The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Far Will The Canucks Go (Post-Trade Deadline)?

westvandude

How far will the Canucks go in 2013 Playoffs?  

340 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

in my eyes, on paper, this team is close to being AS GOOD as our 2011 group. if they can figure out the PP, start scoring goals on a consistent basis like they're capable of, they have the talent to make the conference finals... and who knows what happens from there.

anything can happen, got to get the ball rolling this month, be firing on all cylinders come May.

How can people not think that this team can go far in the playoffs? Have some damn faith. 20-11-6 with our best all-around player injured for 30 games...health is the issue and if things go our way down the stretch I'm very confident we will go far.

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Alex Burrows

Chris Higgins - Ryan Kesler - Zack Kassian

Mason Raymond - Derek Roy - Jannik Hansen

Steve Pinizzotto - Max Lapierre - Dale Wiese / David Booth

Dan Hamhuis - Jason Garrison

Alex Edler - Kevin Bieksa

Cam Barker / Andrew Alberts / Keith Ballard - Chris Tanev

Cory Schneider/Roberto Luongo

There are significant differences between the 'cup run' team (2011) and this current one. Their 3rd and 4th lines are significant upgrades on the 'cup run' team. First of all, they didn't even have a 4th line that yr. This yr, 2 of 3 fourth liners are Pkers and eat heavy d-zone starts - meaning they actually play important mins. Lappy was the 3C that yr, centering Hansen and Torres. Booth and Roy are significant upgrades to Lappy and Torres - it's not even close.

2011 team and current one have almost identical puck possession #'s. They scored more goals that yr, but it's only cause Sedin/Kesler had career yrs. They have sooooo much more depth now than they did that yr and a much stronger defensive back end. Not to mention to strong goaltenders.

The major difference is there 'appears' to be better teams in the league this season vs. 2011. I say 'appear' cause it's such a small sample size due to shortened season. Teams like Chi, Tor, Ana, Pitts are riding very unsustainable underlying #'s right now, something which we'd see 'even out' over an 82 game season.

This is a very good team. Unfortunately, we haven't seen it's best yet due to injures and small sample sizes. I honestly think the best is yet to come, the underlying #'s support me.

All depends on injuries. Simple. The healthiest team wins the Cup. If the standings stay as is (likely), I expect this to happen (assuming all teams are healthy):

Chicago beats Detroit

Anaheim beats Minnesota

Vancouver beats Los Angeles

St Louis beats San Jose

---

St Louis beats Chicago

Vancouver beats Anaheim

---

Vancouver beats St Louis

---

Pittsburgh sweeps Vancouver.

I dont think this team can do it but you never know.

Biggest factors in winning the cup in my view

1. Getting hot as a team at the right time

2. Getting world class, steal game/series goaltending

3. Staying healthy

In our run in 2011 we got number 1 and 2 and as the playoffs progressed #3 fell away and we saw what the difference was when we got to the finals vs a very healthy Bruins team.

I look around the league and see teams now losing key players and having to deal with it, Pitts - Crosby and now Neal, Toronto - Lupul, Boston - Bergeron with another concussion, LA - Penner, Greene, Mitchell, on and on...key guys now out indefintately.

We should be 100% healthy, barring any more freak situations going into the playoffs ex Booth.

I like what Roy has brought in (at least game one). He really sparked the club back to playing the kind of offensive, get in the face of opposition with speed type game that this team was built on.

Along the way, either coaching, injuries, reaction to Boston, we seem to have lost that, played tentative vs attack etc. We used to attack and depend on our goalie (lou) to make some big saves. Somewhere we stopped. Was that out of a team losing confidence in Lou? Was it because of injuries? Was it bc of our roster? Who knows.

That being said Roy, his swagger (which I like, we needed a bit of cockiness back in our lineup) seems to have jolted us back to that, at least for one game.

With Kelser coming in, AV feeling more confident with his lineup that we can play a speed game, who knows.

If we cant win with size, and hitting folks, use the hand you have, its speed and skill. If Roy has sparked that back into the collective mentality, i'd be happy to see this team play track meet hockey and see where it goes. Why?

Well lets revisit

1. Get hot at the right time. Well if we can start playing that offensive game an get our confidence back, which seems to be the biggest issue, not talent, size maybe but confidence as a group has been lacking, well scoring brings that back, makes teams play smart and loose and thats when teams get hot vs pressing too much. Play the game you were designed to play and maybe you get hot.

2. Get great goaltending, we have that - WHOMEVER is in net, either of those boys can stand on their heads when it comes time.

3. Staying healthy, a wild card but we're getting there.

I think we lack size, i've questioned the heart on this team (and maybe incorrectly, perhaps it was a lack of confidence), but if we play our game, ya never know.

I never say never with this team because I know one thing about the Vancouver Canuck from watching them for 30+ years. When you count em out, when you push them down, that for some odd reason, is when they surprise you.

I always think with our core, we will go deep. However we need to be fit because we are not a natural "best of 7" team.

Part of our problem I feel is that most of the teams in the playoffs see only one way to beat us and that is to pummel us into a state of injury.

On our day and when fit I don't see many teams who can compete on a hockey level. Chicago, Pens, Edmonton, Detroit and maybe Canadiens and the Ducks.

At the end of the day no one in their right mind would count us out. There is far too much talent in the team for that.

This is the team that if fit would excite me.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Raymond - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins - Roy - Hansen

Booth - Lapierre - Weise / Pinizzotto / Sestito.

Hamhuis - Garrison

Bieksa - Edler

Ballard - Tanev

Lu/Schneider.

I always think with our core, we will go deep. However we need to be fit because we are not a natural "best of 7" team.

Part of our problem I feel is that most of the teams in the playoffs see only one way to beat us and that is to pummel us into a state of injury.

On our day and when fit I don't see many teams who can compete on a hockey level. Chicago, Pens, Edmonton, Detroit and maybe Canadiens and the Ducks.

At the end of the day no one in their right mind would count us out. There is far too much talent in the team for that.

This is the team that if fit would excite me.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Raymond - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins - Roy - Hansen

Booth - Lapierre - Weise / Pinizzotto / Sestito.

Hamhuis - Garrison

Bieksa - Edler

Ballard - Tanev

Lu/Schneider.

completely serious... compare the two lineups:

Forwards:

Lost> Samuellsson (who only played 11 games in 2011 playoffs), Torres, Hodgson (only played 12 playoff games), Glass, Oreskovich .... this group tallied just 11 pts total during playoff run.

Added> Roy, Kassian, Sestito, Weise, and a very improved Hansen

Defense:

Lost> Ehrhoff (biggest loss by far), Salo, Rome

Added> Garrison, a very improved Tanev (who only played 4 games in 2011 run)

Goalie:

> This is pretty much a wash. Although you could make the argument that collectively, Schneider and Luongo are better now than they were in 2011.

on paper, this group comparable to 2011 group in talent. just have to put it all together like they did in 2011 which they have yet to do this year. the potential is there though.

Had they aquired a guy like Morrow, I would have said they had a shot at it; they are missing the required grit, and never found a solid forward on the wing. I hope they can prove me wrong though. Another gritty center could have also worked, then Kes could move on the wing and play with Roy. I know deals were tough to come by at D-day.. it will have to do. I wonder what Morrow would have cost..?

I think this team is as good as 2011 team. Got to remember the difference Kesler will make on pp etc.

We gained size in Sestito who may not put the puck in like say Torres but now you have Kassian who is physical and can score. Biggest loss is Erhoff and Salo but if Garrison can start clicking on pp he will replace Salo, and is a more capable defender than Erhoff. Derek Roy could possibly be the best 3rd line centre we've ever had. Hansen and Raymond have really picked their game up as well. This team just needs to get healthy . I have faith. No first round exit this year, quote me on it.

It continues to amaze me how negative people are on this forum. People saying that they will be out of the playoffs in the first round and on the golf course in no time are clueless.

Injuries are the only reason why the Canucks are not at the top of the West with Chicago right now and once their players are back from injury they have a legitimate chance at going deep in the playoffs.

Yes the Canucks might not be in atop the Western Conference this year, but one thing you have to look at is the depth on this squad. THEY HAVE 8 20+ GOAL SCORERS! One of those might end up playing on the fourth line when he comes back from injury(Booth). What other teams have 20 goal scorers on the fourth line?

we're pretenders until we find a replacement for ehrhoff, we need that dynamic, fast, playmaking defenceman who can rush the puck from one end to other and quarterback the powerplay. salo semi-filled the hole last year, and garrison simply isnt that player. the only player close to that on the team is ballard and its fantasy to think hes going to assume the #1 role come playoffs.

static defencemen(you know exactly what they're gonna do): hamhuis, garrison, edler, tanev, alberts, barker.

dynamic defencemen: bieksa, ballard.

Ehrhoff has kept pace scoring wise without the sedins. the sedins on the other hand have dropped to ppg players. ironically for once they played with a player that made them better, as opposed to the other way around.

we're pretenders until we find a replacement for ehrhoff, we need that dynamic, fast, playmaking defenceman who can rush the puck from one end to other and quarterback the powerplay. salo semi-filled the hole last year, and garrison simply isnt that player. the only player close to that on the team is ballard and its fantasy to think hes going to assume the #1 role come playoffs.

static defencemen(you know exactly what they're gonna do): hamhuis, garrison, edler, tanev, alberts, barker.

dynamic defencemen: bieksa, ballard.

Ehrhoff has kept pace scoring wise without the sedins. the sedins on the other hand have dropped to ppg players. ironically for once they played with a player that made them better, as opposed to the other way around.

I personally thought we had pretty solid chance at the cup, as some did mention that majority of the 2011 members are still here. The effect of not having Kesler a 3rd line centerman, and no 2nd line to our team this whole year, has greatly effected where we are in the Standings. to be honest, I think we will be probably 2nd place, much ahead of Minnesota and competing with Anahiem for the 2nd spot if not for our Injuries.

When we waived Cam Barker I was like OH crap! ANOTHER DMAN IS COMING! HELL YEA SOMETHING IS GOING TO BE DONE. but nope. To be honest, a dman is more important to us then someone like Raffi Torres, I wouldn't mind having him back, I also wouldn't mind if the Canucks somehow traded for Ehrhoff. Ever since we lost him our powerplay in general has taken a huge hit in decline. There 's no dman that can move the puck around as well as he does, or get a shot quickly enough as fast as Ehrhoff. I really hope the Vancouver Canucks can pick up an offensive dman somehow.

But I think they will be knocked out in round 2. If we play the Kings in round 1, oh gosh... please no... we might play the sharks too, oh gosh again!!!! It's going to be tough. We need a healthy roster by game 1 of the playoffs or else I am expecting a round 1 exit.

All depends on health.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Roy - Hansen

Pinizotto - Lapierre - Weise

Ebbet/Pinozotto/Sestito

Hamhuis - Garrison

Edler - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts/Barker

Plus Schroeder, Jensen waiting in the wings and hopefully Booth returning looks really solid on paper. If they come together I think they could make a go of it. However, it always comes down to health with the Canucks. In the 2010-11 playoffs, they ran out of healthy bodies. They need to avoid injuries if they're going to be successful. And any injury to the backend will pretty much kill their chances.

The key for me will be Schneider. If he gets hot literally anything can happen but I fear he will heat up and then cool down and that the team will be unable to cope when that happens. So maybe he wins us the first round all by himself and then we crash back to earth when we meet a really good team that's playing well. We are still nowhere near tough enough and are still relying too much on guile as opposed to grit. Too many rats, not enough gorillas.

Archived