The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Re-sign Roy now, in a week, or after playoffs?

CHIPS

What do you guys think? Should we resign Roy now, wait a week and see how he does, or after the playoffs?

I personally think we should resign him for a 3 or 4 year extension now. He is only 30 and still got a few years of good hockey left. I think he would be willing to sign for $5m a year.

MG and management must have looked at his advanced stats and liked what they saw in Roy. So why wait? If he start performing very well, as management expected, he would be too expensive to resign.

With the salary cap coming down, I don't think we can pay him any more than $5m a year, even if he deserves it. I personally don't want to lose him to UFA, especially after we traded a 2nd round pick and a prospect for him.

We should wait and see.

I would say after the playoffs, so we can see what happens, how he plays, and if we can get him to buy into the thing or not.

I think if we try now he wont accept less than he wants because he hasn't experienced anything as part of this group. But say we play well, win the division and go to the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs, and Roy really feels like he wants to be here and thinks we will continue to contend, then I would approach it and ask him to lower his wants.

I think a 3 year deal is best, I don't think we should go beyond that. I would offer 2 or 3 years at around 4.5 per maybe a bit more maybe a bit less but somewhere in that 4-5 range.

I hope he'll resign, if he doesn't we could be in the same place next season. We'd probably need to see Booth, Ballard and Lu gone in the summer though for that to happen

I'd like to re sign him especially after giving away a 2nd rounder and Connauton. I have a feeling Roy isn't thinking he's going to be staying here long because he didn't seem to interested in what number he would wear. Maybe after playing with this group and he builds some relationships he might change his mind. I think he'll do well here and might be a little rich for us. $4.5 is as high as I'd offer. The cap is going to kill us next year.

Resign =/= Re-sign.

On a better note, I'd sign him to a 1 year contract, tell him that new team, new teammates etc. FULL season to prove himself, if he can then give him the contract he deserves, if not... well then

Archived