The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Face it folks, MG built an AV style team

CanucksJay

Looking through the roster, besides the Sedins on 1st line I see a bunch of guys who can slide from 2nd to 4th line.

MG talked about money-ball players and that's what we have with this roster.

We have a ridiculous amount of guys who are solid 2 way players in

Burrows Kesler Hansen, Higgins, Lappiere, Raymond, Roy

The only guys with questionable defense are Kassian, Sestito, Pinzzo

I think if AV coaches this team properly, he should aim for 2-1 wins and play a solid defensive system.

I dont think its unreasonable to hope that Kesler's line is used as a a checking line against the opposition's top line.

Kes beat Toews line in our cup run. As long as his line outscores the opposition's top line and the

Sedins outscore the opposition's checking line then we can hope that Roy's Line and Lappy's line keeps the other team neutralized or give us a slight advantage.

Do I have rose colored glasses on?

I think this team actually suits AV's style much better than our teams of the past.

In terms of defence, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, Edler, Tanev and Ballard is a solid top 6

2 great goalies...

timie to grind out some wins in the playoffs

Av's style??? Do you even know what that is?? Please explain?

I don't disagree with the fact this team has enough to step up and compete come playoff time, but I'm so tired of people talking about AV's style. If by AV's style you are talking about him being a defensive coach I will likely lose it, because it isn't remotely true.

#2 offensive in the league 3 years ago, #1 , 2 years ago, 5th last year. His system does ask for defensive responsibility, 1st forward back into the zone goes deep directly to the puck but after that it is a quick transition attack and possession offense. The forecheck is a 2-2-1 most of the time but they will fall into a 1-2-2 when we are short on personnel with speed to get in on the forecheck. We are aggressive but well-equipped to try and grind games out.

Sorry if my rant is misplaced. Just tired of the "Av is a defensive" coach crap that has been around since his first year when Nonis supplied the team with plenty of plugs as personnel.

Av's style??? Do you even know what that is?? Please explain?

I don't disagree with the fact this team has enough to step up and compete come playoff time, but I'm so tired of people talking about AV's style. If by AV's style you are talking about him being a defensive coach I will likely lose it, because it isn't remotely true.

#2 offensive in the league 3 years ago, #1 , 2 years ago, 5th last year. His system does ask for defensive responsibility, 1st forward back into the zone goes deep directly to the puck but after that it is a quick transition attack and possession offense. The forecheck is a 2-2-1 most of the time but they will fall into a 1-2-2 when we are short on personnel with speed to get in on the forecheck. We are aggressive but well-equipped to try and grind games out.

Sorry if my rant is misplaced. Just tired of the "Av is a defensive" coach crap that has been around since his first year when Nonis supplied the team with plenty of plugs as personnel.

I don't buy it, this team used to be a skill based team - I heard comparisons to Detroit before we went up against Boston. I honestly think the only piece this team is missing is a puck moving Dman and a middle 6 winger.

Gillis choked hard, we could have had Torres, Jokinen, or gone all out for Ott, but no, nothing.

On D? M.A. Bergeron would have been perfect to improve our Powerplay - Jamie Mcbain was also rumoured to be out there...so wtf?

Guest Pinchin

AV loves tough defensive minded players...plugs like Rome, ya know?. We don't have an AV type team, we have a MG type team, which means on a spreadsheet we look AWESOME but on the ice we look disjointed. Until AV and MG start "sharing the vision" and the two starting goalies are addressed, there will continue to be a faction in the locker room who will secretly be frustrated, and it will result in a continued lack of cohesion. It's not AV's "fault" per-see, but he has lost some of the room at best, and most of the room at worst. I hope we can pull out of this funk in time to be the LA KIngs of last year, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Just curious here: what would you have given up to get these guys?

Torres went for a 3rd. The Coyotes 3rd is, as the standings currently sit, a couple of places higher than what the Canucks' 3rd would be. What would you add to the Canucks' 3rd to get Torres? I can't say I've seen what the conditional pick is for Jokinen, but please indicate what you would have given to get him.

What would you have been willing to give to get Ott? I suspect that it would have to be more than a 2nd and a prospect (what the Canucks paid to get Roy, who was dealt for Ott).

regards,

G.

i think MG could have offered a 2nd for Torres and a 4th or 5th. he would have been a nice addition but I guess the right price just wasn't there. just a little weird considering our 3rd round draft pick is very close to san jose's, and it depends where we both finish in playoffs....

i think MG could have offered a 2nd for Torres and a 4th or 5th. he would have been a nice addition but I guess the right price just wasn't there. just a little weird considering our 3rd round draft pick is very close to san jose's, and it depends where we both finish in playoffs....

Archived