him?

1. If he was truly desperate to get out of town he could have waived his NTC which would have helped Gillis a lot.
2. He is being paid a sick sick amount of money to practice and stay in shape... not too shabby at all.
3. He needs to suck it up, realize he is not bigger than the team... if it doesn't improve the Canucks why would Gillis trade him, instead of saying his contract sucks he should start playing like he deserves that contract at all - then it would be moot.

1. Won't make any difference whether ntc is waived or not
2. That's not the problem nor the point
3. Stop putting words in mouth. And his contract does kinda suck...but that's not on him.

#110 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

without the goalie standing on his head in game 1 2 and 5, there WON'T be game 6 and 7 ffs.

This is logic. The goalie should be the last person to take the blame when the team can manage to get to game 7 with 8 freaking goalies.

come playoff time goalies have been known to steal complete series showing up in each and every game ya he won 1 2 and 5 standing on his head but people need to realize he also lost 3 4 and 7 with his first period play when a goalie doesn't make a save to start the game the team in front loses confidence

#111 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

What are the rules on a buyout? If we bought him out, and re-signed him immediately to a new contract would that work? He gets all the money he was due, and the Canucks get a more trade-friendly contract to work with.

It probably isn't allowed but it would make Gillis' job so much easier this Summer
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#112 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,772 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Unfortuantely, I think we have been hit harder by the new CBA than anyone else. Luongo's contact was obviously signed on both parties part with the intention that if Lou retired his cap hit would not affect the team. Now whether that's backdiving or not MG never would have signed a contract for that long if he knew was playing by different rules. If it was considered backdiving than it shouldn't have been allowed. Even with the length the arguement can be made that MG approached it that if he retires well that's fine because the cap comes off the books but if he's still able to play than we're glad to have him until 2090. Kovalchuck may be hard to trade but he's still going to be very valuable for years and he doens't play a postion where only one player per game can play.

The league screwed us and I don't think any of the GM's are that broken up by it. Unfortunately we may have to just eat this one and take the cap savings.

Edited by Dogbyte, 03 April 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#113 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

Man...if the relationship can be repaired, maybe we should just move Cory after the Post Season...

I like Lu and it's pretty clear goaltending isnt the issue with the Canucks

Cory gets lit up, Lu gets lit up, it happens to the best

makes the most sense to trade Cory, should have done it a while ago but MG seems set on trading Luongo.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#114 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

Thanks Gillis for holding onto falling stocks. So bloody arogant
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#115 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

come playoff time goalies have been known to steal complete series showing up in each and every game ya he won 1 2 and 5 standing on his head but people need to realize he also lost 3 4 and 7 with his first period play when a goalie doesn't make a save to start the game the team in front loses confidence

the team scored 1 freaking goals in each of his shutout games against Boston, so ffs don't use "if Luongo didn't let in those goals, the team would have score." bull.

I am not saying he didn't have his faults, but he's the last person to take the blame because litreally the whole team failed to do their jobs for 7 games. Yet you guys are isolating Luongo, the goalie who took the team to game 7, as the sole problem of that series.. it's disgusting.

#116 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

i am curious do we know when luongo actually became tradeable and im not talking about the coach picking schneider over him in the la series

well did some digging myself quickly all i found was this twitter quote from april 26th

Nick Kypreos @RealKyper

#SNPlayoffs #Canucks Luongo asks for trade. Van didn't even need to ask him to waive NTC. He tells them himself in exit meeting he wants out

not sure if he actually did this still curious about when gillis actually made an attempt to trade luongo or when he started telling teams he was available

Edited by captaincanuck88, 03 April 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#117 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,772 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Oh... no that's unfortunate. You have it very wrong.

PS. Luongo was stellar in both games he played.

Stellar? No wonder you think he's God. You've already declared him first star every game before the anthem is over.

In all fairness Lou's numbers were not good during that series but he played well. Stellar, no, but good to very good yes? He was not overly good in game two iirc.

#118 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,935 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Rumour from TSN was that Canucks offered Luongo for Scrivens and picks.

You guys can't tell me you'd be happy with that..
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#119 Milk Hot Dog

Milk Hot Dog

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

I think it's horrible for MG to come out after Lu and say they had been talking about deals with him from multiple teams. There is no reason for Lu to lie and say he had not been approached to wave for anyone, and to say it's a blow to his ego. It's not matching. FFS he said he would scrap his whole contract if he could just play. MG thinks he just needs time to to cool down... pshhh.
Nobody beats our Canucks' meat !

I don't typically make New Year's Resolutions, but the one thing I want to accomplish in 2012, aka the year of the MILK HOT DOG, is to ARREST SOMEONE. - Kevin WOLVERINE Bieksa (BEE-ecks-ah)

#120 Salo'sBomb

Salo'sBomb

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

Rumour from TSN was that Canucks offered Luongo for Scrivens and picks.

You guys can't tell me you'd be happy with that..

I actually would of depending on the picks. If we got a 1st back I would.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.