Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

How Far Will The Canucks Go (Post-Trade Deadline)?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: How far will the Canucks go in 2013 Playoffs? (340 member(s) have cast votes)

How far will the Canucks go in 2013 Playoffs? (Your View Post Trade Deadline)

1. Miss The Playoffs (2 votes [0.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.59%

2. Early Exit (1st or 2nd Round Exit) (147 votes [43.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.24%

3. Late Exit (Conference Final or Stanley Cup Final Loss) (95 votes [27.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.94%

4. Win the Cup or Come Very Close (96 votes [28.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.24%

What Your Expectation Was At The Beginning of the Season?

1. Miss The Playoffs (6 votes [1.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.76%

2. Early Exit (1st or 2nd Round Exit) (129 votes [37.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.94%

3. Late Exit (Conference Final or Stanley Cup Final Loss) (103 votes [30.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.29%

4. Win the Cup or Come Very Close (102 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

in my eyes, on paper, this team is close to being AS GOOD as our 2011 group. if they can figure out the PP, start scoring goals on a consistent basis like they're capable of, they have the talent to make the conference finals... and who knows what happens from there.

anything can happen, got to get the ball rolling this month, be firing on all cylinders come May.

Stanley cups have never been won on paper , This team is no wheres to be playing the same as the 2011 version not even close . We led the league in goals and fewest goals aloud had the best PP and top 3 PK that year
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#62 Sarai_132

Sarai_132

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

How can people not think that this team can go far in the playoffs? Have some damn faith. 20-11-6 with our best all-around player injured for 30 games...health is the issue and if things go our way down the stretch I'm very confident we will go far.

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Alex Burrows
Chris Higgins - Ryan Kesler - Zack Kassian
Mason Raymond - Derek Roy - Jannik Hansen
Steve Pinizzotto - Max Lapierre - Dale Wiese / David Booth

Dan Hamhuis - Jason Garrison
Alex Edler - Kevin Bieksa
Cam Barker / Andrew Alberts / Keith Ballard - Chris Tanev

Cory Schneider/Roberto Luongo

#63 ikillchicken

ikillchicken

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:13 AM

Stanley cups have never been won on paper , This team is no wheres to be playing the same as the 2011 version not even close . We led the league in goals and fewest goals aloud had the best PP and top 3 PK that year

Stanley cups have never been won based on regualr season records and stats either. If they we're, we'd have one. And LA wouldn't.

We've played almost literally this entire season with only one top 9 calibre center. After that, it has been a collection of spare parts and prospects who aren't there yet. But a week from now we'll have Sedin, Kesler, Roy. I don't think there is a team out there better down the middle besides maybe Pittsburgh and then only by virtue of having such a strong 1/2 group. Sure, if we continue to play poorly over the next month, even after Kesler comes back and right up till playoff time there will be cause for concern. But for now, I still think we're a very good team and a serious contender.

#64 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,405 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:09 AM

There are significant differences between the 'cup run' team (2011) and this current one. Their 3rd and 4th lines are significant upgrades on the 'cup run' team. First of all, they didn't even have a 4th line that yr. This yr, 2 of 3 fourth liners are Pkers and eat heavy d-zone starts - meaning they actually play important mins. Lappy was the 3C that yr, centering Hansen and Torres. Booth and Roy are significant upgrades to Lappy and Torres - it's not even close.

2011 team and current one have almost identical puck possession #'s. They scored more goals that yr, but it's only cause Sedin/Kesler had career yrs. They have sooooo much more depth now than they did that yr and a much stronger defensive back end. Not to mention to strong goaltenders.

The major difference is there 'appears' to be better teams in the league this season vs. 2011. I say 'appear' cause it's such a small sample size due to shortened season. Teams like Chi, Tor, Ana, Pitts are riding very unsustainable underlying #'s right now, something which we'd see 'even out' over an 82 game season.

This is a very good team. Unfortunately, we haven't seen it's best yet due to injures and small sample sizes. I honestly think the best is yet to come, the underlying #'s support me.

#65 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,299 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:40 AM

All depends on injuries. Simple. The healthiest team wins the Cup. If the standings stay as is (likely), I expect this to happen (assuming all teams are healthy):

Chicago beats Detroit
Anaheim beats Minnesota
Vancouver beats Los Angeles
St Louis beats San Jose
---
St Louis beats Chicago
Vancouver beats Anaheim
---
Vancouver beats St Louis
---
Pittsburgh sweeps Vancouver.
Posted Image

#66 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

I dont think this team can do it but you never know.

Biggest factors in winning the cup in my view

1. Getting hot as a team at the right time
2. Getting world class, steal game/series goaltending
3. Staying healthy

In our run in 2011 we got number 1 and 2 and as the playoffs progressed #3 fell away and we saw what the difference was when we got to the finals vs a very healthy Bruins team.

I look around the league and see teams now losing key players and having to deal with it, Pitts - Crosby and now Neal, Toronto - Lupul, Boston - Bergeron with another concussion, LA - Penner, Greene, Mitchell, on and on...key guys now out indefintately.

We should be 100% healthy, barring any more freak situations going into the playoffs ex Booth.

I like what Roy has brought in (at least game one). He really sparked the club back to playing the kind of offensive, get in the face of opposition with speed type game that this team was built on.

Along the way, either coaching, injuries, reaction to Boston, we seem to have lost that, played tentative vs attack etc. We used to attack and depend on our goalie (lou) to make some big saves. Somewhere we stopped. Was that out of a team losing confidence in Lou? Was it because of injuries? Was it bc of our roster? Who knows.

That being said Roy, his swagger (which I like, we needed a bit of cockiness back in our lineup) seems to have jolted us back to that, at least for one game.

With Kelser coming in, AV feeling more confident with his lineup that we can play a speed game, who knows.

If we cant win with size, and hitting folks, use the hand you have, its speed and skill. If Roy has sparked that back into the collective mentality, i'd be happy to see this team play track meet hockey and see where it goes. Why?

Well lets revisit

1. Get hot at the right time. Well if we can start playing that offensive game an get our confidence back, which seems to be the biggest issue, not talent, size maybe but confidence as a group has been lacking, well scoring brings that back, makes teams play smart and loose and thats when teams get hot vs pressing too much. Play the game you were designed to play and maybe you get hot.

2. Get great goaltending, we have that - WHOMEVER is in net, either of those boys can stand on their heads when it comes time.

3. Staying healthy, a wild card but we're getting there.

I think we lack size, i've questioned the heart on this team (and maybe incorrectly, perhaps it was a lack of confidence), but if we play our game, ya never know.

I never say never with this team because I know one thing about the Vancouver Canuck from watching them for 30+ years. When you count em out, when you push them down, that for some odd reason, is when they surprise you.

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 06 April 2013 - 06:17 AM.

#67 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

I always think with our core, we will go deep. However we need to be fit because we are not a natural "best of 7" team.

Part of our problem I feel is that most of the teams in the playoffs see only one way to beat us and that is to pummel us into a state of injury.

On our day and when fit I don't see many teams who can compete on a hockey level. Chicago, Pens, Edmonton, Detroit and maybe Canadiens and the Ducks.

At the end of the day no one in their right mind would count us out. There is far too much talent in the team for that.

This is the team that if fit would excite me.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Raymond - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins - Roy - Hansen

Booth - Lapierre - Weise / Pinizzotto / Sestito.

Hamhuis - Garrison
Bieksa - Edler
Ballard - Tanev

Lu/Schneider.

Edited by Bodee, 06 April 2013 - 07:01 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#68 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

I always think with our core, we will go deep. However we need to be fit because we are not a natural "best of 7" team.

Part of our problem I feel is that most of the teams in the playoffs see only one way to beat us and that is to pummel us into a state of injury.

On our day and when fit I don't see many teams who can compete on a hockey level. Chicago, Pens, Edmonton, Detroit and maybe Canadiens and the Ducks.

At the end of the day no one in their right mind would count us out. There is far too much talent in the team for that.

This is the team that if fit would excite me.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Raymond - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins - Roy - Hansen

Booth - Lapierre - Weise / Pinizzotto / Sestito.

Hamhuis - Garrison
Bieksa - Edler
Ballard - Tanev

Lu/Schneider.

I agree, thats the tactic teams will take. Their view will be

"They are smaller, we saw what Boston did so do the same"

Teams have 2 cards against us

1. Try and beat us to submission and given our pp woes I expect this to be the first tactic if they have size. Our PP MUST find its game before the playoffs if we have any hope, we all know this, many games are won by special teams in the playoffs.

This will be helped by Kelser returning and by Roy, so my hope is it will sort itself.

2. Push our d hard with a 2 man forecheck. Smaller teams that don't have the size advantage will attempt this, ie Chicago, we saw Edm try last week, Boston did it, etc etc. Need to find the answer there and that is on our, Dmen, or forwards to learn how to break that press and counter. If we do, with the speed on this team with a healthy Kelser back, Mayray, and the addition of Roy, we can certainly make some teams pay, but thats a big if, need to learn to do that, and we've not been successful at it for years.

Alot of ifs, but most teams have those too.

I do like this

1. Our playoff experience

2. The fact this team has taken a bit of a beating in the media, etc, it may just be under their skin now, give them something to prove and we needed that, we needed to get out of this, we are a great team attitude, not great till you win a cup, and maybe the shine is finally rubbing off in the player's eyes

3. While we dont have alot of size, we do have gritty players. Kelser, the Sedins have learned to battle, Burrows is as tenacious as they come, Higgins, Hansen, Lappy, when on their games get in peoples faces and make it tough to play and are not 'small'. They just aren't bruising hitters. But from playing the game, I can tell you there are two ways you get tired and run down. One being hit, two, having a guy who can skate with you and makes you fight for space, room to make plays etc, and is tough enough to be on your back. They may not be big but they can be very tough to play against, again if they play their game.

#69 OncebeforeIdie

OncebeforeIdie

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

completely serious... compare the two lineups:

Forwards:
Lost> Samuellsson (who only played 11 games in 2011 playoffs), Torres, Hodgson (only played 12 playoff games), Glass, Oreskovich .... this group tallied just 11 pts total during playoff run.

Added> Roy, Kassian, Sestito, Weise, and a very improved Hansen

Defense:
Lost> Ehrhoff (biggest loss by far), Salo, Rome

Added> Garrison, a very improved Tanev (who only played 4 games in 2011 run)

Goalie:
> This is pretty much a wash. Although you could make the argument that collectively, Schneider and Luongo are better now than they were in 2011.

on paper, this group comparable to 2011 group in talent. just have to put it all together like they did in 2011 which they have yet to do this year. the potential is there though.

On paper this may be true, but you need to consider that...Kesler hasn't played a healthy hockey game since the Nashville series, if Booth even returns this year at all he will be a non-factor having been hurt most of the year, Bieksa has been nursing a nagging groin injury for what seems like months, Kassian has been mismanaged by AV to the point of having little to no confidence to make a consistent contribution, Gillis couldn't close on a Clowe/Torres type player meaning that we will be the team getting run over not the other way around, the twins are two years older and non-existent on the PP most nights, etc., etc, etc. Schneider might carry this team past the first round, but I will be shocked if we are healthy or balanced enough to go much past that.

#70 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

Looks great on paper (when all healthy) but we'll have to see how Kesler performs when he gets back. He has had a tough year with injuries so he will definitely be a pretty big couple of steps behind...

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#71 Wasaslapshot89

Wasaslapshot89

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

lol @ San Jose getting Torres for a 3rd rounder...Gillis couldn't have swung that?

seems like he was sleeping in the war room instead of making the deals we needed

#72 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

It's almost impossible for the Canucks to win the cup with how bad and biased the officiating is.

Good teams lose because of the officiating

Great teams overcome the officiating
Posted Image

#73 soulman

soulman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

Had they aquired a guy like Morrow, I would have said they had a shot at it; they are missing the required grit, and never found a solid forward on the wing. I hope they can prove me wrong though. Another gritty center could have also worked, then Kes could move on the wing and play with Roy. I know deals were tough to come by at D-day.. it will have to do. I wonder what Morrow would have cost..?

#74 rfus88

rfus88

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

I think this team is as good as 2011 team. Got to remember the difference Kesler will make on pp etc.
We gained size in Sestito who may not put the puck in like say Torres but now you have Kassian who is physical and can score. Biggest loss is Erhoff and Salo but if Garrison can start clicking on pp he will replace Salo, and is a more capable defender than Erhoff. Derek Roy could possibly be the best 3rd line centre we've ever had. Hansen and Raymond have really picked their game up as well. This team just needs to get healthy . I have faith. No first round exit this year, quote me on it.

Edited by rfus88, 06 April 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#75 Assistant GM

Assistant GM

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

It continues to amaze me how negative people are on this forum. People saying that they will be out of the playoffs in the first round and on the golf course in no time are clueless.

Injuries are the only reason why the Canucks are not at the top of the West with Chicago right now and once their players are back from injury they have a legitimate chance at going deep in the playoffs.

Yes the Canucks might not be in atop the Western Conference this year, but one thing you have to look at is the depth on this squad. THEY HAVE 8 20+ GOAL SCORERS! One of those might end up playing on the fourth line when he comes back from injury(Booth). What other teams have 20 goal scorers on the fourth line?

Edited by Assistant GM, 06 April 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#76 Jacare

Jacare

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

we're pretenders until we find a replacement for ehrhoff, we need that dynamic, fast, playmaking defenceman who can rush the puck from one end to other and quarterback the powerplay. salo semi-filled the hole last year, and garrison simply isnt that player. the only player close to that on the team is ballard and its fantasy to think hes going to assume the #1 role come playoffs.

static defencemen(you know exactly what they're gonna do): hamhuis, garrison, edler, tanev, alberts, barker.
dynamic defencemen: bieksa, ballard.

Ehrhoff has kept pace scoring wise without the sedins. the sedins on the other hand have dropped to ppg players. ironically for once they played with a player that made them better, as opposed to the other way around.

#77 rfus88

rfus88

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

we're pretenders until we find a replacement for ehrhoff, we need that dynamic, fast, playmaking defenceman who can rush the puck from one end to other and quarterback the powerplay. salo semi-filled the hole last year, and garrison simply isnt that player. the only player close to that on the team is ballard and its fantasy to think hes going to assume the #1 role come playoffs.

static defencemen(you know exactly what they're gonna do): hamhuis, garrison, edler, tanev, alberts, barker.
dynamic defencemen: bieksa, ballard.

Ehrhoff has kept pace scoring wise without the sedins. the sedins on the other hand have dropped to ppg players. ironically for once they played with a player that made them better, as opposed to the other way around.

Yes Ehrhoff was great on pp and rushing the puck but we still had a great season last year but couldn't sustain in playoffs due to SCF hangover , LA being hot at right time , no Daniel for first 3 games , etc. I think this shortened season plays perfectly for us , a team that generally has issues with injuries. If Kesler can regain form and stay healthy along with majority of team I am really excited for what we can do .

Just a comparison of the negativity of this board compared to HF boards is astounding

#78 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

I personally thought we had pretty solid chance at the cup, as some did mention that majority of the 2011 members are still here. The effect of not having Kesler a 3rd line centerman, and no 2nd line to our team this whole year, has greatly effected where we are in the Standings. to be honest, I think we will be probably 2nd place, much ahead of Minnesota and competing with Anahiem for the 2nd spot if not for our Injuries.

When we waived Cam Barker I was like OH crap! ANOTHER DMAN IS COMING! HELL YEA SOMETHING IS GOING TO BE DONE. but nope. To be honest, a dman is more important to us then someone like Raffi Torres, I wouldn't mind having him back, I also wouldn't mind if the Canucks somehow traded for Ehrhoff. Ever since we lost him our powerplay in general has taken a huge hit in decline. There 's no dman that can move the puck around as well as he does, or get a shot quickly enough as fast as Ehrhoff. I really hope the Vancouver Canucks can pick up an offensive dman somehow.

But I think they will be knocked out in round 2. If we play the Kings in round 1, oh gosh... please no... we might play the sharks too, oh gosh again!!!! It's going to be tough. We need a healthy roster by game 1 of the playoffs or else I am expecting a round 1 exit.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#79 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

All depends on health.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Roy - Hansen
Pinizotto - Lapierre - Weise
Ebbet/Pinozotto/Sestito

Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Bieksa
Ballard - Tanev
Alberts/Barker

Plus Schroeder, Jensen waiting in the wings and hopefully Booth returning looks really solid on paper. If they come together I think they could make a go of it. However, it always comes down to health with the Canucks. In the 2010-11 playoffs, they ran out of healthy bodies. They need to avoid injuries if they're going to be successful. And any injury to the backend will pretty much kill their chances.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#80 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

The key for me will be Schneider. If he gets hot literally anything can happen but I fear he will heat up and then cool down and that the team will be unable to cope when that happens. So maybe he wins us the first round all by himself and then we crash back to earth when we meet a really good team that's playing well. We are still nowhere near tough enough and are still relying too much on guile as opposed to grit. Too many rats, not enough gorillas.

#81 canucksnhl

canucksnhl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

If we have a full line-up, Stanley Cup finals or bust. We should be able to get at least past the Western Conference finals, even if it's against Chicago. We play our best games against the Blackhawks.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#82 Canuckesler

Canuckesler

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

If we have a full line-up, Stanley Cup finals or bust. We should be able to get at least past the Western Conference finals, even if it's against Chicago. We play our best games against the Blackhawks.

i agree 100% when kesler comes back too well be even stronger, i can see us going very far as long as schneider can keep the confidence and play like the #1 goalie.

derek roy is a big asset just like kesler with them both well be much stronger 2nd and 3rd line and finally we can have 4 strong lines with good chemistry

#83 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

We have still not addressed the weaknesses of this team from last year - except for replacing Salo with Garrison. We still are weak in the middle unless the real Kesler can show up after recovering from his latest injury. We still don't have effective muscle. And we still don't have a legit power forward - something Booth absolutely is not.

At least we have settled on the right number one goalie - which might be enough to get us through the first round. I don't see us getting much further against another physical team - like LA was last year.

#84 rfus88

rfus88

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

We have still not addressed the weaknesses of this team from last year - except for replacing Salo with Garrison. We still are weak in the middle unless the real Kesler can show up after recovering from his latest injury. We still don't have effective muscle. And we still don't have a legit power forward - something Booth absolutely is not.

At least we have settled on the right number one goalie - which might be enough to get us through the first round. I don't see us getting much further against another physical team - like LA was last year.

?
Who was our power forward when we made it to game 7 of SCF?

#85 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

Win the cup but we will need some luck. :towel:

canucks141.png

#86 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

Win the cup but we will need some luck. :towel:

If the effort is like tonight against contending teams, it will take a lot of luck!

#87 zejono

zejono

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

Torres>>>sestito,weise,pini,ebbet

#88 Canucksftw0205

Canucksftw0205

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

Honestly, the Kings winning the cup last year gives me a lot of hope and optimism. They're proof that you don't have to be outstanding or even all that good in the regular season to shine in the playoffs. The playoffs are a whole other world. Our team's had struggles this season, but I'm liking the improvements I've seen lately- much tighter defensively and generating better scoring chances. Realistically, I don't think they'll advance too far in the playoffs, but I'm very hopeful that they'll do well and who knows, win the cup. We have a lot of talent on our team, it's a matter of everything coming together...
Respect your Edler! Posted Image

#89 naslundfan921

naslundfan921

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:46 AM

The key is how Kesler returns and how hot our goaltending can get. I think if Kassian can be a Torres like player (tough, big hitter with some timely goals) and Roy is far stronger than Lappy offensively as the third line C (remember Manny played just five pointless games in the playoffs during the cup run). So I don't see too much of a dropoff from what we were during the run.

The only exception as many of you have pointed out is the D core but even there with the improvement of Tanev and the gradual reliability of Garrison as this year has progressed I don't think we've lost too much there that can't be compensated if Cory (assumed starter) can show that he has the poise and talent to be an elite goalie (like he has for the most part this year)

Remember last year LA won the cup as the 8th seed where next to no one honestly thought they could win until after they dismantled us in the first round so as cliche as this statement is anything is possible and I for one think we can go deep provided Kesler comes back strong

#90 canso

canso

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:24 AM

If all the lads are healthy, play hungry (and at or near potential) come playoff time, and the lines click, this crew is most definitely capable of winning the drink. There's loads of talent on this team and some tougher players now as well, it's just a question of how they perform.

Even if they had brought in some super-exciting big pieces at the deadline, chemistry and performance would still be the deciding factors. For example look at Raymond- last year at this time he looked like a weak link, this season his performance makes him a great asset.

Personally, I just have my fingers crossed that we have a healthy group, hopefully with a couple games before the post-season to shake off the cobwebs.

Edited by canso, 07 April 2013 - 05:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.