The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***Updated*** Emotional Roberto Luongo, "My Contract Sucks" - Continues To Wait For Trade

Vancouver Canucks 30

I'm siding with Luongo on this. Between the term, the cap circumvention, the captaincy, AV changing horses mid-race and the NTC, Gillis has mismanaged this goalie situation in every way possible. I don't blame Lou for feeling so down. It's not Lou's fault. Yes, he's had playoff issues, but he is a world class goalie. His contract dies suck. And yes, he didn't have to sign it, but when he did, he was told he is the main man and captain etc. Why would he have reason to believe this would change two years in?

Gillis is the one most responsible for this debaucle. Who on these boards would have turned down the contract Gillis layed out? Tha's right, not a single one.

I'm siding with Luongo on this. Between the term, the cap circumvention, the captaincy, AV changing horses mid-race and the NTC, Gillis has mismanaged this goalie situation in every way possible. I don't blame Lou for feeling so down. It's not Lou's fault. Yes, he's had playoff issues, but he is a world class goalie. His contract dies suck. And yes, he didn't have to sign it, but when he did, he was told he is the main man and captain etc. Why would he have reason to believe this would change two years in?

Gillis is the one most responsible for this debaucle. Who on these boards would have turned down the contract Gillis layed out? Tha's right, not a single one.

Guest Pinchin

Boy one thing's for sure, Luongo certainly does polarize some people. After reading some of the comments, I think I'm starting to understand. Some people HATE Luongo and literally want to make him feel as terrible as possible, others LOVE Luongo and want to give him warm and fuzzies while others just want to troll the first two types. It's pretty entertaining for the most part but some of you are taking it too far. It doesn't really matter what we think or say now, he's a Canuck until the end of the season at least and will back up Cory until he as a bad game, at which time he may get a few games in a row. The good news is, if we actually make the playoffs there will be no favorite goalie. A bad game will mean you don't start next game and a bad period SHOULD get you yanked, no more playoff blow-outs....I hope.

I find all these type of dramatic problems to be a common occurence with Canadian teams that have recently reached the finals.

Ever since the '94 finals, actually.

1994: Canucks lose to Rangers. Canucks implode with all sorts of drama. Economic factors at play though.

2004: 10 years later, Flames lose to Lightning. They never went anywhere since. Bad trades galore.

2006: Oilers lose to Canes. Then the blow up with dramatic fashion. Pronger. Bad contracts. etc.

2007: Sens lose to Ducks. Yup, blow up. Heatley fiasco etc.

2011: Canucks lose to Bruins. And what have we seen since? Drama, bad deals and failure.

We were supposed to be different. So far that has not happened. Too much drama. Too much failure.

There's hope for a 'dramatic turnaround' though. Let us pray.

...and that would have just gotten us to overtime...

Gillis is rolling the dice here. He's gambling that he'll be able to get at least as much in the summer for Louie as he could have today. If he can pull that off, (and I realize that's a big "if") then it makes sense to keep Luongo around for the rest of this season.

If nothing else, he's an excellent insurance policy in the event that Schneider is injured, or has some struggles with his game. He certainly has more immediate value to the team than Scrivens and a couple of mid-round picks.

I find all these type of dramatic problems to be a common occurence with Canadian teams that have recently reached the finals.

Ever since the '94 finals, actually.

1994: Canucks lose to Rangers. Canucks implode with all sorts of drama. Economic factors at play though.

2004: 10 years later, Flames lose to Lightning. They never went anywhere since. Bad trades galore.

2006: Oilers lose to Canes. Then the blow up with dramatic fashion. Pronger. Bad contracts. etc.

2007: Sens lose to Ducks. Yup, blow up. Heatley fiasco etc.

2011: Canucks lose to Bruins. And what have we seen since? Drama, bad deals and failure.

We were supposed to be different. So far that has not happened. Too much drama. Too much failure.

There's hope for a 'dramatic turnaround' though. Let us pray.

I've done my study and research and now I officially believe all ppl who are indian love lu. Heres why:

- luongo could pass as indian. Had a coworker amundeep who looked just like him

That's it. I will update my research further once I have more ground breaking evidence.

Shout out to kanucks1.

Oh, I see what you're saying. You thought that I literally thought Gillis wrote up a contract and sat it in front of Luongo for him to sign because I used the words "laid in front of him". I am aware that there were two parties who negotiated the final draft, but I assumed the term, the captaincy and the NTC were things that Gillis either offered or conceded on, since Luongo was traded here and was being wooed to stay. You see, I was being ffigurative. For example, the term burry the hatched does not mean that the two parties take a hatchet to a lot somewhere to dig a hole and drop a hatchet in it. Rather, it means to let bygones be bygones and not HOLD ON NEEDLESSLY to s childish grudge.

But I could see where one may inadvertantly take such a term as "laid out for him" to mean precidely and exactly that.

I believe the only way this ends with some kind of rational is if both sides restructure his contract to make it more attractive to other teams. It can be done. Both sides just have to agree to do so. I think the biggest hitch is Lou s agent. His fee is based on the term and value of the contract. Lou will still be liable for the full amount even if it is renegotiated.

Gillis will have to ask Aquilini to eat that monster contract this summer. I'd love to be in the room when that conversation goes down.

Serves Aqualini right though, for hiring a green gm and not hiring a consultant and doing a proper talent search for their new gm.

Gilles Lupien got over big on the inexperienced Gillis and now Aqualini will have to eat that mess.

Archived