Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CHIPS

Re-sign Roy now, in a week, or after playoffs?

116 posts in this topic

What do you guys think? Should we resign Roy now, wait a week and see how he does, or after the playoffs?

I personally think we should resign him for a 3 or 4 year extension now. He is only 30 and still got a few years of good hockey left. I think he would be willing to sign for $5m a year.

MG and management must have looked at his advanced stats and liked what they saw in Roy. So why wait? If he start performing very well, as management expected, he would be too expensive to resign.

With the salary cap coming down, I don't think we can pay him any more than $5m a year, even if he deserves it. I personally don't want to lose him to UFA, especially after we traded a 2nd round pick and a prospect for him.

Don't think he'll resign... Apparently he was looking for 6 million with Dallas

before the playoffs, hopefully he will have shown enough for a contract, then dominates in the playoffs and we got him for a cheaper price than if we waited til after. :P

I really want to keep him although we are using him as a rental.

He is a big, puzzle piece of our team. Keep him.

I hope he'll resign, if he doesn't we could be in the same place next season. We'd probably need to see Booth, Ballard and Lu gone in the summer though for that to happen

obviously wait and see how he plays before even thinking of a contract, especially since he was asking for a lot in Dallas

Might want to see how he plays before throwing big money at him. That said if he is good as advertised i think Gillis will make a push for him.

I don't trust MG to resign him so I'd say after MG is fired.

I hope Roy doesn't retire during the season or playoffs, so preferably after the playoffs.

According to capgeek, next year we have 2.26mil cap space and a roster of 14 signed, 7 ufa and 3 rfa, I do not think we will have the cap space to sign roy for the 5-6mil he was asking.

I'd like to re sign him especially after giving away a 2nd rounder and Connauton. I have a feeling Roy isn't thinking he's going to be staying here long because he didn't seem to interested in what number he would wear. Maybe after playing with this group and he builds some relationships he might change his mind. I think he'll do well here and might be a little rich for us. $4.5 is as high as I'd offer. The cap is going to kill us next year.

Only chance he re-signs is after the playoffs. That way we can try to get him to take a discount. Even 5M might be too much, depending if we make that cap space or not.

Resign =/= Re-sign.

On a better note, I'd sign him to a 1 year contract, tell him that new team, new teammates etc. FULL season to prove himself, if he can then give him the contract he deserves, if not... well then

Wait until after we win the cup!

kqa_resign_tipping-the-king-over.gif

We should wait and see how he does in the playoffs before we RE-SIGN him. And even then, it takes two to play ball. We'll have to convince him this team is worth staying on... and we'll have to have the cap space. He could command quite a bit of money.