42 replies to this topic

#1 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

Looking through the roster, besides the Sedins on 1st line I see a bunch of guys who can slide from 2nd to 4th line.

MG talked about money-ball players and that's what we have with this roster.

We have a ridiculous amount of guys who are solid 2 way players in
Burrows Kesler Hansen, Higgins, Lappiere, Raymond, Roy

The only guys with questionable defense are Kassian, Sestito, Pinzzo

I think if AV coaches this team properly, he should aim for 2-1 wins and play a solid defensive system.

I dont think its unreasonable to hope that Kesler's line is used as a a checking line against the opposition's top line.

Kes beat Toews line in our cup run. As long as his line outscores the opposition's top line and the
Sedins outscore the opposition's checking line then we can hope that Roy's Line and Lappy's line keeps the other team neutralized or give us a slight advantage.

Do I have rose colored glasses on?

I think this team actually suits AV's style much better than our teams of the past.

In terms of defence, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, Edler, Tanev and Ballard is a solid top 6

2 great goalies...

timie to grind out some wins in the playoffs

Edited by CanucksJay, 03 April 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#2 A Skylit Drive

A Skylit Drive

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Finally a positive thinker but I don't agree with you haha. I don't think it's a AV style team

Edited by A Skylit Drive, 03 April 2013 - 02:03 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImageRip Luc Bourdon Forever a canuck...

#3 gaydar

gaydar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Can we go with 4 skaters and 2 goalies on the ice?

#4 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Face it, the league starting making the game more about grit and toughness, than speed and skill over the last few seasons, and Gillis is struggling to cope with this. I liked the free-wheeling style of game, but all the headshots made the league react strangely. Instead of calling charging more, then allowed hooking and holding more. Gillis has had to try to add more grit since then, but it's not good enough for everyone I guess. We'll see what this team is made of. Go Canucks!

#5 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

We are in good shape once the injuries settle down.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#6 winter

winter

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

totally feel you, pens, blackhawks and bruins are toast :picard:

#7 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

I was really pissed when I found out we did nothing at the deadline.

But after I calmed down, I started thinking about this and it made me feel better.
I think we will surprise a lot of teams this playoffs.
We are going in as underdogs for the 1st time in a long time. It has a feeling like the season we beat Dallas in the 1st round and then lost to Anaheim in the 2nd round BUT, we actually have a much better roster now and I really think we can go to at least round 2 and possibly more

#8 Jagr68

Jagr68

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

I don't buy it, this team used to be a skill based team - I heard comparisons to Detroit before we went up against Boston. I honestly think the only piece this team is missing is a puck moving Dman and a middle 6 winger.

Gillis choked hard, we could have had Torres, Jokinen, or gone all out for Ott, but no, nothing.

On D? M.A. Bergeron would have been perfect to improve our Powerplay - Jamie Mcbain was also rumoured to be out there...so wtf?

#9 westvandude

westvandude

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

Agreed. No point being negative here. There are two possible cases:
1) Canucks will go deep in the playoffs
2) Canukcs will not go deep in the playoffs

Either way, if you're negative and depressed right now, you will be negative and depressed until June when you'll find out if you were right or not about the Canucks.

By being positive, we can at least enjoy the next 2 months, and then deal with the negativity if the 2nd scenario came true!

#10 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

totally feel you, pens, blackhawks and bruins are toast :picard:

If we meet either the Pens or the Bruins, that alone is a pretty big feat.

As for Chicago, I think the Canucks could surprise them.
We've played like absolute crap against them this year and still 1-0-1

Once the guys realize this team is what it is and they can only win by tightening up defensively and buy in to AV, we may actually go far

#11 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,582 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

POPULAR

It's not an AV team without Rome.
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#12 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

I don't buy it, this team used to be a skill based team - I heard comparisons to Detroit before we went up against Boston. I honestly think the only piece this team is missing is a puck moving Dman and a middle 6 winger.

Gillis choked hard, we could have had Torres, Jokinen, or gone all out for Ott, but no, nothing.

On D? M.A. Bergeron would have been perfect to improve our Powerplay - Jamie Mcbain was also rumoured to be out there...so wtf?

We used to be a skill based team. However since then, the league has allowed clutching and grabbing, turning blind eye on holds, etc.

This actually helps the make up of our team now as we should be looking to grind out wins

#13 Duda

Duda

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image

#14 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

Gillis sucks, the only thing he's good at is contracts because he was an agent.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#15 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

Posted Image

I honestly don't think we have a choice to run and gun anymore.
Our only option IS to trap with a 1-0 lead lol

#16 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

we couldn't continue to be a skill team - cause the NHL wants a return to the dead-puck era.

so... we are slowly evolving into a big mean slow boring team that can win (the only kind that "can" win in a dead-puck era). it will take a few years... A crash to the bottom of the league for a few years is just what this team needs in a few years - when this window is closed. cause what a big mean slow boring team needs is that draft pick to play like Pavel Bure and score enough goals to keep the team competitive...

although I would support a speed-skill-only style, and would prefer it...

Edited by canucksnihilist, 03 April 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#17 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

Exactly.

How luck, good and bad, with injuries is sooooo lost on people here is beyond comprehension.

Funnily enough with the OP, the Canucks have had to revert to defensive styles with all the injuries.

Now we will get to see the style of play that ive enjoyed the last few years.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#18 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

Posted Image

The Canucks dont trap.

Durrrrrrr.

Another myth.

Posted Image

#19 Bring_Back_Bertuzzi

Bring_Back_Bertuzzi

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

we need offence

luo_sig_with_words.jpg

#20 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • 6,582 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

The Canucks dont trap.

Durrrrrrr.

Another myth.

We don't trap, we just stop playing.
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#21 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

We don't trap, we just stop playing.

Much better assessment, C00KIES. Id add that they just fail to execute when they know the right way to play with the roster being so imbalanced.

Posted Image

#22 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

Looking through the roster, besides the Sedins on 1st line I see a bunch of guys who can slide from 2nd to 4th line.

MG talked about money-ball players and that's what we have with this roster.

We have a ridiculous amount of guys who are solid 2 way players in
Burrows Kesler Hansen, Higgins, Lappiere, Raymond, Roy

The only guys with questionable defense are Kassian, Sestito, Pinzzo

I think if AV coaches this team properly, he should aim for 2-1 wins and play a solid defensive system.

I dont think its unreasonable to hope that Kesler's line is used as a a checking line against the opposition's top line.

Kes beat Toews line in our cup run. As long as his line outscores the opposition's top line and the
Sedins outscore the opposition's checking line then we can hope that Roy's Line and Lappy's line keeps the other team neutralized or give us a slight advantage.

Do I have rose colored glasses on?

I think this team actually suits AV's style much better than our teams of the past.

In terms of defence, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, Edler, Tanev and Ballard is a solid top 6

2 great goalies...

timie to grind out some wins in the playoffs

Av's style??? Do you even know what that is?? Please explain?

I don't disagree with the fact this team has enough to step up and compete come playoff time, but I'm so tired of people talking about AV's style. If by AV's style you are talking about him being a defensive coach I will likely lose it, because it isn't remotely true.

#2 offensive in the league 3 years ago, #1 , 2 years ago, 5th last year. His system does ask for defensive responsibility, 1st forward back into the zone goes deep directly to the puck but after that it is a quick transition attack and possession offense. The forecheck is a 2-2-1 most of the time but they will fall into a 1-2-2 when we are short on personnel with speed to get in on the forecheck. We are aggressive but well-equipped to try and grind games out.

Sorry if my rant is misplaced. Just tired of the "Av is a defensive" coach crap that has been around since his first year when Nonis supplied the team with plenty of plugs as personnel.
Posted Image

#23 Dr. Hockey

Dr. Hockey

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

Finally a positive thinker but I don't agree with you haha. I don't think it's a AV style team

Not disagreeing with either of you, but what do you think is an AV style team, if there is such a thing? Just curious is all.

#24 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Gillis sucks, the only thing he's good at is contracts because he was an agent.

Other GM's smell the fear................
Kevin.jpg

#25 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

I don't disagree with the fact this team has enough to step up and compete come playoff time, but I'm so tired of people talking about AV's style. If by AV's style you are talking about him being a defensive coach I will likely lose it, because it isn't remotely true.

#2 offensive in the league 3 years ago, #1 , 2 years ago, 5th last year. His system does ask for defensive responsibility, 1st forward back into the zone goes deep directly to the puck but after that it is a quick transition attack and possession offense. The forecheck is a 2-2-1 most of the time but they will fall into a 1-2-2 when we are short on personnel with speed to get in on the forecheck. We are aggressive but well-equipped to try and grind games out.

Sorry if my rant is misplaced. Just tired of the "Av is a defensive" coach crap that has been around since his first year when Nonis supplied the team with plenty of plugs as personnel.

Fantastic reply. A Hockey answer too!!

Lately its been more a defensive posturing, sometimes with only certain lines.

But yeah, AV has coached a highly offensive style for quite some time now. with the injuries, its certainly more passive, but not this mythical defensive shell. Probably more Preds style lately than anything.

Posted Image

#26 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

Not disagreeing with either of you, but what do you think is an AV style team, if there is such a thing? Just curious is all.

Defensively? High % play down low, with the usual 3 system options, but predicated on the good first pass. Depending on the line, 1 forechecker in. But usually 2. Puck possesion. Emphasis on controlling the boards. Most of this predicated on winning face offs. D-men if they read the play correctly, are encouraged to be the 4th forward and rush the puck. With the speedier lines or players, the high % option of chip and chase.

The successful version of this team has a hallmark of relentless forchecking, usually able to switch to weakside lock when read correctly.

Offensively, 2 deep with emphasis on puck possession and high % plays utilizing safe passing options with the D-men. Face off wins to promote puck possession. The Sedins get a little more carte blanche with their style. The rest of the other lines have variances of style, but the main hallmark is using speed off the rush and puck retrieval.

Edited by BedBeats™2.0, 03 April 2013 - 02:45 PM.

Posted Image

#27 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

AV plays 1-2-2 most of the time not 2-2-1 which indicates he is more reserved and likes to clog up the neutral zone.

He rarely goes 2-2-1 and if we have a lead, forget about it. It's definitely 1-2-2 but the forechecker is passive and in the high slot rather than deep in.

Moreover, if he's such an offensive genius, how are we so horrible on the PP? Because he leaves that up to Brown? Shouldn't he step in if it sucks this badly?

#28 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,648 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

Except no one got McBain and the asking price was ridiculous. Unfortunately it was a weak buyers market and I'd rather Gillis stand pat then waste future assets for a band aid fix.

How fast people forget Weinrich, Carney, Smolinski, Rucinsky, Brown and the rest of the crap band aid fixes this team has gone for.

I would even argue in a cap world realistically a 3rd is too much for Torres a 5th rounder I'd be ok with but IMO I'd rather keep the picks in the 1st-4th rounds unless it was a real top six impact player.

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#29 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

He built an AV style team, but AV doesn't have the right players to succeed?

So if AV were fired, MG would have done a better job building the team?
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#30 Guest_Pinchin_*

Guest_Pinchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

AV loves tough defensive minded players...plugs like Rome, ya know?. We don't have an AV type team, we have a MG type team, which means on a spreadsheet we look AWESOME but on the ice we look disjointed. Until AV and MG start "sharing the vision" and the two starting goalies are addressed, there will continue to be a faction in the locker room who will secretly be frustrated, and it will result in a continued lack of cohesion. It's not AV's "fault" per-see, but he has lost some of the room at best, and most of the room at worst. I hope we can pull out of this funk in time to be the LA KIngs of last year, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.